Darren O'Kelly's 'Gar Bar' vid

Dag:
gaybar.jpg

View Darren O'Kelly's "Gay Bar Video"

Enjoy - Dag :D

www.beam.tv

throb919: Well, that looks like a fun bunch of Republicans! (Wonder if they show this video at Log Cabin Republican Club meetings, Dag? Or--wonder if that is a Log Cabin Republican Club meeting...?)

An aside to my straight-but-not-narrow brothers: Yes--oxymoron that it seems, there are gay Republicans. The best line on that ever was Congressman Barney Frank's: "At least they picked an appropriate role model--Uncle Tom."

7x6andchg: Well of course there are gay Republicans. There are gay and lesbian members of every political party....

That said...this would be a nicer place, I think, for all of us, gay and straight, if the Republicans currently holding court in Washington realized that and just let people marry whomever they wanted, at least in the legal sense. (The church, she is another matter entirely)

7x6&C

throb919: ...and this gay man just may kiss you full on the mouth, Paul! (No tongue, I promise.) Keep that "mind wide open"!

I was just trying to be funny about gay Republicans. I'm quite involved with Human Rights Campaign, the country's largest advocacy group for gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender issues and HRC is entirely bi-partisan. I'll stop short of saying "Some of my best friends are gay Republi..." I personally find a conflict there, but hey--many people find "gay" and "Christian" incompatible. (I've argued that one 3 times this week--and it's only Wednesday!) Someone else said that "gay Republican" makes about as much sense as "black Klansman" or "Jewish Nazi"...but I didn't so I won't go there. Quite...)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, Case's Corollary to Godwin's Law says "If the thread is about Heinlein or homosexuality, the Nazi comparison will occur within three days."

7x6andchg: I think by and large the problem isn't the parties themselves...I am, by and large, a Democrat.  Primarily, this is because I agree with many of the tenets of that party...it doesn't mean I'd "die" for the party, nor would I do something I consider personally unethical for the good of said party.

Our problem, in my most humble opinion, is that in order to differentiate themselves from the "pack" many politicans fear they need to drift further and further from the center...thereby eliminating the shreds of common sense that USED to come from Washington as recently as the Truman Administration.

That said, the church, and in my own theological experience, Holy Mother Church (Catholic for those of you who aren't theology majors or who haven't read any of the Father Koesler books by William Kienzle   ;D ) is a different thing entirely.  

I do not believe that they have it right either...didn't (and I'm sure somewhere lurking out there IS a theology major who is going to jump down my throat for my ugly paraphrasing here) Jesus says that the two most important of the 10 commandments are (1) Yo!  There's Only One God and (2) Love thy brother as you love thyself?  While I doubt he used the vernacular "Yo" - you get my drift.  Those who pretend to know the wisdom of God, even those considered the most scholarly in the field, can not know everything.  To claim that one does denies the very existence of a higher power.  

So for now, I say - follow the golden rule and we'll all be fine...and this post is rambling, so I'll shut 'er down now.

(The preceding is an OPINION.  Feel free to disagree in point and even 'argue', but please avoid the ad hominem attacks - or "flames" as they are known in the vernacular.  ;)  For that reason I have avoided laying blame and naming names in this post.   ;D )

7x6&C

PS Vernacular was on my word-of-the-day the other day - can you tell?

PPS @ throb - No tongue! :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#4 date=07/16/03 at 17:39:19]Well, Case's Corollary to Godwin's Law says "If the thread is about Heinlein or homosexuality, the Nazi comparison will occur within three days."[/quote]

Godwin's Law ... is that the one that says you can link everyone to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less? :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#5 date=07/16/03 at 17:50:55]
I'm sure somewhere lurking out there IS a theology major who is going to jump down my throat for my ugly paraphrasing here)
[/quote]

Yo! Why criticize your use of the vernacular? Jesus certainly didn't use the words as written in the KJV. We know he didn't speak English! :D He spoke Aramaic, the vernacular of his time. He didn't go around spouting antiquated Hebrew, yet people still quote from the King James Version that uses terms that were rather archaic even during James I's reign. To translate Jesus's vernacular into our vernacular doesn't strike me as being irreverent. (That said, I don't think the 'official' Ebonic translation of the Bible in 1997 was particularly necessary!)

