Dalai lama to 'retire'

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, May 13, 2007.

1. dong20

Gold Member

I was sad when he abandoned the Tibetan claim for independence. It's still an offence, punishable by up to 15 years in prison to display the Tibetan National Flag in Tibet.

Well, this is not much - but to those in that 'club' the Chinese laughably call their Government, if you're reading this - here it is. I hope it chokes you:

[​IMG]

I have one at home as a reminder of the time I spent there in the early '90s.

The 'retirement' is of course a political one, not a spiritual one, that's not possible, may that continue for many years to come.

INDFEM likes this.
  2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually it's not sad at all that he 'abandoned' the tibetan flag...one of the main tenets of Tibetan buddhism is non-confrontationalism and not clinging onto earthly identities since they are all transitory in nature and obscure the "search" for the big picture.....The Dalai lam is a religious figure, totally revered in tibet , nepal , and worldwide, and has always been a reluctant politicL FIGURE... If asked, he will say "I'm a simple monk"

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I've always wanted to go to Tibet.
    Of course, 'Tibet' isn't there any more.
    What the Chinese have done is a disgrace.

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    GO TO Kathmandu instead.......it'll give you a taste of what Tibet used to be like....also Kathmandu happens to be my favorite city in the world...anyone have questions, PM me

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Speaking as a Christian, I've always admired the Dalai Lama for his devotion and humanity.

6. dong20

Gold Member

Tell that to the 1.2 million tibetans killed by the Chinese, many simply for being non-confrontationally.....Tibetan. What's especially unpleasant in all this is that Tibet was left to rot by the West, after all what's there but a few yaks and who wanted to take on China for a few Monks living in a feudal system right?

As for not being sad, tell me, when a nation is forced to forego it's very existence at the whim of a ruthless oppressor with no regard for anything but its own polital and militaristic agenda while the world stands on the sidelines, how exactly is that not sad?

BTW he hasn't abandoned the flag, but the claim for the re-instatement of the Tibetan nation, not the same thing. Imagine facing 15 years in prison for flying say, the Confederate Flag.

7. dong20

Gold Member

If you can't get to Tibet go to Ladakh. It's amazing in it's own right and said by some to be more Tibetan than Tibet, though I'm not quite sure that's true. It also has the distinction, so I was told of having the highest football stadium in the world. I don't know if that's accurate but it's certainly high! Easiest in Late summer or early spring when the roads are open.

Last time I went in winter so had to fly in from Delhi and out to Srinagar...the airport runway (which slopes seriously uphill and, combined with the altitude makes for extended take off runs) is accessed through a 'gap' blown out of the mountain ridge which crosses the flight path, you can see it as you circle in to land, of course by then it's too late to get off!!

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

Yes, I understand that Ladakh is a wonderful place... and today, as you say, more like Tibet than Tibet.
    I wonder, dong, if you happened to ever read the book, A Journey in Ladakh by Andrew Harvey. Beautifully written book. It whet my appetite for Ladakh ... although it remains one of those hungers that gnaw without satiation ever really being potentially on the table.
    Maybe I'll win a lottery.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Tenzin Gyatso, HH The Dalai Lama, is quite the inspirational personality. I recently finished reading "The Art of Happiness" and gained much from it.

10. D_Gunther Snotpole

It is terribly sad, but what could we have done?
    Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see many options.
    Tibet is China's underbelly.

11. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Wait, so the US wont go and invade on their behalf? I mean, China only has a bigger army (and male population) bigger than...far too many other countries....

*refuses to make any yellow belly jokes*

Mind you, I always thought of Tibet as a "special place away from it all". Politics and the need and greed for land spoil so many places as such. The US need a Dalai Lama methinks.

12. dong20

Gold Member

In reality, little I agree but we (I say we, I wasn't even born) perhaps could have made more than a token protest. I mean Britain occupied Lhasa at the turn of the Century and had invaded twice before. We 'conned' the Tibetans into declaring independence on the promise of support then hung them out to dry.

In 1942 Britain supported the Tibetans in overt Independence activities which upset China which forced them to back down. In 1949 the US suggested it was ready to recognise Tibetan independence. When the Chinese invaded in 1950 Tibet's appeal for help it fell on deaf ears. Never mind the US, so far as Britain was concerned I'd say we owed them rather more than the cold shoulder. Still that's politics for ya.

13. dong20

Gold Member

Well 50 years ago they didn't, I don't see that changing now.

Well, it's certainly a special place, but no longer far from away from it all. The US would eat a Dalia Lama for breakfast.

14. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    I visited Tibet when I was very little. Something major was going on politically just as we arrived. There was a lot of violence. Right before we left, I saw an explosion over the tree line. Very tense place, and I can't imagine the Chinese dominance has done anything to help that.

15. dong20

Gold Member

Not that I noticed, though the repression is more entrenched through time as Tibetan culture is diluted.

16. INDFEM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Love Tibet !! China may invade and conquer peace loving Tibet, but Tibetan culture will never die.

daredevil6611 and ladygaga1977 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted