Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously, I'm going crazy. I've got about 5 or 6 fresh bites tonight and they're excruciating. I've only been living in the tropics for 6 months so I don't think I have the right antibodies yet, so I'm getting horrible reactions to every little fucker that samples my blood.

What do you do or use to calm down the sting? How do I stop myself from gouging holes in my arms and legs?

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Seriously, I'm going crazy. I've got about 5 or 6 fresh bites tonight and they're excruciating. I've only been living in the tropics for 6 months so I don't think I have the right antibodies yet, so I'm getting horrible reactions to every little fucker that samples my blood.

I've always suspected that mozzies from different areas (and even different temporal batches) have different chemical make ups happening. I tend to react very badly at the beginning of summer or if I go to a new area, but don't respond as strongly once my body gets to know the local bugs.

And I think I may have a minor intolerance or allergy to mozzies. When I react badly, I react REALLY badly - almost palm sized swellings, occasionally fever.

What do you do or use to calm down the sting? How do I stop myself from gouging holes in my arms and legs?

I find this stuff to be pretty effective.

Spit works, if only for a few seconds (sounds gross, but worth it when you're desperate).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I cook with garlic which seems to repel mosquitos and if it's really heavy mosquito season someone told me to put a Bounce Dryer Sheet in my pocket and bag when I'm out and about and it does seem to act as a repellent.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with subgirrl. The first bites of the season are always the worst. There are lots of after-bite ointments you can use, and oral anithistamines can help to calm the reaction too. I got stung on the wrist by a drowsy hibernating wasp (one of those big queen wasps, or maybe a hornet - not sure if I can tell them apart) yesterday when I was servicing by boat in preparation for winter lay-up. Fuck that hurt. It kept waking me up in the night and today there's a red swelling 2" in diameter. It got MrsR and I talking about stings/bites because it's usually her with the mosquito bites - they don't like me so much. So I feel for you man. Just don't scratch 'em. How you stop yourself scratching at night is anyone's guess.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can you get this, or something like it, in Oz?

Amazon.com: Cortizone-10 Plus Maximum Strength Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch Creme Plus Moisturizers, 2-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

Works a charm for me on those strange Carolina insects that like to snack on me when I'm there.
I'm not certain but a lot of cortisone products are controlled here - definitely pharmacy-only lines, but it's often only available via prescription. That may depend on strength.

I've always suspected that mozzies from different areas (and even different temporal batches) have different chemical make ups happening. I tend to react very badly at the beginning of summer or if I go to a new area, but don't respond as strongly once my body gets to know the local bugs.

And I think I may have a minor intolerance or allergy to mozzies. When I react badly, I react REALLY badly - almost palm sized swellings, occasionally fever.

I find this stuff to be pretty effective.

Spit works, if only for a few seconds (sounds gross, but worth it when you're desperate).
I totally agree on acclimatisation to local bugs. It's been a slow process but the histamine reactions are slowly getting better. I have been known to lick a bite in desperation! Even a smear of Lucas' paw paw ointment works in a bind. I'll check out Soov.

I cook with garlic which seems to repel mosquitos and if it's really heavy mosquito season someone told me to put a Bounce Dryer Sheet in my pocket and bag when I'm out and about and it does seem to act as a repellent.
I'm not sure if dryer sheets really exist here, to be honest! But I've heard that garlic works as a deterrant, as well as beer and Vegemite - mainly yeast & vitamin Bs.

Hydrocortizone cream (as ManlyBanisters suggested) works well for me, but when Fuzzy needs to stop a fit of scratching after prowling in the jungle, Fuzzy uses this: Bactine - Pain Relieving Cleansing Spray . The lidocaine works instantly.
Anaesthetic would work! I'll have to go investigate.

The worst assaults I've had in the past I've had to treat with ice packs, but dripping at work is generally frowned upon...

Thanks all!

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mum always used calamine lotion on us when we were little. My sister and I looked afflicted with all of those big pink dots across our neck and arms.

Florida is a mosquito battleground to be sure. But the wise homebuilders down here literally screen in part of the backyard, particularly the swimming pool area. We have a huge screened lanai that encloses the pool, spa and a generous portion of the yard. We still have a lot of unenclosed area but we let the wildlife have free reign with it. The screened area is connected to the house so we can keep the doors and windows open without letting critters in.

And I don't think I own a bottle of calamine lotion now.