Dating: Men's Names

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A guy asked me out recently, wanted to take me out in NYC next week...but there was a problem that was seriously putting me off. His name was the same as my brothers.

I have a rule, kind of unspoken that I can't, simply can't, date a guy who has the same name as my brother or father too even and uncles I'm close to. It's just bizarre.

Sorry to all the Christopher's out there...I guess.

Is anyone else like this?

Another question...are there any names that really put you off? Or are a dealbreaker not concerning a relative? Not for me, but there certainly are names in general that put me off (aren't dealbreakers though). Probably because I have a negative association with them from another guy named that. But do you think there are more or less "attractive" and "unattractive" names?

Last edited:

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
I don't mind dating someone who has the same name as my dad or my son...though it is highly unlikely i would ever meet anyone with my sons name.

There are a few names that i cannot bear so only IF the guy was extremely hot hot hot then i'd date him but call him by a shortened version of his name or a nickname

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't mind dating someone who has the same name as my dad or my son...though it is highly unlikely i would ever meet anyone with my sons name.

There are a few names that i cannot bear so only IF the guy was extremely hot hot hot then i'd date him but call him by a shortened version of his name or a nickname

Similarly blessed with an extremely rare name. If anything, the novelty of my name alone has probably gotten two or three more girls to want to go out with me than I otherwise deserved

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
Similarly blessed with an extremely rare name. If anything, the novelty of my name alone has probably gotten two or three more girls to want to go out with me than I otherwise deserved

My son hates his name but i think it suits him perfectly and alot of girls think its 'cute' to have an unusual name....he then agrees it is 'cool' ....teenagers!!

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously I will NOT ever date anyone that has the same name as someone else I have dated. It just creeps me out!

That's a shame :frown1:

I'm not that picky although as it happens I have never dated anyone with a name which matches anyone in my family. Maybe I subconsciously avoid them? :tongue:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't imagine dating any woman who had a surname for a first name, like "Lindsay," "Kelly," "Ashley," or anything beginning with "Mc" or "Mac"—'MacKenzie," "McKinley," etc. I would feel like a complete phony if I played along and said her name as if I had no problem with it (and I don't think I can date her if I say to her, "You know, your name strikes me as really pretentious and stupid").

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Same here. My name is not only rare, but men seem to find it incredibly sexy. (According to a website, only three adults in the country have my name right now.)

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have a very rare name too. But imagine how much this philosophy would suck for those who are named Mary (if you are catholic) and John. Now we are going to have this epidemic with those named Aiden, Jaden, Peyton, Emma, McKenzie, Taylor, William and Madison.

D

deleted405852

A guy asked me out recently, wanted to take me out in NYC next week...but there was a problem that was seriously putting me off. His name was the same as my brothers.

I have a rule, kind of unspoken that I can't, simply can't, date a guy who has the same name as my brother or father too even and uncles I'm close to. It's just bizarre.

Sorry to all the Christopher's out there...I guess.

Is anyone else like this?

Another question...are there any names that really put you off? Or are a dealbreaker not concerning a relative? Not for me, but there certainly are names in general that put me off (aren't dealbreakers though). Probably because I have a negative association with them from another guy named that. But do you think there are more or less "attractive" and "unattractive" names?

Let me guess, your unspoken rule extends to great guys that share the same name as your ex, your old school crushes, your friends ex....tell me when to stop. He could have been a great guy, so a title which he had little to no choice in choosing shouldn't have been the disqualifying factor in his chances of getting to love you.

In regards to your other question, if I can't pronounce your name, we might have a problem dating dear. The last thing anyone wants is for their partner to struggle or sound like they're stuttering when they say your name in bed or normal conversation lol. My answer is actually serious even though I threw in a joke. My first name is very common among men, and my last name is Quamie, and almost everyone calls me by my last name, especially the ladies, so I guess people can get over difficult names if they like a person enough. Most people don't even know my first name upon meeting me unless I introduce myself. I know plenty of amazing young women with interesting names like Bonafsha, Yachna, Ashlynn, Kagomi, etc. So really the difficult name criteria that I joked about stems from their cultural background in most cases, so it would be unfair of me to not give them a chance because of their names which I've grown to love because of whom their attached to.

And for the record I'm not judging you, that is not my place, but I'm just saying that a line has to be drawn, then erased because that unspoken rule is not fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A name, seriously?

I'm not fond of the name Eugene but I'm pretty sure calling him Gene would take care of that. Keep your brother as Christopher and call your guy Chris. Is this really so difficult?

Explain it feels odd to you and ask if you can use their middle name.

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No one said the rules in life had to be fair.
Probably does suck to be on the wrong side of those rules, but we all are for at least some people at some point.

Let me guess, your unspoken rule extends to great guys that share the same name as your ex, your old school crushes, your friends ex....tell me when to stop. He could have been a great guy, so a title which he had little to no choice in choosing shouldn't have been the disqualifying factor in his chances of getting to love you.

In regards to your other question, if I can't pronounce your name, we might have a problem dating dear. The last thing anyone wants is for their partner to struggle or sound like they're stuttering when they say your name in bed or normal conversation lol. My answer is actually serious even though I threw in a joke.

And for the record I'm not judging you, that is not my place, but I'm just saying that a line has to be drawn, then erased because that unspoken rule is not fair. My first name is very common among men, and my last name is Quamie, and almost everyone calls me by my last name, especially the ladies, so I guess people can get over difficult names if they like a person enough.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm not that petty. It's not a dealbreaker, just unsettling until I get to know them. I end up thinking of them like a brother. Or they don't work out for reasons unrelated to their name.

Of course if it was a "great guy" as you put it, I wouldn't callously reject them based on that. I haven't run into that situation though where it's been a great guy.

Last edited:

the_new_godiva

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Same here. My name is not only rare, but men seem to find it incredibly sexy. (According to a website, only three adults in the country have my name right now.)

Fuck that, I find it incredibly sexy!

I have a very rare name too. But imagine how much this philosophy would suck for those who are named Mary (if you are catholic) and John. Now we are going to have this epidemic with those named Aiden, Jaden, Peyton, Emma, McKenzie, Taylor, William and Madison.

*eye twitches*

I really hold back when I hear a mother calling to her children: "Aiden! Jaden! Please come back here." It just speaks volumes about her. I also love how every Catholic up until a certain generation had to add "Mary" or "Joseph" to their middle name at confirmation (AKA conformation). I always wondered why my father had an extra middle name, and it was the same as all his childhood friends'.

Back to the OP, I guess it'd sound weird to say your brother's name in the sack so I'll agree with you on this one. You just can't shake the lifelong association of a certain name with a certain close relative.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Keep your brother as Christopher and call your guy Chris. Is this really so difficult?

It's about word association. And I call my brother both Chris and Christopher, it's not as if I see a distinction.