Customs ship to shadow Japanese whalers (+ Whale Killing Scum)

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Y'know, having Asian as well as Euro blood flowing thru my veins.... this is really nice. Thanks. :worried:

But it also allows me to sit on the fence and have a full view of either side's dirty laundry. :mad:

LA8PV

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I haven't read every word in this thread yet, but from what I have read I haven't yet found any reasons why whaling is so terribly wrong, and why people are getting so angry. Are you sure your arguments are rational?
Maybe Greenpeace has fucked up your minds, making you think that whales are superintelligent beings, or something?

I'm from one of those "terrible" whaling countries, Norway. The type of whale we hunt is called Minke Whale (Wikipedia). This particular type of whale is not a threatened species as far as I know.

Whaling - Wikipedia
The catch is made solely from the Northeast Atlantic Minke Whale population, which is estimated to consist of about 110,000 animals. Norwegian Minke Whale catches have fluctuated between 503 animals in 1997 to 546 in 2006.

B_blackkid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
We're humans, the only species that honestly hunts solely for fun and refuses to use the remains of the hunted; we're gods and animals our peons; what more is there than this?

After all, gods can disagree with eachother, but when push comes to shove only the strongest diety has a say.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Minke's aren't endangered, but Humpbacks are very much so. The Japanese originally said they were going after Humpbacks as well this season which is what prompted the Australian Govt to start taking action like making noises about sending the Navy down there to "observe".

As it is, Fisheries and Wildlife and Customs are both tasked with shadowing the whaling fleet to document the "scientific nature" of this hunt. The reality is they are looking for evidence to drag the Japanese through The Hague with.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
sorry -- you fail to address the issue -- japanese values define japanese character ... the japanese themselves claim it (whaling) as defining their culture ... they routinely buy and consume cetacean meat ... your airy dismissal of the japanese atrocities during WW II are part of the same value set they bear today (as witness their carnage of cetaceans on the high seas); most of what you quote is in fact revisionism, not actual history; why were they so easy to acquiesce to propaganda; the point I mentioned about their reportage again was to illustrate the national character --- no comparison could be made to Germany, as the Germans were not aware of what the Nazi bureaucracy was doing ... yearly fines are imposed on them for exceeding international quotas ... DNA tests have confirmed that in violation of the ban on commercial whaling, trade in whale meat of whales killed by other nations is being conducted ...

The fact that you have to make inapposite comparisons, and simply to resort to calling something ignorant, does not make it so. Clearly, you are just trying to defend the indefensible.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Want to do something to stop Japanese whaling? It will cost you a postage stamp. Here's how:

1) google to find the name and address of the Japanese ambassador to your country - or if there is a Japanese consulate near where you live then this.

2) Write a POLITE letter to the ambassador setting out that you feel strongly that whaling is wrong. If whaling by Japan has made you feel bad about all things Japanese (cars, electronics) to the extent that you are not going to buy Japanese in future then tell the ambassador. It is essential that you have the name of the person you are writing to, and you must be polite.

Iceland has responded to pressure. Japan has budged over humpbacks which might suggest further movement is possible.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If it were up to me, I'd send a submarine, and a few whaling ships would just "disappear".

I hope you're just kidding because I'd urge caution about advocating violence in pursuit of environmental stewardship. Violence would be only a very temporary solution and, worse, it would play right into the hands of hostile governments and large corporations who would just love to portray environmentalists as terrorists and give them a reason to wage violent crackdown back on the environmentalists.

Remember, the French government fatally bombed a Greenpeace ship in New Zealand and, to my knowledge, was never held accountable.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If it were up to me, I'd send a submarine, and a few whaling ships would just "disappear".

Unfortunately, the Southern Ocean is just too damn big and we don't have enough subs.:biggrin1:

*ahem* Post#23?

Submarines would make you look like a fool. Instead of the whales dying from the fishermen you've just blown out of the water they'll beach themselves after having their brains scrambled by the sonar you used to find the fishermen.

Vast improvement. Not.

I doubt the explosion or spilled fuel from the ship will improve the marine habitat any either.

Go with the postage stamp Jason mentioned.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
*ahem* Post#23?

Submarines would make you look like a fool. Instead of the whales dying from the fishermen you've just blown out of the water they'll beach themselves after having their brains scrambled by the sonar you used to find the fishermen.

Vast improvement. Not.

I doubt the explosion or spilled fuel from the ship will improve the marine habitat any either.

Go with the postage stamp Jason mentioned.

The problem with Jason's postage stamp is that it has proven ineffective; This is not a new issue, and the civilized world has been calling on the nipponese to stop for decades now.

I have no problem with lethal force, except, that unfortunately, it provides no long term solution.

Until consumers at large actually start boycotting anything tainted by nipponese trade or manufacture, and letting them know that is the reason, will they stop. That would, of course, also require the abandonment of globalism, and its supporting ideology (political correctness, secular humanism, humanist nihilism, whatever you want to call it).

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The problem with Jason's postage stamp is that it has proven ineffective; This is not a new issue, and the civilized world has been calling on the nipponese to stop for decades now.

Until consumers at large actually start boycotting anything tainted by nipponese trade or manufacture, and letting them know that is the reason, will they stop.

Hence the stamp.

See a lot of people have been calling on a lot of other people on a lot of things for quite some time now. Unfortunately it's mostly from their armchairs, and often left there when they leave the house.

Getting the right message to the right person in the right tone is a good suggestion. Maintaining that you hate ALL Japanese puts you firmly on the lunatic fringe and your voice will be ignored.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The reason I tend to disagree with that is that is the approach a lot of West Coast types have taken, i.e., that they personally have no problems with the japanese, in fact, they LOVE the japanese, but would prefer they not slaughter dolphins, etc.

I well remember one conversation I had with a telephone rep from Earth Island Institute.

By way of explanation,. I don't subscribe to political correctness (following Thomas Jefferson, I practice to critical thinking), so in that conversation I used the J-word, which made her uncomfortable. She was uncomfortable, because she was a californian, subscribing to political correctness, the justifying ideology for globalism.

Because california environmentalists subscribe to political correctness, they can go out and buy a japanese car (thus contributing to the japanese war chest for advancing whaling), then say they are working against whaling and dolphin slaughter.

That does not work.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
sorry -- you fail to address the issue -- japanese values define japanese character ... the japanese themselves claim it (whaling) as defining their culture ... they routinely buy and consume cetacean meat ... your airy dismissal of the japanese atrocities during WW II are part of the same value set they bear today (as witness their carnage of cetaceans on the high seas); most of what you quote is in fact revisionism, not actual history; why were they so easy to acquiesce to propaganda; the point I mentioned about their reportage again was to illustrate the national character --- no comparison could be made to Germany, as the Germans were not aware of what the Nazi bureaucracy was doing ... yearly fines are imposed on them for exceeding international quotas ... DNA tests have confirmed that in violation of the ban on commercial whaling, trade in whale meat of whales killed by other nations is being conducted ...

The fact that you have to make inapposite comparisons, and simply to resort to calling something ignorant, does not make it so. Clearly, you are just trying to defend the indefensible.

I'm not resorting to calling you ignorant. You are ignorant. Clearly, very very ignorant about Japanese people and culture. And you're preaching hate based on that ignorance. But, obviously you have no real case to make as you cannot argue against the points I presented earlier.

I urge you to reconsider your blind hatred here. But if you won't, I wouldn't be surprised. That is the nature of hateful people.

I am curious though, what's the real source of your hatred for Japanese? Are you Chinese? Korean? Know one intimately? Did a relative of yours die in the Pacific theater? Your irrational hatred for Japanese isn't sourced from whaling.