"Curvy"

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Kevbo, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Saw the thread on the current Miss Surrey and the term "curvy" was bandied about -- what does it mean to you?

For the longest time, I took it to mean a woman with an hourglass shape -- not just big breasts or round hips/butt, but the whole combination. Kate Winslet, Scarlett Johanssen, a younger Jennifer Connelly, etc. But, here's the catch -- I always thought of curvy women as having relatively slim waists, hence the hourglass shape. I know Kate's not the slimmest actress out there but I would definitely count her as curvy.

It took me a while to realize that, to many (other) people, "curvy" seems to mean a woman who has boobs and butt (sure), but is also just generally thick. I get the impression that a woman with a big bust and round hips and a slim waist would NOT be "curvy" in many others' estimations.

So, what does "curvy" connote? Cite a famous example, if you can.

Thanks,
    Kev

2. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:

Curvy (noun)
      1. A line that deviates from straightness in a smooth, continuous fashion.
      2. A surface that deviates from planarity in a smooth, continuous fashion.
      3. Something characterized by such a line or surface, especially a rounded line or contour of the human body
    Unless a woman is shaped like a box, that's the correct definition for most women.

3. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Okay, no offense, but I'm going to be a little snarky. I didn't ask what "curvy" denoted, I asked what it connoted. If someone describes a woman as "curvy", what does it mean to you?

Kev

4. snoozan

Gold Member

Heeeeeeere we go again...

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Like yourself, to me curvy means an hourglass figure. When I think of curvy I think of Rosalind Russell and Marilyn Monroe. I tend not to pay much attention to the current crop of starlets. However, when I googled 'hour glass figure' images I found Lucy Pinder. I would kill to have a body that good. :cool:

6. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Wow. Not sure if it's all natural :rolleyes:, but definitely curvy...

Thx,
    Kev

7. No_Strings

Gold Member

They are.

8. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Marilyn would be the ultimate definition of a curvy woman. This lady though i wouldn't consider curvy at all. She is just skinny with big boobs. For me curvy doesn't mean just big fake boobs but bust, waste, hips that are all in proportion and all bigger then average

Eg;
    Drew Barrymore
    http://a0.vox.com/6a00c2252a6a3c604a00d41421e4c06a47-500pi

Jeniffer Hudson

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/2/1/1/1/16601112-16601116-large.jpg

9. Principessa

Gold Member

You think she's skinny? :confused: Drew Barrymore okay though she did have a breast reduction a while back.

Jenifer Hudson is pudgey! She has no discernible waistline. Her stylist needs to be shot; because everytime I see her on the red carpet she is wearing some white sack of a dress that does nothing for her.

Gabrielle Reese has an athletic body but I wouldn't necessarily call it curvy.

10. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Curvy to me would mean slim waisted with boobs and booty. The hourglass figure.

Thick is just thick.

11. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Jeniffer Hudson is at he top end of curvy but she has gorgeous curves. I dont think curvy should be restricted to the perfect hour glass figure.

12. SandraSmithCarver

SandraSmithCarver New Member

Albums:
    To me-"curvy" means naturally having a waistline-hips (buttie) and big breasts-Marilyn Monroe had a "curvy" figure, although she was a size 14, which by todays standards is almost obese! Jennifer hudson is a big girl, but she definitly has a "curvy" figure-all ass and breasts, and she has a beautiful face, she looks like a "real" woman to me

13. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually I said what it means to me. Most women have curves. Some have more on top than bottom and vice versa. "Curvy" to me means a woman with breasts and/or hips that are larger/wider than her waist. Does that meet your criteria for an answer?

Curvy can mean anyone from J-Lo to Connie Nielsen to Queen latifah in my book

14. snoozan

Gold Member

15. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Women will say they are curvy if they are overweight. Like on a dating website profile, "I am a real woman with curves, so I hope you can handle that." Thus the confusion. I think it should be, like others said, bigger breasts and hips/ass, but slim waist -- an hourglass shape. They can still be overweight and curvy if it is in the right proportion. I would say most women in reasonable shape with some muscle would be a bit curvy.

I don't know if they are fake, but here are three examples that I would call curvy:
    Busty Blonde
    Denise Milani
    ??????

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Okay...
    ANy woman painted by Frank Frazetta is "curvy".

To me it ALSO conjures a naturally curvaceous woman that meets the epitome of male attraction...

HArd to find real honest to goodness curvy girls these days... but the best living example of a truly curvy woman has got to be Aria Giovanni

She's all over the net... and she's all natural, too.

You can tell Madison Avenue is run by women and gay men, cause if straight men ran the ad world... all women in all ads would be shaped like Aria.

17. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

At the risk of appearing to be shamelessly self promoting,
    I consider myself to be curvy.

18. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

I would have to concur.

only thing is... a lot of women these days use it to refer to women who have ONLY the convex curves... with no concave curves.

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ahahaha, look what I started! You know you love it... :biggrin1:

Betcha really wanna spank me now...

Seconded.

20. Ed69

Gold Member

Any woman that does not have the figure of a 13 year old boy is curvy to me!:smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted