Da Beeeeeez

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Heather LouAnna, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    The summary of the issue:

Honeybees are vanishing at an alarming rate. There's no explanation as to why this is occuring as yet. This has been reported in the US, Europe, and Brazil.

There's a quote flying around the internet which is as follows: "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left." This quote is said to have been uttered by none of than Albert Einstein. I've found several sites that lead me to believe that this is an incorrect citation, but the words still hold a very heavy impact. I wont bother posting the links that lead me to believe Einstein didn't say this but here's a google link.

Vanishing Honeybees - CNN
    The Vanishing - NRDC
    Vanishing Bees Threaten US Crops - BBC
    Mystery of The Vanishing Bees - IHT

This has been going on for a year. Wouldn't it make sense to put a tiny tracker on some of these bees?!?!?!?!?! What's stopping them from doing this? Would equipping them with a tracker interfere with their normal activities in vanishing?

A few explanations:
    Global Warming
    Pesticides
    Killer Bees?!

Ok. Everyone break out your tinfoil hats and discuss.

2. SoLowHung

SoLowHung New Member

Funny, me and someone else from this site were just talking about this. Thank you for debunking Einstein's quotes because I heard the same thing.

What Snopes has to say

I have also heard about a theory that it is all the digital signals we are putting into the air due to GPS and mobile phones. Thing is, they are not finding the bees dead; they are just not coming back to the hive which makes some believe that they are getting mixed up and cannot find their way.

Are mobile phones wiping out our bees? - Independent Online Edition > Wildlife

I mean to do more research on it but the facts are scary so far. A lot of the keepers are saying 20-70% reductions. We buy honey from a local keeper and I'm planning on asking him about it next time we meet. I'll have to let you know what he says.

3. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been trying to research it all day (bored at work. haha!), and there's really...not much to find. lol If anyone has any incite at all, please divulge.

4. B_spiker067

B_spiker067 New Member

Maybe its a poison gene in a genetically modified crop?

5. NCbear

Gold Member

I thought National Geographic said it was some sort of fungal infection that was killing them.

NCbear (who reads his monthly issues ONCE and then donates them to local schools)

6. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Maybe the same thing that wasn't killing frogs during the last mysterious biosphere crisis a few years ago.

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted