Death of a King: An Icon Passed

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
When Burger King began their ad campaign featuring the wonderfully irreverent King with his big head and whimsically sardonic smirk, I for one was greatly amused. He, at one moment, lurking outside the window, another "waking up with the king", again, snatching the football at scrimmage - all wonderfully entertaining I thought, the character reminiscent of other "upstarts" like Buggs Bunny, or the Marx Brothers.

Now it's been announced that "The King" will be no more. The ad campaign as well as the icon, to be dropped for "something with broader appeal". Broader appeal is almost always synonymous with terribly bland, annoying "mainstream", and ultimately boorish, so I won't be holding my breath. Blink and we'll miss it, perhaps.

Maybe those of us "rebels" and not-so-mainstream fringe types should revolt. Start a petition for a "secession" of sorts...start up our own breakaway shops where we can have our burger, our irreverent cup of "Joe" AND our king (asshole though he was); and the rest of the world can just simply have their burger. Hold the king...and the onions. :rolleyes:

Damn. Just when we thought things could get no duller.