Dan Savage's It Gets Better Project

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by petite, Sep 24, 2010.

1. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Dan Savage's has started a new project in response to Billy Lucas' suicide.

From Give 'em Hope

About the project: Dan Savage launches It Gets Better Project to reach out to LGBT teens - National Sex education | Examiner.com

He's launched a YouTube channel devoted to the It Gets Better videos.

What do you think? Do you think it will help?

2. Opalite

Gold Member

I came across this yesterday, and I personally think it't the cutest thing ever.

3. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think 'cute' is the adjective I'd use. I would rather describe it as heartfelt, awesome, and imperative.

One of my nieces 'came out' at 15 and her mother threw her out. Luckily she was able to live with her grandparents instead. And one of my authors has a lesbian daughter who got suicidal only a couple years ago, in the deep south, in high school, due to hazing. She is fortunate to have a supportive family though.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    No one who didn't grow up gay in the US can know how horribly lonely and isolating it can be. If this project saves lives, then it's a good thing.

As I mentioned in one of Petite's other threads, "It gets better" was something I heard nearly-constantly from about the age of 12 til 15: the dreaded Junior High years. I even had a guidance counselor in 8th grade tell me that I probably wouldn't have any friends until I got to college :eek: (and being gay didn't come up, at least not directly).

When I was 15, I got a call from a girl a year older than me who looked enough like me to be my older sister (and we had very similar last names); she was calling just to check in and let me know what a blast she'd been having that summer. Rather glumly, I told her to stop discussing any good times unless she planned on inviting me to the next one. She stopped short for a second, giggled and agreed. So began my adventures in socializing.

The town I grew up in had four Junior Highs and two High Schools in the 1970s, with the districts deciding who went where being pretty gerrymandered. So though we met in Junior High, she went to a different High School than I would that fall, and everyone I met through her went there as well. This became a factor later, as you'll read.

Through this girl, I quickly became very tight with a completely different group of kids from the ones who knew me from school, so they had no preconceived notions about me being a nerd or a fag: I was just a friendly, bright guy with lots to say. I eventually moved on from some of the rougher and more trouble-making ones to the more cerebral ones, and within six months had met another gay kid, who looked like Oscar Wilde and spoke like Noel Coward :cool: He became my best friend very quickly :wink:

Between the two of us, we formed a nucleus of support and friendship (and, more prosaically, great drugs) that eventually grew into about 20 kids, both male and female. We were all misfits, cast-aways and pariahs except with each other. All of the girls were at least bisexual, as were most of the boys: there were a couple of straight guys and a few exclusively gay ones. As the net was cast pretty wide, our clique came from several towns all over Boston's South Shore. Within our own schools, we were the objects of scorn and ridicule, but in the safety of our group, we could be as outrageous as we wanted to be, and were. It helped that nearly all of us were extremely bright.

I credit our clique for saving my life, just as I'm sure we saved some others, too. And I credit its formation to a single phone call in 1975, when my party-girl friend decided to check in on her "lil brother".

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
  6. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. HaroldZoid

HaroldZoid New Member

8. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Dan's project has absolutely exploded. He's gone all viral. He's on the Daily Beast. He's on NBC. He's everywhere. Bless him.

9. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is the first I hear of this project. My wife and I love reading Savage Love, but haven't in a while.

At any rate, petite, I just wanted to say thanks for posting about that project. My wife teaches art (K through 12) at a school in a rural community close by. Some of the kids have opened up to her and when I told her about this project, she immediately asked for the links you provided so she could forward it to the school's guidance counselor. and hopefully up the school's food chain.

This thread may have made a difference for that school. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thank you.

10. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I'm so glad that his project is getting a lot more attention. Bullying has become out of control here and something has to be done about it.

RawDog, I hope that your wife's school is able to use the It Gets Better Project to help the students. Too often it seems like our schools are impotent to do anything because of laws and policies that prevent intervention on issues like this. Those policies need to change.

Dan Savage posted this letter from a mother thanking him and a new video:

It Gets Better: You're Reaching Them | Slog | The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

11. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh it ant all.... Now Andrew Shirvell the Michigan State Assistant Attorney General is in the act too.

And Mike Cox just sits there all dumb and happy.
    Paid for harrassment by Mike Cox.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    That's ridiculous. I found this article on the story. Some of the people in the comments propose some interesting theories regarding his motivations for stalking this young man. I tried to read Andrew Shirvell's blog but I couldn't because he's made it private now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/andrew-shirvell-assistant_n_743953.html

And I thought our country was becoming more open-minded.

Is it just me or has Anderson Cooper gotten hotter?

#12 petite, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  13. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ellen De Generes spoke out about the project. I viewed it via Facebook, will see if I can find it again to link. Found it!

Welcome to Facebook

14. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks!!
    Additional thanks to Dan Savage and getting the "It Gets Better Project" into public awareness.

15. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:

Yes. Anderson has gotten hotter :)

It is ridiculous. I can't believe our govenor hasn't stepped in and taken necessary actions, but she won't.
    Mike Cox has been removing comments from his Facebook page of all the pissed off people slamming him for not taking swift action against this clown.

He's now on a leave of absense... but I'm sure still on the payroll.
    I don't expect Cox to do much. He's a conservative republican, so he hates anyone that doesn't fit the Rich White Caucasion role.

16. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge

As endlessly fascinating as I find you, I still don't understand why you'd feel the need to do that.

17. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I've been watching all of these tragedies unfold along with everyone else, and I would love to help these kids by supporting them somehow. I'd really enjoy taking a kid out to pizza once every week or two just to listen and let him now that it does get better and to give him the opportunity to release some stress. But just as Savage says, I can't. Anyone that sees me out with a gay 14 year old kid is immediately going to assume I'm a Chris Hanson pedo out for sex. I work best with one-on-one dialog. My style is not to make a video. It's frustrating to want to help but to be so limited in the ways I can help because of societal firewalls. I'd be happy to mentor a guy who is going through the same issues I did as a kid. Knowing that is practically forbidden, I'll try to keep an open mind on how I can help. These suicides are fucking pointless results of needless isolation. Grrr.

Draft saved Draft deleted