Deaf or hearing impaired? You or in the family?

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
My father being unable to hear anything insists on the term deaf and so do I.To say hearing impaired would indicate there is some hearing therefor the word impaired which is what Princess Tasha's son is since he has some hearing. When there is no hearing that is deafness when there is sound even muffled that to me fits the definitiion of impaired. The same for visually impaired and blind some sight even shapes makes it an impairment no sight would be blind.

I understand that completely but remember i'm a nurse so have to use 'visually/aurally impaired' whilst at work.

I used to say 'deaf' and 'blind' but since becoming a nurse am not allowed to.

BTW,my son say's 'I'm deaf in one ear but the other ear is impaired'....

Tevye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I understand that completely but remember i'm a nurse so have to use 'visually/aurally impaired' whilst at work.

I used to say 'deaf' and 'blind' but since becoming a nurse am not allowed to.

I didn't know you are a nurse and for your work situation you must of course follow their rules even if they are confusing. How your son defines this is the way many would.

You must say visually/aurally impaired at work what do you say when not at work?

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It really is but i doubt that would have happened if i hadnt have taken him out of school and got him into college where he took the performing arts course as well as the 2 core subjects which are compulsory.Even when he lost his foot (RTA) he was penalised by school teachers and told 'it served him right for not listening out for traffic':rolleyes:).

:rolleyes: indeed! Good on you for being a good Mum and encouraging him in what he loves doing :smile:.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My father being unable to hear anything insists on the term deaf and so do I.To say hearing impaired would indicate there is some hearing therefor the word impaired which is what Princess Tasha's son is since he has some hearing. When there is no hearing that is deafness when there is sound even muffled that to me fits the definitiion of impaired. The same for visually impaired and blind some sight even shapes makes it an impairment no sight would be blind.

I have heard this distinction made as well. The people I've spoken with about it have been a bit more unclear about where the line is drawn.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
I didn't know you are a nurse and for your work situation you must of course follow their rules even if they are confusing. How your son defines this is the way many would.

You must say visually/aurally impaired at work what do you say when not at work?

I don't really say anything tbh.If i'm talking about my son i generally say " ****** cannot hear anything in his right ear but has some hearing in the left one."

:rolleyes: indeed! Good on you for being a good Mum and encouraging him in what he loves doing :smile:.

The job he does now wouldnt have been my first choice as it is incredibly long hours,means i don't see him for months and pays very poorly BUT it is the thing he always wanted and so i support him in any way i can....including financially :eek:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The job he does now wouldnt have been my first choice as it is incredibly long hours,means i don't see him for months and pays very poorly BUT it is the thing he always wanted and so i support him in any way i can....including financially :eek:

Hee, hee. My parents still give me financial support in a lot of ways too. I can't wait till the day I finish uni, get a real job, and can start buying things for them. I bet your son feels the same.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
Hee, hee. My parents still give me financial support in a lot of ways too. I can't wait till the day I finish uni, get a real job, and can start buying things for them. I bet your son feels the same.

He buys me little pressies including a lovely iris candle that says 'I love you Mum' and a keyring saying the same and i love them to bits.He'll never be wealthy being in the circus but it is what he always wanted so i'm happy for him.

The circus are great where his hearing problem is concerned though they were amazed when i told them as they said they would never have guessed.

Tevye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
He buys me little pressies including a lovely iris candle that says 'I love you Mum' and a keyring saying the same and i love them to bits.He'll never be wealthy being in the circus but it is what he always wanted so i'm happy for him.

The circus are great where his hearing problem is concerned though they were amazed when i told them as they said they would never have guessed.
You have done well with your son. I worry about my two. The 19 year old has yet to not get fired from a job and wants to be a musician or comedian. He can't get a laugh when he tells a joke and he failed string music The 12 year old speaks of being an actor a florist and a chef in that order. He burns food and forgot his 8 words in a school play at least he is good with plants and flowers that gives me hope. I never relay my fears to them I have a wife who does that. My feeling is to try and encourage and bring in new ideas for them to try. It's the method my father used with me and that led to cartography then architecture and now back in cartography my real passion.

What does your son do in the circus?

Tevye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am losing some of my hearing. Can't afford to buy hearing aids.

(BTW, those that Lee Majors endorses on TV, will wind up costing you more than the advertised trial offer.)
Begin here and make inquiries into financial assistance if you have no insurance there may be organizations in your community that can help you purchase an aid.
Hearing Loss Association of America

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
You have done well with your son. I worry about my two. The 19 year old has yet to not get fired from a job and wants to be a musician or comedian. He can't get a laugh when he tells a joke and he failed string music The 12 year old speaks of being an actor a florist and a chef in that order. He burns food and forgot his 8 words in a school play at least he is good with plants and flowers that gives me hope. I never relay my fears to them I have a wife who does that. My feeling is to try and encourage and bring in new ideas for them to try. It's the method my father used with me and that led to cartography then architecture and now back in cartography my real passion.

What does your son do in the circus?

He's a junior clown & juggler but he's currently training with a hand balancer,ariel artist,zulu warriors and the contortionist as according to them he has the perfect body shape (very slender but has good muscle tone) for the things they do.In the circus the more they can do the better really as the more acts they do the more the artists are paid.....plus he enjoys the training cos to him it is fun fun fun!

