Cute and Handsome

bigdog83

Sexy Member
Media
I think it means shit.......and us guys over think things.

I can not count how many times I have got laid by girls who have said "zomgg!! Your so cute!!".

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The question could be solved in a Google (Image) search:

• Cute
    cute
    /kyo͞ot/Adjective:
    • Attractive in a pretty or endearing way.

• Handsome
    hand·some
    /ˈhan(d)səm/Adjective:
    • (of a man) Good-looking.
    • (of a woman) Striking and imposing in good looks rather than conventionally pretty.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
More accurate Google searches for the OP's question:

cute man

handsome man

I can't distinguish a difference between the two.

I would have thought more people would describe Zac Efron as "cute" than "handsome" because of his age, but apparently he's been linked often enough with the word "handsome" that he appears in the top ten. Actually, the same photo of Zac appears on both searches where I am, so people on the internet have collectively agreed that he's BOTH cute and handsome.

As ManlyBanisters pointed out earlier, whether someone uses one term or the other depends on their own personal definition. There seems to be a lot of people in this thread who seem to be making the argument that the word "cute" isn't as good of a descriptor, but the person who uses it might consider it to be the highest compliment.

Last edited:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
For me personally, I prefer the term cute. I don't use the word handsome, typically. If I describe a guy I am into as cute, this means I find him good-looking in the general sense and personally attractive to me physically/sexually.

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL, I loved seeing the baby panda bear and all the cute puppies and kittens and hedgehogs, but I don't think it helped to satisfy the OP's curiosity. :tongue:

Well, his curiosity stems from semantics. Words are ever changing. What we say now may bare different connotations to different individuals of different times. Yet, we can generally say, even by definition (denotations) that the two words express different degrees of attractive traits. If a person describes an adult male individual cute, the person is associating them stuffed panda bear or puppy. If a person describes an adult male as handsome, there is not much need for further concision:

• Cute
    cute
    /kyo͞ot/Adjective:
    • Attractive in a pretty or endearing way.
    • ...Pretty. Endearing. Way. The words are vague, but indicates the youthful nature in cute. Justin Bieber hair cuts are pretty in a way. Charlie Brown's dismal pouts are endearing in a way. The words passive. Its interchangeable with adorable in many occasions. Adult men in power with beautiful wives won't often like to be called adorable. I sense the OP rather not be

[*]Handsome
    hand·some
    /ˈhan(d)səm/Adjective:
    • (of a man) Good-looking.
    • Direct and forward in it's description, handsome is an adjective with power and assertion. The word exemplifies the American ideal of masculinity (or beauty) in definition: Good-looking. Just good. There is no extravagance in good. No shallow superficiality insinuated, or pithiness. There isn't even anything pretty about good, because good is a B(+/-) in school, or more than enough to get by. Its not great-looking, because greatness requires spending an inordinate amount of time on one's look and that borders into the pretty (and possibly cute) department. There are no pop punk bands/pop power bands with the name "Handsome is What We Aim For" because pop + punk + power =/= handsome.

Now, I am not saying people don't and won't use them however they see fit. If a hippie chick chewing on liquorice wood with knitted garments, a brownie bag and ankle bracelet compliments you with an elongated "cuuuute", then I'd process the information as nothing less than the highest sexual compliment. And the same sentiments should be shared if a man with mechanic coveralls with a label reading Bubba perched on a stool outside a tavern's male restroom calling you "cute" in a rough tone and smile; clearly he liked you. However, I wouldn't feel as complimented if one of those drunken make-up faced chicks at bar's counter slurred "aww how cute" to me. The same goes for a water-cooler conversation with an exec, whom may say "that tie looks cute on you".

Its all about the context clues. But, more often than not, you can't lose when a male and being called handsome.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For me personally, I prefer the term cute. I don't use the word handsome, typically. If I describe a guy I am into as cute, this means I find him good-looking in the general sense and personally attractive to me physically/sexually.

I'm the same way! It's incredibly rare for me to use the word "handsome" even if I think it's fitting. Handsome sounds too formal to my ear. It reminds me of the language of fairy tales. I almost always use the word cute instead.

Posting up images of cute animals is irrelevant to whether or not it means that a cute man is one that I want to have sex with. Considering the fact that the two Google searches I posted were so close to each other when those words are applied to MEN, it would appear that most people who use English also agree with me, since the Google algorithm is based upon usage, not prescriptive dictionary definitions.

Last edited:

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
well you're the kind of girl that gushes over baby panda bears. you're a cute girl. so, you want a cute guy. plus, i wasn't speaking solely on the basis of the images. I was speaking in the broadest terms of the use of google searching. i hoped i made that clear.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
well you're the kind of girl that gushes over baby panda bears. you're a cute girl. so, you want a cute guy. plus, i wasn't speaking solely on the basis of the images. I was speaking in the broadest terms of the use of google searching. i hoped i made that clear.

You aren't listening.

Besides, who doesn't gush over baby pandas? Wouldn't that make just about everyone a "cute" person?

You're telling me what I think instead of hearing that I don't like the WORD handsome, so I don't use it, and that the word cute doesn't mean to me what it means to you. Most people I know wouldn't say, "I just saw a handsome man walking down the street" they would say, "I just saw a cute guy walking down the street." I think it's more commonly used.

