David

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by BigA, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

Anyone know if he's a grower?? :biggrin1: But seriously I'd be interested why Michelangelo chose his penis to be that size. Fairly small I think, when the rest of the body resembles the ideal features of a man.

2. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I have no knowledge of this at all but i think i seen in a doco once it was actually more desired to have a smaller penis back then

Cant remember why though, sorry

3. BigA

BigA New Member

Also, when i first saw a picture of this in school, I'm a "grower" (to about average) but was small compared to other guys I had seen in the locker room. So I felt good that it seemed pretty small to me.

4. fortiesfun

Gold Member

In this particular case, I think the metaphorical purpose of the small penis on David is to imply youth. That, and Michaelangelo's preference for boys probably entered in there also.

5. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

He has ugly hands and feet.

6. BigA

BigA New Member

Or metaphorically small because he had slain Goliath?

7. ArtfulDominant

Albums:
    Think classical studies is all about declensions of Latin nouns? Here's an interesting news story:

The Classical Association meeting at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne yesterday examined our fetishes for stick-insect female bodies, and found them unclassical. Anyone who was seen any Greek art knows that Greek nude male statues tend to be very modestly endowed: there is a preference for discreet, sometimes exaggeratedly small, genitalia. Few of them measure up to the eight-fingered Milesian dildos fondly imagined by AristophanesÂ’ Lysistrata. NI_MPU('middle');
    Emma Stafford, of Leeds University, argued that small penis size was equated with ideals of youth, self-control and citizenship. It was linked with the conventions of the ideal homosexual relationship, in which the younger partner was expected to play an entirely passive part. Uncivilised brutes had large membra. These were incarnated especially in the creature of the Satyr.
    ARA KALLIPYGOS EIMI; - Britain - Times Online

I remember a hilarious passage from an Aristophanes play. A mental image was conjured up for the reader to consider, contrasting two vastly different male physiques. One we were expected to mock .. think scrawny shoulders, beer belly etc .. but at the end of the unflattering portrayal? .. Phallus .. Preposterous!! .... and then the sought after ideal man was described for several stanzas .. shapely calves, wasp waist, heroic chest etc and then .... pecker: discreet
    Wasn't sure if I should renew my gym membership after reading that. :eek:

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Spot on Artful - Greek art of the hellenistic period and after was concerned with ideals and symbolism rather than realism. Though if you have any Greek friends it is fun to tease them about always having had small cocks.

9. chuck216

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not to turn anyone off but a little point of fact:

The model for the Statue of David was a 15 year old assistant of Michaelangelo.

10. xavilqar

xavilqar New Member

Michelangelo, following classical schemes on construction of the body of greek derivation, used the same esthetical research. In the ellenic period to have a big penis was considered ugly or at least funny. The ideal was a small penis like the one of very young people (which were the ideal lovers for most of the artist and phliosopher of the period). I'm generalizing, of course...I don't remember where I heard this explication...On the other hand it can be found some pictures of the ellenic period of opposite research (but they're most common in the latin cultures such as for some picture of Priapo or certain mosaics found in Pompei..)

11. B_IanTheTall

B_IanTheTall New Member

Or that there was too great a risk that a free hanging cock would have broken off, so an attached uncut willie was sculpted instead. I think one of these might have broken off or BEEN broken off (like in the movie, Goonies). Remember that the David already has a third leg (tree trunk) for balance, the brace (sling/cloth) to stabilize the left arm, and attached right hand. David's uncut (religion vs. history vs. culture) willie might not have survived for 500 years had it not been attached.

Attached Files:

12. Big Del

Gold Member

Very interesting thread - I always thought he was pretty small as well!

13. Hunkguy39

Hunkguy39 New Member

Albums:
    "Pan metron ariston"(never too much) is what ancient Greeks used to say , and that goes for sculpures too. Having a statue with a big penis would make the statue lose its harmony of the body.Meanwhile there are two statues of PAtroclos and Ahilleas in "Thermopiles" that are in natural man size and their penises are very very big and thick, but they were made in a different period of time

14. invisibleman

Gold Member

Maybe there was a tongue-in-cheek thing as a type erotic DaVinci code in that with just naming the statue David. With the major religious Biblical references the David and Goliath .

Goliath silently referring to the statue of David's flaccid uncut penis. Maybe it is a giant grower. At least I would like to believe that. Hehehe. It is large in real life being that it is a large statue. Hehehe.

