Dad = Boyfriend

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A study shows that women pick partners who look like their father (assuming the woman has had a happy relationship with her father).

Apparently the same is also true for men; they pick partners who resemble their mother.

Its quite interesting and the basic premise is that:

When we are children we don't "know" exactly what a man/woman is or should be. Therefore we get this key information defining the sexes from our parent(s). Its called sexual imprinting.

The majority of people seem to follow the pattern.

Article: BBC NEWS | Health | Women pick men who look like dad

Thoughts/comments?

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find that interesting. My father is 5'9 with blue eyes. I have never dated a man thats 5'9 or a man with blue eyes. Everyone I have ever dated has been 5'11 and up with brown eyes.

I do however hold every man I'm interested in up to my father in comparison, for manners and general likability. So far I have never dated a man worthy of the comparison. Not saying I'm a box of chocolates, but my Dad is special to me and for some reason I do not think I will ever find a man quite like him.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A study shows that women pick partners who look like their father (assuming the woman has had a happy relationship with her father).

Apparently the same is also true for men; they pick partners who resemble their mother.

When we are children we don't "know" exactly what a man/woman is or should be. Therefore we get this key information defining the sexes from our parent(s). Its called sexual imprinting.

Thoughts/comments?

This pattern has been found in a whole bunch of studies. I don't think it applies to me (although my relationship with my dad was somewhat rocky), but it does seem to be a common finding.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My step niece married a guy that looked like my brother-in-law. It didn't last too long.

None of my immediate family married people that looked like my parents. Even the men I hooked up with never looked like my Mom or looked like my Dad.

My familial situation must be a wild card in regard to that study.:smile:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its not necessarily a compelte resemblance but is usually "the nose", "the eyes" or "the jaw" that are common to the parent and the partner.

Although some people's partners do have a very striking resemblance to their parent. A lot of people also say their partners are "like their dad" in values, personal quirks and mannerisms etc.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Its not necessarily a compelte resemblance but is usually "the nose", "the eyes" or "the jaw" that are common to the parent and the partner.

Although some people's partners do have a very striking resemblance to their parent. A lot of people also say their partners are "like their dad" in values, personal quirks and mannerisms etc.

I do have to admit to having a partner who had a lot in common with my dad personality wise. Many values in common. Although looks wise he was vey different.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My husband doesn't resemble my Dad in the least as far as appearances go. But they are both gentlemen who treat their women like queens. Dad's 6'3", Cap's well, not that tall. But they get along like drinking buddies and I dare not leave them alone together. Dad becomes a little kid and Cap stirs up shit all the time. There's this one incident of the can of gasoline and the picnic table, but I'm not supposed to know anything about it - plausible deniability.

I've seen picture of Cap's Mom and again, no physical resemblance, but he says I do think a lot like she did.

Maybe there's something to those stories.

LPSGeezer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Although that is an interesting view of people and a parent look a like, I don't buy into it. My Mom is a short cuddly redhead while my wife is a tall blonde athletic model type. The similarities that I find in common are that we are all from the same genetic pool so there's no surprise that someone you're interested in or are dating has a jaw line, eyes etc. that could resemble a family member once or twice removed. But what about gay men, they're obviously not going to look for a man who resembles Mom, besides unconsciously looking for 'the parents' is a little too incestuous for me. Maybe we look for the best traits our patents have in another person rather than the resemblance in looks.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

It'll be interesting to see how this translates to gay & lesbian relationships, as the few men in my life that I've been in long relationships with come nowhere close to looking like my mother or father. And that goes beyond the obvious. :wink:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It'll be interesting to see how this translates to gay & lesbian relationships, as the few men in my life that I've been in long relationships with come nowhere close to looking like my mother or father. And that goes beyond the obvious. :wink:

I was thinking about that too. I've often wondered if the partners of my gay friends are anything like their parents.

My dad looked like Fred Flintstone. I've yet to date/marry anyone resembling him.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media

Thoughts/comments?

I had a fab relationship with my dad but my guys have been totally different lookswise to my dad.

Dad is Polish,my guy is black.
Dad is quite slender,my guy is fairly muscly.
Dad is blue eyed,my guy has brown eyes
Dad has hair,my guy shaves his off.
Dad is suited and booted,my guy is a cop so wears a uniform,in his spare time jeans and sports shoes/shoes.
Dad hasnt got tattoos,my guy has 2 massive ones:biggrin1:

Personalitywise,they are sort of similar....well they both think i'm the best thing since sliced bread!!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Both are confidant,placid,persuasive and humourous but in different ways.

I look nothing like my guys mum..

She's tall,i'm 5ft
She's dark,i'm fair
She's skinny,i'm curvylicious
She's straightlaced,i'm pierced,tattood and defo not straightlaced:biggrin1:

I'm hyper,she's very very laid back
I'm short tempered,she doesnt have a temper i don't think
I'm loud,she's very quiet UNTIL someone has pi$$ed her right off!

My 3 ex gfs have looked opposite to my mother...
she's tall,they've been less than 5ft4
she's dark,they've been blonde
She's flatchested,they have bazookas
She's fiery,they've been placid
She's violent,they've been softies

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting. I have never dated a man who had a mother who looks like me. My own father is very light blonde, and I have only dated one man who has such light colored hair. I have dated two other "dirty blondes" who had darker hair, but all the rest have been brunettes.

My type has always been Clark Kent. Dark hair, blue eyes, light skin, trying to save the world.

I go for the hero types. I suppose that is one way in which I look for a man who is like my father. My father is a good man, a reluctant hero, a quiet hero, a man of incredibly strong character and moral fortitude. He does so many good things and no one ever knows about them because he does what he does because he feels that it's the right thing to do, not for praise or recognition. No one will probably ever know half the good things that my father unselfishly does for the benefit of others and to help make a difference in people's lives. Those are the type of men I fall for, men whose character reminds me of my father. Men I look up to.

Last edited:

the_new_godiva

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Put me in the minority then. My Dad and I have always been very close, with nothing sour in our relationship, but my bf couldn't be more different than him. I don't just mean eye and hair colour, I mean polar-opposites even in temperament and likes/dislikes.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Thoughts/comments?

Where does that leave gay people?