Dating: Men's Names

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just tried to fantasize about sex with my husband, only while I pictured his face and body, I called him my brother's name, and it did indeed totally ruin the fantasy. Interesting experiment. Worse, when I repeated it using my father's extremely common name, (John), my father's face actually came to mind, and I heard my grandmother calling him (Johnny). I may never masturbate again.

Oh yeah! Thank you New Godiva, from one sexy chick to another!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...if I can't pronounce your name, we might have a problem dating dear. The last thing anyone wants is for their partner to struggle or sound like they're stuttering when they say your name in bed or normal conversation lol. My answer is actually serious even though I threw in a joke.
Never once has my husband or anyone in his family properly pronounced my name. It's... okay. He still calls me Bronxy most of the time (because my username used to be BronxBombshell). Sometimes he calls me Honey, or Gander (because I call him Goose). He only says my given name when talking about me to family. With our friends he uses the diminutive of my name, which all of my friends have always used, because they don't say my name properly either. It's two syllables. I really do not see the freaking problem. Anyway, all of my past lovers could pronounce my name well, and my husband has found a way around his trouble: Pet names. So you see, even your objection can be overcome.

But any objection's a fair objection. There are 6 Billion people in the world, so the pickings aren't exactly slim.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Loads of people mispronounce my name too - Hick doesn't. And I don't misspell his, though many do. I really don't understand that lack of attention to detail, not in something as personal as a name.

Anyway - I haven't fucked or dated anyone with the same first name as my dad. I don't think I'd let it bother me though. I have fucked and dated men with the same names as each other and other relatives. I never thought about the relative when I was with the guy, or about the other guy in those cases.

And what's with the OT Catholic bashing? At confirmation one is supposed to choose the name of one's favourite Saint, or a Saint with particular meaning for the family, as one's confirmation name. Certain Saints are more popular in some communities, or have local meaning. There are also multiple Saints of the same name so not every Mary is name after the Virgin Mary. Also, Catholicism is not the only religion that has naming conventions like that. Why not attack Islam while you're at it? :rolleyes:

D_Crystallized Ginger

Sexy Member
Media
A guy asked me out recently, wanted to take me out in NYC next week...but there was a problem that was seriously putting me off. His name was the same as my brothers.

I have a rule, kind of unspoken that I can't, simply can't, date a guy who has the same name as my brother or father too even and uncles I'm close to. It's just bizarre.

Sorry to all the Christopher's out there...I guess.

Is anyone else like this?

Another question...are there any names that really put you off? Or are a dealbreaker not concerning a relative? Not for me, but there certainly are names in general that put me off (aren't dealbreakers though). Probably because I have a negative association with them from another guy named that. But do you think there are more or less "attractive" and "unattractive" names?

the same "rule" seems to apply quite well for me too... never had a girlfriend whose name is tha same of my mother or my sister but it would feel a little strange for me to have one...

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
I have 5 names so if a guy had a problem with my first name then he is welcome to use any of my others.:smile:

All are abit on the unusual side,especially for someone of my age,but it's the name i was given and i seem,apparently,to suit my name.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are some strange views in this thread, I have to say.

I went out with someone who had the same name as my mum for a few months. It quite literally never bothered me once.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My husband's middle name is the same as my father's first name. Don't think I'd care if they had the same first name because I call my father Dad and I call my husband Oh God sometimes.

Embrace69

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I know two separate men with the EXACT same name, First, Middle, and Last.

They don't reside in the same area. One I went to school with as a child, the other I'm dating.

I think it's ironic but I wouldn't be wierded out by it.

My Aunt and I share the same name and her husband and my fiance shared the same name. It was kind of awkward but eh...it is what it is.

Unless his name was something stupid like Man I Handle or something... then I probably wouldn't give two shits as long as I feel safe and loved and comfortable with them and we get along well.

incubus08

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would be surprised to find a girl with my mom's name. I actually like it a lot but it's not too popular these days (Name's Roxanne btw). Anyway I have no problem going out with girls with the same name as an ex, or sibling. Doesn't bother me much.

My name is scottish (even though I'm black) and it's usually used as a surname. I've never met one person with the same name as me.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
I would be surprised to find a girl with my mom's name. I actually like it a lot but it's not too popular these days (Name's Roxanne btw). Anyway I have no problem going out with girls with the same name as an ex, or sibling. Doesn't bother me much.

My name is scottish (even though I'm black) and it's usually used as a surname. I've never met one person with the same name as me.

Come to UK then,i know 3 women with that name,2 are black (age 30 and 26) and one is caucasian,she is aged 19 though she usually calls herself Roxie.