7x6andchg: DMW - Excellent point. I simply must replace my Ebonics 1997 translation... :D

Your point is well taken - I'm glad it doesn't seem irreverent...I was merely trying to paraphrase and condense the teaching.

7x6&C

throb919: Right, DMW...and Heinlein is that beer from the Netherlands in the green bottle, right...? I think Kevin Bacon drinks it.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Six degrees of separation between O'Kelly and Kevin Bacon? Which one is the white guy in the middle?

Damn, Kevin, you sure do get around, boy!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#6 date=07/16/03 at 19:02:54]Godwin's Law ... is that the one that says you can link everyone to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less? :D[/quote]
"As a usenet discussion increases in length, the probability of a comparison involving either Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

throb919: Jonb--So does that mean (given where we are) we'll eventually be talking about Adolf's schwanz? Would rather stick with Kevin's bacon...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
You know he only had one ball, right?

I mentioned it because someone compared gay Republicans to Jewish Nazis.

7x6andchg: Sing along to this old WWII "parody":

"Hitler, he only had one ball
Goerring had two, but they were very small
Himmler, had something similar
but Mussolini had no balls at all"

7x6&C

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#14 date=07/18/03 at 16:14:04]
but Mussolini had no balls at all"

7x6&C[/quote]

I always heard this line as:

Poor old Goebbels had no balls at all.

Keeps it within the Reich.

7x6andchg: DMW -

You might be right.  The little ditty is actually in "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles, which is where I heard it.  Haven't read that book since 9th grade...I will have to find it in my collection and re-read it.  Not only to confirm the lyric, but because it is a very good book, IMHO.

Although being 1/2 Italian you can't blame me for wanting to get Mussolini in.... :D

7x6&C

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=7by6etC link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#16 date=07/19/03 at 03:54:37]I will have to find it in my collection and re-read it.  Not only to confirm the lyric, but because it is a very good book, IMHO.[/quote]

I don't remember that song in A Separate Peace ... not saying it's not in there, I just don't remember it. The versionI remember was sung by Bette Midler in her concert, A Divine Mess. I agree that A Separate Peace was a great book. Like gay teens, it struck me as a gay love story. I know that wasn't the intent of John Knowles, but that's how I saw the two guys' attachment.

Although being 1/2 Italian you can't blame me for wanting to get Mussolini in....   :D

I would think that with you being 1/2 Italian, you'd want to avoid the mention of Mussolini at all! I'm Cuban, and I sure don't generally bring up Castro, even to bash him!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1058378425;start=0#11 date=07/17/03 at 15:51:33]
"As a usenet discussion increases in length, the probability of a comparison involving either Nazis or Hitler approaches one."[/quote]

Okay, here goes: Hitler and the Nazis figured prominently in Hogan's Heroes, naturally. Richard Dawson played Newkirk in Hogan's Heroes. Later, Richard Dawson went on to host Family Feud, with one week being Celebrity Family Feud. John Lithgow was a contestant on Celebrity Family Feud. Lithgow also appeared in Footloose, which starred Kevin Bacon!

awellhungboi: Ha! That's brilliant, Whopper. How about this: (in seven, not six degrees, alas)

Hitler was in Triumph of the Will directed by Leni Riefenstahl; Leni Riefenstahl was in The Wonderful, Terrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl with Marlene Dietrich; Marlene Dietrich was in Paris When it Sizzles with Audrey Hepburn; Audrey Hepburn was in Always with Holly Hunter; Holly Hunter was in Raising Arizona with Nicholas Cage; Nicholas Cage was in Leaving Las Vegas with Elizabeth Shue; Elizabeth Shue was in Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon.

I'm sure someone could do it in fewer. (Thanks to IMDB, btw.)