He's the hardest working and determined out of all of my 6 children and one of them didnt even look for a job but lived off of me....she was 18 before she got the job she has now which is in a bookmakers.

Whatever your children decide to do and become you will be the proudest parent EVER....even if their chosen path isnt the one you would have chosen for them.

For me i am just thankful he is still here due to various things that could have killed him including the serious infections he had and the RTA which resulted in 5 surgeries to rebuild his foot,one of which took 10 hours with a plastic surgeon.He walks and runs etc etc like the rest of us.

He and the rest of my kids are all miracles:smile:

D_EdgarAllenPooh

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
this is what i say about myself & it seems odd to me that ppl will hear that then make a concious effort to speak towards my deaf ear when they see the bte (behind the ear aid) in my impaired ear

& I diagree with the term lipread I know that may sound odd but
I refer to it as speach reading because we not only watch lips but use body language & reference points in conversation to decipher what we hear then often repeat to verify what was said

lipreading alone can not possibly be done with greater than 50% accurecy & usualy around 25%

I am shocked that this thread has spawned so much interest

D_EdgarAllenPooh

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am losing some of my hearing. Can't afford to buy hearing aids.

(BTW, those that Lee Majors endorses on TV, will wind up costing you more than the advertised trial offer.)
contact
AUDIENT ALLIANCE
An affiliate of the Northwest Lions Foundation for Sight & Hearing
221 Yale Ave N, Suite 450
Seattle, WA 98109-5490
(206) 838-7194 (206) 838-7194
(206) 838-7195 Fax
1-877-283-4368
E-mail: info@audientalliance.org
Website: Hearing aid help for low income families - AUDIENT Alliance Homepage
they offer reduced pricing based on income you can get a voucher for a hearing exam & BTE or ITE (Behind the ear) or (in the ear) from an audioligist in your area they will give you a list of audiologist & set the appointment for you​

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My ex gf was a sign language interpreter and would be placed with deaf children in the school system, so that they could participate in regular classrooms. She taught me the alphabet (still have the chart hanging up on my work bulletin board) and a few words.

As hard as I try, I still find it a very difficult language to learn.

One of my closest friends is deaf. She and I have been friends since High School and communicate on a daily basis. Usually by text, sometimes by phone (TTL), but also get to see other seveal times a year. Our kids are best friends also.

She can talk a bit, but has difficulty pronouncing some words, so we use a partial talk/sign/finger spell method, lol. Sometimes she'll get excited and start going real fast. I've learned the "slow down" sign very well :wink:

Her son is my daughters best friend, so we are all together many of the times. He is hearing impaired and of course knows sign language extremely well. When she or I get totally lost with each other, we just grab him and say "What did they say?", lol.

btw, "PC" SUCKS BALLS:tongue:!! "Deaf" is not an insult. It is a definition or a description of their innability to hear. The majority of the deaf community use that term.

I will tell you one thing that I find extremely rude... As mentioned, she talks as she is signing, and it helps me quite a bit. I do the same with her because she is an extremely good lip reader. Of course, her voice is projected louder than usual because she can't hear how loud she is. The rude looks that we get from the general public pisses me off.

If it continues very long, I will usually very loudly ask "Can I help you??:mad:" Usually that turns them away, but I have been know to get a bit more aggressive. She's called me a jerk so many times, that's one sign I know very well :biggrin1:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
He's a junior clown & juggler but he's currently training with a hand balancer,ariel artist,zulu warriors and the contortionist as according to them he has the perfect body shape (very slender but has good muscle tone) for the things they do.In the circus the more they can do the better really as the more acts they do the more the artists are paid.....plus he enjoys the training cos to him it is fun fun fun!

That is so, so cool!

I will tell you one thing that I find extremely rude... As mentioned, she talks as she is signing, and it helps me quite a bit. I do the same with her because she is an extremely good lip reader. Of course, her voice is projected louder than usual because she can't hear how loud she is. The rude looks that we get from the general public pisses me off.

If it continues very long, I will usually very loudly ask "Can I help you??:mad:" Usually that turns them away, but I have been know to get a bit more aggressive. She's called me a jerk so many times, that's one sign I know very well :biggrin1:

That is immensely rude of them! If she is signing it would be obvious that the reason you are both talking loudly is because she is deaf. It's not as though you are just ignoring the social practice of speaking quietly in public for the fun of it!

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have auditory processing disorder, I think. See an article on the subject here: Auditory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. When I went to get a hearing test due to years of "Huh?" and "I didn't hear you calling my name," I was given a list of 20+ symptoms. I exhibited all but one.

So one of my compensating activities is to take notes all the time when learning something. If I can't take notes, I tune out and I learn nothing.

I think it's genetic: My (gay) father and I both say all the time "Huh?" and "I didn't hear you calling my name," we both are undiagnosed but truly ADHD, and we're both fascinated with other guys' cocks. Oh, and we're both big into the humanities AND the sciences while being good writers.

The only difference is that I didn't marry a woman and have four sons, two of whom were gay. :rolleyes::tongue:

NCbear (whose man is hearing impaired too, to a slight degree, but we're not sure exactly what to do about it)