Death of Texas Man Stirs Racial Tension

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Death of Texas Man Stirs Racial Tension
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS, Tex. (AP) — In a gruesome case with powerful echoes of the dragging death of James Byrd a decade ago, a black man was killed beneath a truck in East Texas and two white men have been charged with murder.

Black activists and the victim’s mother are calling last month’s killing of Brandon McClelland, 24, a racist attack. But prosecutors cast doubt on that on Friday.

Mr. McClelland died after going with two white friends on a late-night beer run across the Oklahoma state line, investigators said. The authorities said he was run over and dragged as far as 70 feet. His torn-apart body was discovered along a bloodstained rural road on Sept. 16.

The case has raised racial tensions in Paris, a town of 26,000 with a history of race problems. Paris is 73 percent white and 22 percent black.

To some, it resembled the Byrd case of 1998, in which a black man in the East Texas town of Jasper, about 200 miles south of Paris, was chained by the ankles to the back of a pickup by three white supremacists and dragged three miles. Two of the killers are now on death row; the third is serving a life sentence.

Prosecutors in the McClelland case said they were looking into whether one of the defendants, Shannon K. Finley, had been in a white supremacist gang while in prison for killing a friend.

But they said they had seen no evidence that Mr. McClelland’s slaying was racially motivated. And they said the three men had been friends for years.

“This is a group of guys who had black friends and white friends,” said Allan Hubbard, a spokesman for the Lamar County district attorney’s office. “Any comparison to Jasper and James Byrd is preposterous.”

Autopsy results are expected this week. Investigators did not think Mr. McClelland had been tied to the truck, but they planned to look for evidence of how he was dragged.

A flier advertising a memorial service for Mr. McClelland said he had been “the victim of a brutal and racist hate crime.” The New Black Panthers met with investigators and held a news conference promising to examine the killing.
    “I truly feel that race played a part in it,” said the victim’s mother, Jacquline McClelland. “It is a racist town, and Paris has always been a racist town.”

According to court papers, Mr. Finley and Charles R. Crostley, both 27, told the police they had left the dry town to get beer in Oklahoma, and on the way back, the three men, all apparently drunk, argued about who was sober enough to drive. Mr. McClelland, a maintenance worker, decided to walk home, taking some beer with him, the men told the police.

But Mr. Finley’s estranged wife and one of his friends said they had been told by the two defendants that Mr. Finley began to bump Mr. McClelland with his truck until Mr. McClelland fell, and Mr. Finley drove over him, according to court papers. Mr. Finley and Mr. Crostley reportedly drove to a carwash to clean off the blood.

Mr. Crostley and Mr. Finley are jailed on charges of murder and evidence-tampering.

My heart goes out to the victims family and friends. No parent should ever have to bury a child. It's devastating to the soul.

However, there has to be more to this story than is being told. It's horrible and wrong but something is fishy here.

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I wonder what new details will emerge.

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

definitely horrible

definitely wrong

certainly hope NOT what is being implied

4. D_Brecock Evileye

D_Brecock Evileye New Member

I think it is a horrible thing that happened and regardless of motive the two should be punished for killing a man. Not a black man or any other tag used by all the media hungry political organizations. It dose not matter what race he was or if he was gay or jewish. He was a human, and we all need to see it that way.

5. Adam Bleytou

Adam Bleytou Active Member

Albums:
    R.I.P. Brandon McClelland.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

6. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

What the fuck is with all this racist shit all the time? Yeah, these guys are all “friends for years” and they all the sudden turn racist on the way home from a beer run. Sounds like a bunch of drunken idiots doing things drunken idiots do, not racism.

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Oh gosh, I don't think this has anything to do with race. I think it was an accident gone wrong. I feel for that family though.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I dunno... I've been in various levels of drunken stupor with many friends of different races, and yet none of them have been found "run over & dragged" by a car. Nobody is saying that it's a race or hate related crime yet. But I do have to agree with the OP, that does sound a little fishy.

"Gee, let's tie one of our 'friends' to a car and drag him 70 feet on the ground" just doesn't seem like a game drunk idiots would encourage. Shaving his head and putting a henna-tattoo on his chest that says, "I Love Bubba"? Now that's an entirely different game and I highly recommend it.

9. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    There was a reference in the report to one of the white guys having been in prison for killing a friend prevously. Presumeably that didn't result in a murder charge or he wouldn't be out so soon. The whole thing sounds weird to me. I hope the truth comes out.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

This sounds like hysteria. This story would not be in the news if not for the prior race related incident.

First of all- they were all friends. Second of all the two whites involved were clearly brain donors and the info that the driver had been jailed for killing ANOTHER friend- yet is already out- indicates it most probably was some kind of manslaughter conviction... mayhaps he "accidentally" killed another guy?

From what little info is available- it sounds like these guys were driving behind their buddy- who was pissed off and walking- and they were "nudging' and bumping him from behind with their bubba-truck...
    You can almost hear the peals of rural shithead laughter as the drunken good ole boys would let him walk a ways, then shove him from behind...

...until the one time the drunken driver pushed the accelerator on his truck just a little too hard- trying to give the guy a good shove, and the guy fell and the truck rolled over him with a bump....
    Maybe they looked and saw him already dead beneath the truck... or maybe they didn't

...Most likely, the two guys in the cab, looked at each other in moot horror, and the driver, who had accidentally killed a friend before, panicked, and roared away, not wanting to go back to jail... unaware that their friend was caught on the undercarriage and being dragged beneath the truck.

The combination of rural doofii, drunken pranks, and the power of shitfaced thought processes converged with tragic results.

And that SOME people will seize upon this criminal idiocy to further inflame racial tensions with accusations of racism, to further their OWN personal political agendas.... that is the true racism.

The new panthers are doing nothing but whipping up a furor that may well be misguided and predicated upon a lie.

Not to say that there isn't PLENTY of racism to address in this nation...

But they dilute their message and reduce their effectiveness when the perceive racism in EVERYTHING.

11. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    It might have been an accident gone horribly wrong, but here's what I don't get:

WHY would they go to Oklahoma to get beer??
    Oklahoma's beer is 3.2%. Texas beer is 6%.
    Oklahoma can't sell beer between 2AM and 6AM.

One would think if you're going to do a beer run, go to the place that has the highest percentage of alcohol. When I was living in Ok, we would run to Texas to get it.

12. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

It could have been drug related and not beer related. There are things that were never brought out in the James Byrd trial. It was easier to get the conviction they wanted by trying it as a racial hate crime than tell all the evidence. How do I know this? A friend of mine was told so by the Jasper Chief.
    Nobody deserves to die like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted