December 21, 2012

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think, basically, passing though the massive gravity plain emanating from the galaxy's central super massive black hole, as we will on 21/23 -12 -2012, may well be enough to physically knock the whole planet off it's current spinning axis.

Like a spinning top, if it bumps into something it no longer spins true and wobbles on a random new axis... unlike a spinning top, which then stops and falls, the Earth once it's taken this gravity impact causing the new random wobble, would carry on moving out of the galaxy's gravity plain.

The planet then has time to settle into it's new rotational axis.

All well and good. So what effect does this have.

Well, one from what I can understand.

The Earth's tectonic plates are floating on the mantle/core, they are not attached, this would allow freedom of moment.

The planet is revolving incredibly fast, this actually has the effect of shaping the planet into a slightly squashed sphere, thicker at the equator due to centrifugal force of rotation.

OK, so if the planet spins on a new rotational axis, the old locations of the poles will push back up and the new pole locations will pull down. Equally, the old equator will drop down and the new equator will be forced out, due to the centrifugal force of rotation.

This equals, in short, the planet would be fucked and we are all gonna snuff it in massive floods and earthquakes... THE END!

The Boxing Day earthquake 2004 was about 9.3 and only 30km deep, one of the most powerful quakes in recorded history, lasting only about ten minutes and causing quakes as far away as Alaska, that was from a plate slip measuring 1600km long and shifting up only about 20m. Can you image the force released from the whole planet reconfiguring it's shape!

On a lighter note, this seems to have happened a number of times in Earth's 4 billion year old history and we, Earth, is still here. It may happen every time we cross the galaxy's gravity plain, once every few tens of thousands of years, yet there is still life here on Earth.

I'm seeing a degree of frightening and understandable, rational science here, just dress up in a lot of frightening superstition and doom saying.

I've decided to hide under the bed, which is of course the safest place for us pups in times of distress and fear.

Last edited:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The bees aren't going to be extinct in 4 years. Around here, they grow like Love Bugs, expanding every year. Add to that an influx of those killer bees, (bees with extreme PMS and a stinger. Any questions??) which do the same job, only don't make as much honey. Trust me. We are NOT running out of those little bastards.

IF we have a polar shift, (and we might) it most likely will cause severe earthquakes everywhere. Take into account everything magnetic in the Earth's crust, mantle and core that will want to re-orient with the poles. (think big metal deposits) It also might trigger a strong EMP that will zap any electrical circuit that is in operation. (turn the computers and cars off on that day)

Whatever happens on that day will happen at 11:00 AM GMT.
I am curious to see what events will occur besides everyone freaking out like they did in Y2K.

Arrggh!

Saying we MIGHT have a polar shift is like saying you MIGHT get gunned down by random sniper. The is NO GODDAMN WAY TO PREDICT THAT SHIT! And while past evidence of pole changes have been shown to have been geologically instant, "geologically instant" can be 1 million or more years. Humans have never experienced a pole shift, so it could be more-or-less immediate (on out timescale), or it could take eons and eons, if it were to happen.

Furthermore, what makes you think that catastrophic event, if one were to happen, would occur at 1100 GMT?

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That pole shift stuff is highly, highly unlikely. Its just as likely as an cataclysmic asteroid.

I don't think ti is going to be the end of the world. Just the end of society as we are used to it now. be it a new religion, or the decline of America. I don't think anything particularly special will happen on December 21st.

Last edited:

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Furthermore, what makes you think that catastrophic event, if one were to happen, would occur at 1100 GMT?

11:00 AM GMT is the calculated time that we start crossing the horizontal alignment with the equator of the galaxy. It'll start around then or after that time. It's a "wait and see" thing.

As for the pole flipping, scientists don't know if or when it will happen or even how fast it happens. They do know that we are overdue for one and they're thinking that date might be the date that makes it happen considering all the gravity influences going on that day.

In trying to study Earth's electromagnetic fields, scientists have recreated a spinning "planet" in a lab with an electromagnetic field like Earth's. That "planet" spontaneously "flipped" it's poles a few times. Since this "planet was on a much smaller scale and spinning much faster than Earth, they haven't been able to lock it down to Earth time to get a close to exact idea of how often it happens to the Earth, including how long it takes the poles to flip. So they estimate every 30,000 years or so.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
One item that seems to be left off of the list, is that there are supposed to be solar flares predicted for 2012, that make the 1989 set looking like a mere blip. The ensuing geomagnetic storms Geomagnetic storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are what I've been hearing that scientist are actually considering a notable event due around that time.

D

deleted213967

I need more time to pay off my IRS debt.

Is there a way I can appeal Armageddon's date?

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think if you all read a blog entry of yours truly, you'd see that nothing happened last year, and I doubt anything's gonna happen THIS YEAR. I mean, think about what we're basing our paranoia on; The Calendar of a race of Mayans who have no date past 12/21/12; So what?! What has happened over the course of one full yrs time that makes think we're all in deep shit now, Francis?
Nothing.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There will be the "end-of-the-world" party, then the next day hangovers and get on with life.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Have we got to be worried about the 12th December or the 21st? :rolleyes:

I've heard it is the 21st of December but the 20th would make the date match the year >
I thought the predictions were simply saying that the Mayan calendar ends (not life on Earth) and I also understood it to be the start of a new era in Human evolution.
Perhaps it will be the demise of capitalism - the cracks are already showing.

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
How are you going to do the no fap for 90 days challenge? :biggrin1:
Nah I'm totally unprepared for the world ending which is good because it won't.