Cycling, Drugs, Armstrong etc.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never paid any attention to cycling...i read an excellent article (link below) about the disconnect in passion for cycling between americans and europeans.

the article captures perfectly how i did not know just how corrupt cycling was in terms of turning a blind eye to doping etc but it seems to be completely known and totally normal in European circles, where cycling is revered.

the only things i knew about cycling aside from the occasional highlight or crash, were Greg LeMond, and Lance Armstrong.

i had heard about the last couple of guys, Landis and some other american caught for doping and i recall the commotion of the last couple years, and all the questions about Armstrong etc. and found it very confusing, until the article i mentioned shed alot of light on it. on why the french/europeans take such a dim view of armstrong etc. on the attitude towards doping in cycling...it was very interesting.

i have to say i always found something a tad suspicious about Armstrong, as much as i admire the incredible fortitude and comeback he made, i cannot believe that suddenly he turned into superman, and without drugs, suddenly was besting the best in the world many of whom were actually *ON* them as well.

(below is the article, 3 pages and very interesting)
Lance Armstrong represents clash of cultures in Tour de France - The Bonus - SI.com

are there any cycling fans here who can shed some light on this for an amateur observer like myself?

what are your thoughts, about the article i posted, Armstrong, history of doping and cycling, and any other interesting important things you could share w/me?

i read about a lawsuit that Armstrong was involved in where former friends said he admitted it while in the hospital during his cancer treatment, then i looked at the lawsuit, and it seemed pretty plausible once i read up on it.

then this latest testing fiasco...

can anyone shed some more light on this stuff, that i may have missed in my very rudimentary understanding of the recent (as well as longer term) history of doping and cycling?

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cycling is the dirtiest sport known to man. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that anyone can win 7 times naturally while blowing away doped up competition. Lance is just another roger clemens.