Decided i've got too fat

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
So its time to loose some weight. I'm 6ft dead. And 17st. But in all fairness i carry it well. Due to my job i can't always work out because of the hours normally 12+ hours a day 5 days a week with early starts (between 4am and 5am). I'm looking at my diet which i think i can improve on, cutting out sweets and crisps, not having sugar in my tea or coffee etc. But can anyone help me devise a regime to help loose weight (body fat specifically). I would be very greatful.

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
1 stone = 14lbs. I'm looking to loose 3 stone, so thats 42lbs off the top of my head. Played football (proper football, with a round ball and nets :)) on monday and noticed i wasn't up and down the pitch like i should be, so the time has come to drop a few pounds. Thinking of playing more squash, and instead of walking the dog, jogging with her. Anything other ideas would be good, something i can do without weights etc.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok this is pretty simple from the days that I had to drop 40 pounds. It takes a year. No salt, no sugar, no fried food, no liquor. Eat 5 small meals a day consisting mostly of steamed vegetables and fruit. Only have red meat once a week.
Exercise at the gym 4 times a week for 45 minutes and the other 3 days walk for 30 minutes twice a day. Good luck!

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
I can't get to the gym 4 times a week. I work 12-14 hour days and when you factor in travel to and from work. I get time to eat and sleep when i'm not at work. I get two days a week off work max!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't get to the gym 4 times a week. I work 12-14 hour days and when you factor in travel to and from work. I get time to eat and sleep when i'm not at work. I get two days a week off work max!

Well then make the best use of your two days off working out for 45 minutes on those days and use some of your time at home or on a break from work to get some calorie burning activity, even if it's walking or doing squats, because diet alone will not give you the desired results, othewise there would be far more trim people in the world.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Remember, good rule of thumb: Eat as naturally as possible (meaning foods actually found it nature -- which excludes chips, Twinkies, Pepsi, McDonald's, Fruity Pebbles, etc)

Shop the perimeter of the supermarket. That's where the real stuff is (grapes, lettuce, milk, meats, 100% OJ, melons, tomatoes, potatoes, etc).

And avoid all the interior isles, if possible, where all the fatty, sugared, boxed, processed, hydrogenated, salted-up, reconstituted pseudo-foods are kept.

Losing weight and cardio: Whatever cardio you choose, whether gym treadmill or biking or fast walking or jogging -- keep it up for 40 minutes! Very important to keep the heart rate up at a certain level: builds a healthy heart & burns calories. I try to do 45 minutes of cardio each day. I have a good elliptical (treadmill) in my apartment, so I can workout (multi-task!) & watch the news, listen to music at the same time.

All good advice here. I would like to add something else which is to be consistent and don't give up when the pounds don't immediately melt away. I say this as a formerly overweight person. I can't tell you the number of guys I see in the gym who workout like maniacs for a month or two and don't see the pounds immediately melt off, so they get frustrated and quit. It took years for me to get my weight off. I'm not much for dieting, so working out is the solution for me. I do however monitor what I eat, cut back, eat sensibly and stop eating once I am full. That took me a long time to learn as I was brought up with the "clean your plate even if you're full" mentality. I have found that through regular exercise, my appetite has decreased by about 50% and I don't crave junk food or alcohol as much anymore. That too has helped me shed the pounds. Dieting alone doesn't work. You can't stay on a diet for the rest of your life. Once you go off it, you will binge and gain back all of the weight plus some.

One other thing...don't join a gym right after New Year's. These "New Year's resolutioners" come and go within a month or two. I always hate going to the gym from Jan-Feb because the place is packed to the teeth with these people. By the middle to end of Feb, the gym is a ghost town again. You may find it too overwhelming/frustrating to workout with so many people around because it is difficult to get a turn on the equipment. Also the pressure of a New Year's resolution is too much stress. You have to make a lifestyle change. To me, exercising regularly is as much a part of my routine as eating and sleeping is. You will eventually get to the point (like I did) where you miss working out if you don't go in. If I don't get in at least 2-3 times/week, I feel lousy.

Good luck and don't give up! I once heard and will always remember "nothing tastes as good as being in shape feels". I think this is very true. Being in shape does wonders for your self-esteem and general well being. You will feel better, sleep better and think better when you are in shape.

Take it you don't fat doughnuts while watching telly then lol. Some good advice there

I'm not a big doughnut fan, but I do eat junk food once in awhile if the mood strikes me. The key is moderation. Because I exercise regularly, I can enjoy the odd indulgence guilt free. As I mentioned in my other posts, my cravings have subsided since working out. For example, I used to love potato chips (crisps), and I could polish off a bag in one sitting. Now potato chips make me feel nauseous after eating them. If I get a craving now, I eat Sun Chips instead (I don't know if you have them in the U.K. or not). They are made from multigrains and are baked rather than fried. I only allow myself to bring a small bowl of them to the couch rather than the entire bag. I enjoy them and don't feel sick later because they are healthier. Also, because the bag isn't sitting in front of me, I don't feek the urge to finish the bag. One bag of Sun Chips lasts me up to 3 weeks now. It's the same with beer. A 6 pack lasts me about 4 months now. Sometimes I go a month without even one beer. I just don't crave it as much anymore. The only downside of that though is that I get hammered after 2 beers now - LOL! Funny, but true.