Words have more than one meaning. The person who looks at a hot woman and says "Damn!" to indicate that she's hot doesn't mean the same thing when he accidentally flushes his winning lottery ticket down the toilet and says, "Damn!" Although I can see from your explanation that you would extrapolate that the second man actually got aroused.

The OP asked for each individual's opinion and I've given mine. You're trying to tell me that I don't mean what I said I mean because I would use the word cute to describe a baby panda. That makes as much sense as trying to reason that I actually also want to have sex with baby pandas.

Last edited:

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You aren't listening.
I'll admit, I wasn't listening. I was reading the words though. Not out loud.

Besides, who doesn't gush over baby pandas? Wouldn't that make just about everyone a "cute" person?

I dont. I know plenty of people who wouldn't care if baby pandas exploded on a television show documented via some recording device to be placed upon YouTube. Matter of fact, I'm sure numerous individuals laughed at bits comprable to this in shows like Robot Chicken or Family Guy. However, I do find them cute.

You're telling me what I think instead of hearing that I don't like the WORD handsome...

Why do you think I am telling you what you think? Could you please direct me to such an occasion. If I did, I would be willing to apologize, because my intentions weren't to assume understanding of the inner-workings of your mind.

...so I don't use it, and that the word cute doesn't mean to me what it means to you. Most people I know wouldn't say, "I just saw a handsome man walking down the street" they would say, "I just saw a cute guy walking down the street." I think it's more commonly used.

I'd say you're correct. More people do use the word cute. I thought I already addressed that issue in the portion where I directed the OP to context clues. My bad.

Words have more than one meaning. The person who looks at a hot woman and says "Damn!" to indicate that she's hot doesn't mean the same thing when he accidentally flushes his winning lottery ticket down the toilet and says, "Damn!" Although I can see from your explanation that you would extrapolate that the second man actually got aroused.

Presumptuous.

The OP asked for each individual's opinion and I've given mine. You're trying to tell me that I don't mean what I said I mean because I would use the word cute to describe a baby panda. That makes as much sense as trying to reason that I actually also want to have sex with baby pandas.

I am aware of what you meant. What I think you aren't understanding is what you meant isn't going to always be understood. The very topic we are threading within was born from the confusion formulated between motives and actualities. The issue the OP seems to have is with the disparity between "prescriptive dictionary definitions" and actual American colloquial usage. In presenting the former and seperating them from their subjects, I was not inferring you wouldn't have a sexual appetite for someone whom was "cute" due to the fact it's associated with panda bears & stuffed animals.

What I am saying is cute is a soft word. Who wants to fuck the cute person? Maybe you. Maybe her. Maybe a boat load of girls. But I think there is a a degree of difference between cute and handsome in common use, and handsome would be higher on the attractiveness scale.

I was not questioning your motives, but your execution. Handsome is a sparsely used multi-syllabic word in our modern, fast, economical, global world. In the same way "gorgeous" or "marvelous" are becoming more unnecessary for conversational speech - they are rich words. Why over-work our mouths or fingers for all those letters when cute can do the job? Of course, cute could be said sarcastically. Also, there are the occasions when cute could very well be as attractive as a baby panda; something you wouldn't fuck, but fucking adorable as hell.

But either way, I think you're in the right. You're the woman here. He did post this in the Women's Issue section. Your POV overrules my own. Continue.

Sidenote: I don't see why you wouldn't have sex with a panda. They are going extinct. They need to love. Shows how much you care about things that are cute.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You sure do like to beat a dead horse, don't you?

You said that I'm a cute woman so I like cute guys because I think pandas are cute. That's you telling me what I think. I was saying that applying the word cute to both a panda and a fuckable guy doesn't mean that they're related in any way. It doesn't mean that I think a guy is soft.

You've confused presumptuousness with sarcasm. You are also strangely literal. I suppose that you think I actually think you're literally beating a dead horse right now?

I've called the most fuckable men on the planet cute, so the "attractiveness" scale for me doesn't get any higher than that. That's why I used the word "I" to give my opinion, because it's my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. You think handsome is better than cute. That's your opinion.

So, your opinion of the word cute is different from mine. They're both valid opinions, and as me and ManlyBanisters have pointed out over and over again, what is meant differs depending on who uses it.

It isn't valid to redefine what I said to fit what you believe, not because of your gender but because it still doesn't change what I meant and you aren't the spokesperson on the behalf of women regarding what we collectively agree is the proper usage of the words cute and handsome.

Last edited:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
You sure do like to beat a dead horse, don't you?

You said that I'm a cute woman so I like cute guys because I think pandas are cute. That's you telling me what I think. I was saying that applying the word cute to both a panda and a fuckable guy doesn't mean that they're related in any way.

You've confused presumptuousness with sarcasm.

I've called the most fuckable men on the planet cute, so the "attractiveness" scale for me doesn't get any higher than that. That's why I used the word "I" to give my opinion.

Your opinion of the word cute is different from mine. They're both valid opinions. It ceases to become valid when you try to redefine what I said to fit what you believe, not because of your gender.

No shortage of dead horse beaters around here lately.