Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This sounds like the kind of scientific study which never seemed too usefull or accurate to me. I agree that it may be helpful to get a better understanding of general rules of attraction, but that's all they will ever be is "general". I don't buy "sexual imprinting" as a serious phenomenon.

It seems to ignore a few key facts and tendencies of society. Namely, that people tend right off the bat to form social groups with "like" people (aka same race, general income, religious views, etc.). These groups, although never totally homogenous, do tend to have a certain "likeness" in appearance. Also, although genetic drift occurs everywhere, it occurs in varying scales. Not that Hungary has no diversity but it certainly isn't Queens. The vast majority of the population are white and of central and eastern european descent. Not everyone is going to have the same facial appearance, but really if you consider nose length, lip size, etc. etc., you'd probably find that, in general, they (and all of us) are all more alike than different. I would think this would be even more true when almost everyone being used for data is of a common general ancestry.

As cynical as I can be about the intelligence of the general public, I just can't believe that we are all forming relationships based upon some subconcious programming. It seems like there's something else as a cause here; such as the tendency of most societies to cause men and women to already be pre-disposed to associating with people of similar appearances.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This sounds like the kind of scientific study which never seemed too usefull or accurate to me. I agree that it may be helpful to get a better understanding of general rules of attraction, but that's all they will ever be is "general". I don't buy "sexual imprinting" as a serious phenomenon.

It seems to ignore a few key facts and tendencies of society. Namely, that people tend right off the bat to form social groups with "like" people (aka same race, general income, religious views, etc.).
As cynical as I can be about the intelligence of the general public, I just can't believe that we are all forming relationships based upon some subconcious programming. It seems like there's something else as a cause here; such as the tendency of most societies to cause men and women to already be pre-disposed to associating with people of similar appearances.

Although I haven't seen the original article, I think the researchers probably mentioned all this in it. Having seen many psych articles I know they usually acknowledge stuff like this. And it has been shown that people do tend to partner with like people, mostly because this is who they associate with.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here is another BBC article:

BBC NEWS | Health | Partner choice 'shaped by father'

You see the resemblance between Nigella Lawson's father and her husband. It is a facial resemblance.

Some of you are going into far too much detail in the wrong direction. Its not about hair colour, eye colour, stature etc. It's just about a similarity in facial structure.

The similarity in personality or morals is incidental. I will get some more pictures demonstrating this in more detail. I first saw it in a programme the other night. Its actually a video clip, I'll see if I can get it on youtube.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My guy couldn't possibly look less like my dad. They both have blue eyes though, that's about it.

Do you not get on with your dad?

And for the homosexuals, the pattern is not there. It only applies to heterosexual couplings as stated in the first article (although not very clearly)

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have only ever been in interracial LTRs so...not true for me.

Personality-wise, however, I have been told that I bear strong resemblance to either the older brothers or the father, while girls I have dated have all been professionally aggressive as well as highly educated - like my mother. Hmmm

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did not, as dad is no longer with us, but no, not a good relationship and no I never chose men like my dad with the exception of guys generally over 6'2" like my dad but I don't think I got my height preference from him. I'm just tall myself so usually dated tall guys. I would not be attracted to a man who looked anything like my dad.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Did not, as dad is no longer with us, but no, not a good relationship and no I never chose men like my dad with the exception of guys generally over 6'2" like my dad but I don't think I got my height preference from him. I'm just tall myself so usually dated tall guys. I would not be attracted to a man who looked anything like my dad.

I smell pseudo-science...

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, sounds like pseudoscience, but it's still fun anyway. I don't believe in telling the future, but that doesn't mean I get no pleasure at all from opening a fortune cookie. :wink:

My dad looked like Robert Redford when I was growing up, but not any longer. As they've both aged, they've aged differently. When I saw The Natural as a child, I couldn't get over how much Robert Redford looked like my dad! I included a few photos of from then when they looked like one another.

TheBF looks like RPatz in certain photos, from certain angles. RPaz's nose is much shorter and his hair is usually waaay crazier than TheBF's, and RPatz's eyebrows are bushier, but in just a few photos, when they're making similar facial expressions, their faces look very similar. I've included three. The first photo especially reminds me of TheBF, but I think it's because of the mischievous and amused expression.

I don't see a similarity in features between the photos. Does anyone else?

Attachments

Last edited:

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The choice of sexual partners is not the same as choice of spouse. It could be said that our peers choose who we date, but that our immediate family choose who we will marry. There is a very subtle psychology at work here. Up until a century ago most marriages were arranged, the idea of romance was accepted but had to fall in with norms and conventions. Perhaps the problem with modern marriage is that husbands are still acting like their Victorian great great great grandfathers, and their wives like present day celebrity magazine bimbos.

dad4you

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Although that is an interesting view of people and a parent look a like, I don't buy into it. My Mom is a short cuddly redhead while my wife is a tall blonde athletic model type. The similarities that I find in common are that we are all from the same genetic pool so there's no surprise that someone you're interested in or are dating has a jaw line, eyes etc. that could resemble a family member once or twice removed. But what about gay men, they're obviously not going to look for a man who resembles Mom, besides unconsciously looking for 'the parents' is a little too incestuous for me. Maybe we look for the best traits our patents have in another person rather than the resemblance in looks.

Interestingly, I DO look at men who kind of have the same build like my dad, but not ACT like him. He was very damaged in WWII and never was much of a Dad to me. I would like to find a man that I could have the warm experiences with that I hear that other men had with their Dads. I never could see how I came from the same loins as my brother as we look more like cousins than brothers. The only real similarity is that all 3 men in my family are uncut. I like cut :) BIG, juicy, well trimmed.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, I do. Similar chins depending on the angle and their eyes are kinda the same width apart. Nose width is also similar, but it's hard to tell without face-on pictures of both.

Really? Maybe I'm just too close to see the similarities.