cycling shorts, jockstraps, numb nuts

musicman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am an avid bicyclist, and have a question for other guys about cycling shorts, jocks, and numbness. My lesbian cycling partner thinks I should wear spandex all the time. I am a little shy about it, although I've done it sometimes. I usually wear a jockstrap even though the shorts are designed to be worn without one, because I don't like flopping around on the bike. The jock, though, can cause chaffing and sometimes it just feels too tight after having everything all crunched up tightly on long rides. Do others experience 'numb nuts?' I just got a new bike and seat so hope this goes away. Any thoughts?

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
musicman said:
I am an avid bicyclist, and have a question for other guys about cycling shorts, jocks, and numbness. My lesbian cycling partner thinks I should wear spandex all the time. I am a little shy about it, although I've done it sometimes. I usually wear a jockstrap even though the shorts are designed to be worn without one, because I don't like flopping around on the bike. The jock, though, can cause chaffing and sometimes it just feels too tight after having everything all crunched up tightly on long rides. Do others experience 'numb nuts?' I just got a new bike and seat so hope this goes away. Any thoughts?

I last wore those things in 1990. They looked a bit obscene. I got lots and lots of stares. Between the bike seat and the nut crushers, I decided it was either one or the other so I switched to regular parachute shorts and lo and behold, comfort, no perceptable difference in resistance and they show a nice bulge.

sportmale

Just Browsing
Media
hi I also do lots bycicle, mountain bike and course and wear spandex shorts or combi from good brands like Assos or Zerorh+. They are made for that and are extremelly comfortable for me.
Of course your bulge is strechted and shown when walking around but you are not supposed to walk around with, isn't it ? In Europe the guys also have penis and balls but I think we are not affraid to wear those thights clothes. Just try to feel happy with your body and think that is more important to use those to avoid pains after sports, nobody will feel offended if your bulge is bigger than others, have fun ...

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jocks are bad for bicycling. They bunch everything up in a place where your meat and veg are bound to get squished. Cycling shorts are the way to go. If you feel uncomfortable about wearing just spandex, get a pair of running shorts to wear over them.

I bike a lot and have always enjoyed the looks I get, 'course, my butt and thighs stand out a lot more in spandex than they do in regular shorts so that might be part of it! You're riding to get in shape and why not let the world see your progress!

A good seat is almost worth its weight in gold. The bontrager seat that is on my Trek is great, it curves up at the back slightly and the back is split so there's not nearly so much compression. I highly recommend getting a seat that is split in the back and has a depression down the middle. Long rides always make mr. happy a little slow to come to life, but the seat I have now helps a lot.

flnkdguy

Experimental Member
Media
I wear the lycra bike shorts, but with a thong underneath for support. The thong doesn't chafe like a jock would and the bulge is still there but less detailed.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
To deal with the chafing wear lycra/spandex with chamois and some mountain biking shorts over them.If you feel you must wear a jock, wearing a jock with a full back instead of straps.

The numbness is most likely caused by the saddle putting pressure on the radix penis (root) and there by transferring the road friction (vibration). If the saddle has rails you might want to move the saddle back or forth a little. If the saddle is too far back, you may be sitting on the saddle's nose; this will either directly apply pressure to the root or cause your legs to spread some and slightly strain the general region. If you still have problems after adjusting the saddle, you might need a saddle that has a more sloped and/or narrow nose. If your bike does not have rails you may want to get a new saddle and saddle stem, rails also serve the purpose of cushioning road friction. There are lots of choices in saddle shapes and designs, for a sample check out performance bike. If you have a good bike shop near you, go there, having someone to interact with helps.

lelyal

Cherished Member
Media
Wear bike shorts. They're designed to cushion your crotch. If you're too embarassed then wear an overshort. Also check the seat. Your weight should be on your sit bones, not soft tissue. Good shorts and a good seat will make biking much more enjoyable.

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to ride, and race a bit competitvely, years ago. I guess I was luck, neverhad numbness, really. my taint area would get sore on centruy plus rides sometimes, but that was abut it. the first time i tried on spandex shorts, i tried to wear briefs with them. it took about 10 seconds flat for me to give that up. I never tried wo wear a jock,either. also, I am not all that large, penis or balls, at least when flaccid. grower not a shower. I would on occasion get hard while riding, which could hurt. but, i was never shy about going around in my shorts at all. I never really did it non riding though.

