Dad as Roommate?

thchill

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks for everyone's advice. I had an interesting weekend with my dad, and I am still trying to decide what I think about things. However, I am not worried about any of my previous concerns. I will fill everyone in later when I have more time.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you pay for half of everything you are roomies and all is fair. If dad is paying you aren't roommates you are under dads rules and don't have equal rights or say.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think there was a Russel Crowe movie like this
you and your dad have the same relationship?
either way, it's only a year

Funny you mention that. In that movie, shot and set in Australia, the son is gay and the dad is widowed and straight, and the dad is a little "too cool" with son being gay, so cool with it that it's more than a bit smothering for the son. It was a nice fantasy, but I can't imagine very many father-son relationships being like the one in the movie.

thchill

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks again for all of the advice.

I went home to talk about the situation last weekend. Completely unintentionally, and very embarassingly, my dad caught me rubbing one out during the visit.

At this point there's nothing left to hide, so it looks like I am giving the roommate thing a chance.

fallon2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Basically, if you DON'T move in with dad what are your other options?

Therefore, suck it UP, make the best of a bad situation.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there it is.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Free rent is really a huge plus.

People who can reasonably stay home with parents, would be wise to do so, especially with a savings/investment plan that will help them save up a sizable down payment towards marriage and buying a house later on. It really helps expand your options, if you can save up the money while you can make some money, without endless bills continually draining your finances.

totally agree...I've been out on my own for a long time and I can only imagine the ton of cash I could have saved if I had the opportunity to stay rent-free for a year...

Str8guy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Coming from someone who is roommates with their dad, it's really not that much different than living with a guy that's your friend. I pay my way in utilities and such, but I'm thankfully saving money for student loans, etc. We're guys. We've seen eachother naked, with morning wood, have caught eachother jerking off, we both bring girls home, even plan for it by taking turns, etc...I don't have a problem and my dad didn't. It might help that we're pretty much identical. But still, at the end of the day, we're guys. It also helps that he's my dad. I have nothing to be ashamed of with my dad, or shouldn't be I guess.

SR_Manny Manparts

Experimental Member
Media
that's really cool to have an open relationship like that

Coming from someone who is roommates with their dad, it's really not that much different than living with a guy that's your friend. I pay my way in utilities and such, but I'm thankfully saving money for student loans, etc. We're guys. We've seen eachother naked, with morning wood, have caught eachother jerking off, we both bring girls home, even plan for it by taking turns, etc...I don't have a problem and my dad didn't. It might help that we're pretty much identical. But still, at the end of the day, we're guys. It also helps that he's my dad. I have nothing to be ashamed of with my dad, or shouldn't be I guess.

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a studio apt in town, and own a nice home a few hours away. I only get to go there infequently these days. My daughter needed a place to stay for a month or so between apts. She is in her 20's. My studio is TIE-NEEE!. She slept on the coach, about 3 ft from my bed. Additionally, there is someone in my life, and he occasionally stays with me in the apt. Before she moved in for the month, we talked out the details and worked it out regarding privacy, etc. She had one or two other places to crash with friends, and she had a little more space there. So weekends and occasional weeknights were away. Plus I was away at times as well.

She moved into her new apt. and is happy. She brought her new b/f to my apt, and also some other friends and we made dinner before she moved. It was a very memorable time for me. Granted, it was a short time, and if it had been longer, it would have been more complicated. But the important thing was talking up front which has been addressed here several times.

Although you're an adult, you have to remember that your dad will have some basic house rules. I certainly still do. However, if I know that we can trust each other to do our best to make nice, comfortable, safe, etc. then I will accomodate a lot. If you do your part, I'll be your dad will do his to help you feel comfortable.

Best to you.

thchill

Just Browsing
Media
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finished my first few days rooming with my dad. It's been a little strange because he caught me unloading my load during our last visit. However, that definitely seemed ot break the ice. So, I am still getting used to his treating me like an adult. However, so far so good.

SR_Manny Manparts

Experimental Member
Media
that's good man, one jerk is all it took!! :wink:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finished my first few days rooming with my dad. It's been a little strange because he caught me unloading my load during our last visit. However, that definitely seemed ot break the ice. So, I am still getting used to his treating me like an adult. However, so far so good.