DEBATE: Should straight actors play gay characters?

Your opinion on the topic (detailed)

• No, Only gay actors should get gay roles

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Yes, It shouldn't matter at all

Votes: 86 44.8%
  • Yes, I don't mind (but I prefer it if gays are cast)

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • Yes, I don't mind (but I want gays to play straight equally)

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • Yes, I actually prefer straight actors play gay

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • No, but in rare cases I think it's fine

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
i think that, for a certain time, only gay actor should play gay roles simply because the ratio of gay characters to out gay men in the business is extremely disproportionate. Only giving gay roles to gay actors gives openly gay actors a lot more chances to shine and make a name for themselves in the industry, which could really serve as an equalizer and even work against the age-old hollywood tradition of forcing queer men to stay in the closet.
I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure shoe-Horning all the gay roles to just gay actors is the exact right answer?

For a multitude of reasons it just isn't even feasible I think. For one I don't think the numbers are there for that without significant overlap and repetition.

I think a lot more work needs to be done behind the scenes so that out gay actors face less discrimination to begin with.

ichbins

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Cologne (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure shoe-Horning all the gay roles to just gay actors is the exact right answer?

For a multitude of reasons it just isn't even feasible I think. For one I don't think the numbers are there for that without significant overlap and repetition.

I think a lot more work needs to be done behind the scenes so that out gay actors face less discrimination to begin with.
yeah but that's exactly the point... if the numbers are not there, maybe those kinds of restrictions would make sure that they are

Adamandadam

Expert Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First of all, the great majority of actors, in my knowledge, are gay or bisexual. But the straight ones are the most successful, having that alpha male energy. The next most successful are the ones who hide their bisexuality or gayness well. That is a necessity as a performer (of any kind) to perform well, one has to rise above personal limitations, and especially ingrained habits of speech or gesture. That said, when a straight actor plays a gay character, it often comes off as false, especially when kissing or making love. If an actor can be openly gay and get enough gay roles to sustain a career, fine, but there are very few people who can do that. So, it's just plain tricky. But rest assured that when an actor is openly heterosexual, even being married with children, it doesn't mean they are that way.

GeorgeMM

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did anyone grow up watching Rock Hudson movies? Imagine if someone had said, that he couldn't play straight.

Many of the problems faced by LGBTQ actors are the same ones faced by Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, etc. GLAAD and others just need to keep of pushing the movie industry to do better.

Reactions: bigboaster
D

deleted5199391

First of all, trying to force other creators to limit their art in any kind of way it's so wrong (unless illegal, of course).
Second, this would be a huge problem, basically forcing people to declare their sexual orientation. So wrong again.
It's just a lobby move, made from people with money for the people with money.

bigboaster

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Did anyone grow up watching Rock Hudson movies? Imagine if someone had said, that he couldn't play straight.

Many of the problems faced by LGBTQ actors are the same ones faced by Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, etc. GLAAD and others just need to keep of pushing the movie industry to do better.
Weren't there only ever rumors about him though? At the height of his success he was not openly gay right?

Reactions: cockydude2018

HeroSignalCosplay

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I actually agree. I think online publications and twitterites framing the issue around "gay roles" was a bit odd. I assumed that was the issue they seemed to care about most but I do think that more casting for out gay actors (in any role gay or straight) is a more meaningful discussion and would lead to better outcomes overall.

Particularly for the "gays can't play straight" trope since that is often the more pervasive stereotype that gets gay actors typecast to begin with and keeps so many actors in the closet. The myth that out gay actors can no longer play convincing straight roles once they come out. Which is just nonsense.
Complete nonsense. "Gays can't play straight" It's called ACTING for crying out loud where the person acts like people who usually are nothing or the complete opposite of their real selves. Hell look at Luke Evans before anyone knew about him he nailed all of his straight roles, even after when he did that Mom movie I never would've guessed he was gay.

Another thing and I cant stretch the hypocrisy enough, Hollywood has problem casting Lgbtq+ actors as straight characters but none whatsoever casting straight people in gay roles. You can't be okay with one and not the other. Don't get me wrong there are some straight actors who have played the HELL out of gay roles. Alex Landi in Gray's anatomy. Alyson Hannigan in BTVS, Jason Lewis in Midnight Texas (I know 2 out of 3 of those are supernatural shows but Im a nerd thats my wheelhouse) But there have been gay actors who were just as good if not better in reverse roles. As you said it's Hollywood's crappy stardards that keeps actors who want to come out or at least try to step out in the closet out of fear of rejection or being Typecast. Im not gonna front when I first came out during high school, I use to share the same views only in my case I was against Straight actors playing gay roles because I thought they would be so uncomfortable they wouldnt do justice to the roles which in my defense was based off the movies and shows I did see back then when romance scenes were cut and/or edited for sake of the str8 actors starring in them. But that was wrong of me to think that way because it's suppose to be equal, if someone's uncomfortable with the scene they shouldnt have taken the part to begin with but then again not every movie is or has been a good one lol. Whether the person can be convincing has to do with their talent and skills NOT THEIR SEXUALITY!

Reactions: bigboaster

HeroSignalCosplay

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Oh yeah. It caused an uproar when he finally "came out" because he was so delinquent publicly declaring. He did play all the stereotypes to a tee!
Like that dude from High School Musical, Lucas (forgot his last name) he played Ashley's Tisdale's character's brother. Everybody pretty much knew so when he actually "came out" everyone was like "ok....duh but ok good for you" Hell I knew he was gay back when that movie premiered back in Jr High and I wasnt out or even aware of myself back then. Guess my gaydar became apparent before I did lol

HeroSignalCosplay

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
View attachment 61547551

Eric Stonestreet describes himself as "openly straight". He did an amazing job playing his character in Modern Family.
I love that guy, and he guest starred on an ep of Scare Tactics which I loved. He did a great job playing Cam but "openly straight" what does that even mean?

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love that guy, and he guest starred on an ep of Scare Tactics which I loved. He did a great job playing Cam but "openly straight" what does that even mean?
He's just trying to be funny. Famous gay men often are labelled "openly gay" rather than just gay. So he's just reversing the term as a joke.

For the record, he is a straight identifying man playing a gay character.

spacejuice

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The problem isn't in whether or not straight actors can play gay actors.

Because of the principle for acting, it SHOULDN'T be a problem.

But the actual problem at play goes beyond the actors. The problem is that the opportunities afforded to straight actors are vastly larger than the opportunities afforded to gay actors. Straight actors are offered gay roles far more often than gay actors are offered straight roles (adjusted for population, of course).

As long as hollywood remains this outright homophobic, every straight actor who takes a role playing a gay part IS taking one of the very few roles afforded to queer actors.

If Hollywood wasn't so damn bigoted, this wouldn't be an issue. It SHOULD be totally fine for a straight actor to explore playing a queer character. But until the bigotry which creates the disparity is addressed, then the straight actor is actively participating in a system which privileges them over queer performers.