Maybe the real life model back-in-the-day had a really large cock.

15. Equus14

Equus14 New Member

Chances are that the statue of David is not of David from the Bible. David from the Bible was Jewish and therefore would have been circumcised. There has been speculation by many religious apologist that the statue may still be of David from the Bible but simply depicts David uncircumcised because of the culture at the time believed that circumcision was no longer necessary under the supposed saving grace of Jesus. So in a religious sense David became uncircumcised. To my mind that seems rather contrived and over blown when a simpler explanation is far more likely. It's another David, problem solved.

Oh well, to each his own mythology.

16. invisibleman

Gold Member

Hey, my version was way more provocative than yours. So there. :rolleyes:

17. Principessa

Gold Member

As an art history major I can tell you that during this period and for many centuries before, it was considered high flattery to have a Greek male sculpture that was perfectly chiseled anatomically, yet have a penis that was small in comparison to the rest of the artwork.

While at the same time, a brief boat ride away, the Italians had also perfected male sculpture. However they chose to glorify the sexual organs; such as the phallus, womens breasts and hips, (Think Caligula).

It has been debated for years whether Michelangelo had for some reason been influenced by his Greek peers in regards to this sculpture.

18. dreamer20

Gold Member

He did it in the classical Greek style of a youth . The whole body being beautifully proportioned and the smaller penis added to the statue's youthful appearance.

19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Gang, here's another, not unpersuasive account:

How David shrank as he faced Goliath

John Hooper in Rome
    Saturday January 22, 2005
    The Guardian
    One of the most intriguing, if least openly discussed, mysteries in art has been resolved.

Michelangelo's David is meant to be a representation in marble of the perfect male form. So why did his creator not make him - how would one say - a little better endowed?

As every visitor to Florence will know, the modest dimensions of David's "pisello" are a running joke with Italians, and the stuff of irreverent postcards.

But, in a paper to be published at the end of this month, two Florentine doctors offer a scientific explanation: the poor chap was shrivelled by the threat of mortal danger. Michelangelo's intention was to depict David as he confronted Goliath.

What the new study shows is that every anatomical detail - right down to the shaping of the muscles in his forehead - is consistent with the combined effects of fear, tension and aggression.

One of the authors of the paper, Pietro Antonio Bernabei, of the Careggi hospital in Florence, said one such effect would be "a contraction of the reproductive organs".

Last autumn he and his collaborator, Professor Massimo Gulisano, of FlorenceUniversity, conducted a computer-assisted study of the 4.34 metre-high statue, in the Galleria dell'Accademia. They emerged, in Prof Gulisano's words, "stupefied" by Michelangelo's physiological accuracy.

The only mistake is at a point in the centre of David's back that is hollow and ought to be rounded. Michelangelo was aware of the error. But, as he wrote at the time: "Mi manco matera" ("I lacked [enough] material").

Dr Bernabei said allowance had to be made for the conventions of high Renaissance art, which depicted activity in a "much more composed and elegant fashion than today". But, anatomically, everything about Michelangelo's David was consistent with a young man "at the moment immediately preceding the slinging of a stone".

His right leg is tensed while the left one juts forward "like that of a fencer, or even a boxer". Tension is written all over his face. His eyes are wide open. His nostrils are flared. And the muscles between his eyebrows stand out, exactly as they would if they were tightened by concentration and aggression.

"You see the same thing on Japanese opera masks depicting anger," said Dr Bernabei.

David is holding something in his right hand, and it has conventionally been assumed that it is a stone. But Dr Gulisano said their studies suggested otherwise.

"He is holding the handle of the sling. The arrangement of the muscles in his right arm is consistent with someone making, or about to make, a rotary movement, but not with someone about to throw a stone," he said.

Their full findings are to be given in a paper written for the Dutch Institute for Art History in Florence. A summary was published in the latest edition of the Italian journal Il Giornale dell'Arte.

The two experts' examination of one of the world's most famous statues was carried out using a specially constructed scaffold that was wheeled into place when the gallery closed its doors to visitors in the evening and on public holidays. Michelangelo's masterpiece, completed in 1504, was put back on display last May after cleaning which allowed its anatomical details to be studied much more easily than before.

Now we all know why he is rather less substantial in one area than might have been expected, just one great puzzle remains: why, since David was Jewish, did Michelangelo sculpt him uncircumcised?

Draft saved Draft deleted