-Kinkymanca

kelp

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have a similar problem..but am a pro rider (horses) ..both rodeo and dressage..Rodeo is ok..wear wranglers and jockstrap no problems. But with dressage the jockstrap puts too much bulge to the front. Ive tried wearing skins.. really tight like the cycling shorts but everything starts working its way down my thigh,,so now wear jockstrap and face my cock upwards..practical..not always comfortable!

SpandexGear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
IanTheTall said:
To deal with the chafing wear lycra/spandex with chamois and some mountain biking shorts over them.If you feel you must wear a jock, wearing a jock with a full back instead of straps.

The numbness is most likely caused by the saddle putting pressure on the radix penis (root) and there by transferring the road friction (vibration). If the saddle has rails you might want to move the saddle back or forth a little. If the saddle is too far back, you may be sitting on the saddle's nose; this will either directly apply pressure to the root or cause your legs to spread some and slightly strain the general region. If you still have problems after adjusting the saddle, you might need a saddle that has a more sloped and/or narrow nose. If your bike does not have rails you may want to get a new saddle and saddle stem, rails also serve the purpose of cushioning road friction. There are lots of choices in saddle shapes and designs, for a sample check out performance bike. If you have a good bike shop near you, go there, having someone to interact with helps.

Great advice IanTheHall -- this worked for me -- a few years ago I was starting to get numbness in my balls and shaft -- and was told by a good buddy to make these adjustments to my bike -- worked.

Shorts. Gotta go with padded lycra/spandex for cycling -- most comfort you will find in the saddle. When you are cycling -- people kinda expect to see you in them -- so don't worry too much about what others might think. Try shorts with more panels (8+) and a bit larger than is recommended. Conventional advice is to wear them very snug -- but I find they are more comfortable around my cock and balls if they are just a tad bigger than snug (but not loose). More panels means a better fit too. Also try out different styles of padding -- some are less bulky than others and you might find they fit better around your cock and balls.

Reactions: 22cyclist22

musicman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
IanTheTall said:
The numbness is most likely caused by the saddle putting pressure on the radix penis (root) and there by transferring the road friction (vibration).

Thanks Ian, and all. Actually, I just got a new a few days ago, they put on a saddle for me which is supposed to give 82% blood flow to the nether-regions, compared to 18% for the regular type. This one is sort of split down the middle. I'm going in for a fitting today, and will plan to ask.

9inchRob

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What has happened to the world where big dicked guys...or anyone for that matter, are scared to have a jeans bulge, a speedos bulge or a bike shorts bulge.

Genital bulges are natural and beautiful and a cause for great pride in the displaying!!!

mushroomcap

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hey,be thankful that you have enough to flop around in your shorts. I do a lot of riding and between the shorts squeezing my package and needing the blood supply elsewhere, my tool shrinks down to almost nothing. I'd love to have a nice bulge in the front of my shorts. So just position your cock where ever it's the most comfortable and don't worry about who's looking. We're most likely admiring you.

musicman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Okay, guys, here's the update. Today I had my fitting at the bike shop for my new bike, and explained to the fitter that I have prostate hyperplasia and was concerned about the seat, so he switched it out. Seems to be better. I also got the expensive shorts with multi-panels and padding, lycra/spandex, and wore those, no jock, and this may be the answer. I went on a 50 mile ride today with my lesbian cycling partner and Mr. Happy and The Boyz don't feel as numb as they did yesterday on my 47 mile ride with the other seat and shorts. So I think that's progress. I think I will angle the front of the seat down a little more.

Trekrider

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wear lycra shorts alot being a keen mountain biker and have to say that I've never had issues being seen in them. I don't know if it's just Australian culture of not caring what people wear, but never had comments about the bulge....don't forget this is the country where Speedos came from. Even when I've had the cycle shorts on in a shopping centre or some other non riding environment no one even looks.
It does make a difference as far as comfort goes as to what shorts you wear; basically the more expensive and the more panels the more comfortable.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
I love cycling and a couple of years ago went back to it in a big way (I spent quite a lot of time on holiday cycling along the Canal du Midi — mainly on the flat! — near Caracassone in S France).

I have never found a reliably comfortable combination of bike, saddle and kit. Whatever I do, unless I ride in a pretty ungainly manner, I find my thighs will rub hard against the sides of my balls and after a few miles I have horrendous chafing on one side or the other, or usually on both. Two years ago it was bad enough to convince me that I should not try it again.

Any other guy ... especially one very well endowed in the balls dept. ... with similar experience? Even better, any advice?

musicman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Okay, guys, here's the update. I just did a huge ride - 93 miles - and Mr. Happy is a little numb. This with the new shorts and seat. Any thoughts?