You will be amazed how much your tastes change once you make the commitment to adopt a healthy lifestyle. It's hard at first, but gradually the cravings will fade and you will wonder how you ever ate so much junk food in the past. Good luck! :smile:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
regardless of what anyone says, or what any diet or exercise regimen claims, there is only ONE WAY to lose weight.

Take in fewer calories than you NEED for your given weight.

That is it.

Some folks try to exercise like crazy so they can burn more calories... but this is mostly so they can continue to eat the way they currently do. This is a backasswards approach- rather than simply reduce the number of calories you take in... you artificially increase the number of calories you burn.

This almost always ends in failure, because your exercise is supporting a higher number of calories, and therefore, when you find your life gets busy... or you sprain an ankle, pull a tendon or otherwise have an injury that interrupts your exercise regimen ( and your exercise regimen WILL get interrupted, trust me ) you will gain back the weight rapidly because you are in the habit of eating enough for a much higher calorie burn.

Therefore, the most successful dieters are thos whodo not go on a diet, but simply permanently reduce the amount of food they consume, regardless of their level of exercise.

I lost 35 pounds over a period of 4 months simply by eating a LOT less food. Smaller portions, and fewer actual meals.
To manage it, I had to learn to LIKE the feeling of being "empty".
I did not increase my level of 'exercise' in the slightest.

Exercise for reasons of cardio health, fitness and a generally better quality of life... but NOT for weight management.

Here's a few interesting facts- you burn MORE calories SITTING in a pool, than running a Marathon.
-Because in a pool your body loses heat 9 times faster than in air, your body burns more calories simply to keep up with heat loss.

Its a simple formula- LESS food, LESS you.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not quite that simple, Phil. Yes, there is the calorie in-out balance, but the body is a dynamic system which adapts to circumstances.

Exercise will promote muscle-growth and muscle tissue will consume more calories even when at rest. It only takes a few days for exercised muscle tissue to grow more mitochondria (the energy-burning organelles of the cells) and release hormones to encourage capiliary growth to provide more blood-flow with its glucose and oxygen to use as fuel.

So exercising has more benefit than just burning off calories while you do it.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
regardless of what anyone says, or what any diet or exercise regimen claims, there is only ONE WAY to lose weight.

Take in fewer calories than you NEED for your given weight.

That is it.

Some folks try to exercise like crazy so they can burn more calories... but this is mostly so they can continue to eat the way they currently do. This is a backasswards approach- rather than simply reduce the number of calories you take in... you artificially increase the number of calories you burn.

This almost always ends in failure, because your exercise is supporting a higher number of calories, and therefore, when you find your life gets busy... or you sprain an ankle, pull a tendon or otherwise have an injury that interrupts your exercise regimen ( and your exercise regimen WILL get interrupted, trust me ) you will gain back the weight rapidly because you are in the habit of eating enough for a much higher calorie burn.

Therefore, the most successful dieters are thos whodo not go on a diet, but simply permanently reduce the amount of food they consume, regardless of their level of exercise.

I lost 35 pounds over a period of 4 months simply by eating a LOT less food. Smaller portions, and fewer actual meals.
To manage it, I had to learn to LIKE the feeling of being "empty".
I did not increase my level of 'exercise' in the slightest.

Exercise for reasons of cardio health, fitness and a generally better quality of life... but NOT for weight management.

Here's a few interesting facts- you burn MORE calories SITTING in a pool, than running a Marathon.
-Because in a pool your body loses heat 9 times faster than in air, your body burns more calories simply to keep up with heat loss.

Its a simple formula- LESS food, LESS you.

If only i didnt like to eat tasty food so much.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's not quite that simple, Phil. Yes, there is the calorie in-out balance, but the body is a dynamic system which adapts to circumstances.

Exercise will promote muscle-growth and muscle tissue will consume more calories even when at rest. It only takes a few days for exercised muscle tissue to grow more mitochondria (the energy-burning organelles of the cells) and release hormones to encourage capiliary growth to provide more blood-flow with its glucose and oxygen to use as fuel.

So exercising has more benefit than just burning off calories while you do it.

That is the very trap. Exercise enables you to eat more calories.
Therefore, the minute your exercise regime is interrupted...and as you age it WILL get interrupted, you find that you gain weight fast.