Dating & Marriage, How is it Possible When Depressed?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mental health is really more than mind over matter. Especially when you consider that your "mind" is a machine powered by electronic impulses and a delicate chemical balance.

I am living proof that the correct combination of exercise, counseling and medication can have huge impact on a person's depression.

Snoozan and SpeedoMike-- thank you for your openness and information.

Tripod--I know you to be better than than how you are presenting in this thread. I want you to really consider what some real people with real struggle are trying to help you understand by sharing their experiences.

NJQT-- your hubby's reaction to your being on meds was a symptom of his own ignorance and lack of understanding. Nothing more. I was happily married for 10 years and dysthymic for most of it and depressed for some of it. I had a loving wife who supported me, believed in me, and challenged me to find help for myself. There are people out there who understand.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex,

Since I have been diagnosed with Dysthymia I always was led to believe that it is low grade to moderate chronic depression. Could you be saying that you may have also suffered from what is known as double depression when you say you were depressed?

Medications related to the brain are tricky at best and they do not mix well with everyone's chemistry. I am sure those that have to deal with family and friends who suffer from mental illness of one form or another have been frustrated from time to time but meds dont always work. I know I have experienced allergic reactions to at least two perhaps three anti depressants. My doctor told me the only other way to jump start my body's production of seratonin would be to exercise seven days a week. Yes, it is chemical, folks.
In Dr. Oz's book "Your Body on a Diet" it breaks down the types of food your body craves when it is not getting the type of chemical production naturally to govern mood. I was absolutely fascinated.

In terms of relationships. If someone wants an excuse to leave they will take it. No one should feel held hostage because of fear that the person they are with may not accept them warts and all. I do hope one day that Mental illness will be seen in the same light as any other chronic disorder. WIth therapy and medication in most cases progress can be made. But the biggest therapy is love and understanding.