Dancing

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
First off, I'm not really sure if this post should go here. If not, mods, move it.

So, a few weekends ago I went to a club to be with a girl I was interested in. Now, this is a bold move for me who never goes to clubs because I know I cannot dance.

Long story short, I am pretty sure I made an ass of myself and I ended up leaving early because I felt so out of place.

In any case... how the heck do you learn to dance? Or, are some people just born with moves and others are not?

I'm probably not the most coordinated person out there, but I'm surely not the most clumsy. In fact some very clumsy people I know are very good dancers.

jimmy_n13

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd say the majority of people aren't good dancers mate. But the difference is that a lot of bad dancers have confidence which hides the fact a bit. Basically if you are confident and having fun it won't matter so much what your dancing's like (unless it's some really crazy moves you're trying to do haha)

In my case i usually find that a bit of alcohol always helps to lose the inhibitions- which you seem to have, and then you can just have fun. When in doubt make fun of your own dancing. Works for me and the girls seem to respond.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wasn't born with natural moves, either.

Alcohol helps a bit if it reduces anxiety and the awkward sensation. It's not called "liquid courage" for nuthin'... lol. Blending into the crowd also helps. Watch others move and try to mimic them with your own individual adaptation. Try to make yourself "feel" less self-conscious and it'll become second nature.

Good luck and don't give up.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I was a horrible dancer till I took ecstasy and learned to be in tune with the beat of music, now I dance somewhat normally.

I don't recommend doing E though, try alcohol and relaxing.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, I've tried the whole alcohol thing and I guess my self-consciousness still is there enough... tried the blending in too...

The night in question I only had one drink and that didn't do anything for me. I think part of my problem was because I wasn't really invited to her "group." So that made me feel like an extra nuisance... and I probably was viewed that way - an intruder. However, I think that if I was a good dancer, then they wouldn't have minded me being there. So, I just want to know how to dance so in the future I can work my way in there and not feel like I am making a scene.

If I was ever to go take some classes pieter, where? I'm embarrassed to go. LOL.

I guess I just need to be more confident. I have faith in myself... until I meet someone who thinks inversely (whether they say it or just imply it or I just get that feeling). Horrible, I know. Hell, maybe I am not a bad dancer in general. It's just that when I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I fall right into being a bad dancer.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You should just watch how other people dance and try to copy them... you don't really need many moves... just a few good ones along with a few really simple ones. If you just stand in one place and move your body to the beat, that is pretty much all you really have to do. Also, dance in a crowded club... if the club is not crowded, find one that is.

As a caucasian... you need to work on your hip independence, which doesn't come easily to most white guys... it takes a lot of practice. Check this out for how to move your hips.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I was a horrible dancer till I took ecstasy and learned to be in tune with the beat of music, now I dance somewhat normally.

I don't recommend doing E though, try alcohol and relaxing.

At least you thought you were dancing until somebody stepped on your hand.

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
In any case... how the heck do you learn to dance? If your family and peers did not expose you to dance moment and dance music, you have to find other ways to get exposed... classes, girl friends, imitation. It doesn't take much, especially since many clubs are so packed that you can't do much even if you could.

Or, are some people just born with moves and others are not?

You learn to dance from exposure... usually family, peers and friends. It's a natural progression in many cultures to develop a personal expression around music. And it is considered a necessary part of the dating and mating routine.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No seriously! Look into a class.... It's one night a week and everyone there just wants to look cool on the dance floor and you might make some friends. It's really fun!!
I should go, I know. However, half the problem is my work schedule... I work night shift and night classes are kind of out the window. :frown1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found this when looking up some info for another thread. It may help you. It hooks up to your tv so you can see yourself dancing! :smile: There is a freestyle mode and you can connect it to an MP3 player so you can move to popular tunes rather than nursery rhymes.