Decided i've got too fat

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well then make the best use of your two days off working out for 45 minutes on those days and use some of your time at home or on a break from work to get some calorie burning activity, even if it's walking or doing squats, because diet alone will not give you the desired results, othewise there would be far more trim people in the world.

Do 1/2 hour interval training sessions in any local, outdoor area. Eventually couple with a little bit of 'floor' work which takes no equipment or an expensive membership to a gym. Do yoga/pilates/whatevah on your off days.

Worked for me, getting my shit back together. Feel free to PM me and I can tell you more. But it's not impossible with your schedule, which is very much like mine.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
regardless of what anyone says, or what any diet or exercise regimen claims, there is only ONE WAY to lose weight.

Take in fewer calories than you NEED for your given weight.

That is it....

Here's a few interesting facts- you burn MORE calories SITTING in a pool, than running a Marathon.
-Because in a pool your body loses heat 9 times faster than in air, your body burns more calories simply to keep up with heat loss.

Its a simple formula- LESS food, LESS you.

Not totally true, mister. It's also about changing your body's way of accessing the fat as fuel. And if the metabolism is significantly lowered due to over dieting, poor dieting, lack of exercise, hormonal reasons, blah-de-blah-de-blah, then it takes a bit more than just dropping the amount of food. Has alot to do with the choices and timing, as well as the volume.

The other problem with ONLY decreasing the food intake is that the body begins to eat itself, which means you can lose muscle tissue.

Also swimming solely for cardio can have the effect of placing a protective layer of fat on the body to protect it from the cold of the water. I'm not saying you'll look fat...and it's great great exercise. But you will be a bit softer looking than if you're looking for a massively cut, tight shape. Which is not necessarily easy to maintain or really that necessary.

If you want a lean body, check the physiques of gymnasts and sprinters/track and field athletes (but NOT marathoners...their bodies canabalise themselves for the demand of their sport). Full body training with explosive movement creates a more functional bod that keeps its muscle and goes 'lean'.

Last edited:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a simple solution that allowed me to lose 20 lbs in less than 2 months;

EAT VEGETARIAN. If you are not willing to do that to lose weight than you are not serious about losing it.

I read in a Men's Health magazine that you should drink 2 cups of chilled water as soon as you wake up, and consume a minimum of 250 calories within the first hour of being awake. Doing both of these things will kick start your metabolim, so it doesn't go into "starvation" mode. I have been doing this for the last few months, and I have experienced more weight loss. It was hard for me at first to eat in the morning as I'm not a fan of breakfast. Since I started doing this, I have found that not only my weight has dropped, but I also have more energy (I don't feel so drowsy in the morning now) and I don't crave junk like muffins in the morning anymore. For the mornings that I'm in a rush, I blend some protein powder with water and fruit. I can drink it while I'm getting ready for work. This normally holds me over until lunch time.

Last edited by a moderator:

regardless of what anyone says, or what any diet or exercise regimen claims, there is only ONE WAY to lose weight.

That is it.

Some folks try to exercise like crazy so they can burn more calories... but this is mostly so they can continue to eat the way they currently do. This is a backasswards approach- rather than simply reduce the number of calories you take in... you artificially increase the number of calories you burn.

This almost always ends in failure, because your exercise is supporting a higher number of calories, and therefore, when you find your life gets busy... or you sprain an ankle, pull a tendon or otherwise have an injury that interrupts your exercise regimen ( and your exercise regimen WILL get interrupted, trust me ) you will gain back the weight rapidly because you are in the habit of eating enough for a much higher calorie burn.

Therefore, the most successful dieters are thos whodo not go on a diet, but simply permanently reduce the amount of food they consume, regardless of their level of exercise.

I lost 35 pounds over a period of 4 months simply by eating a LOT less food. Smaller portions, and fewer actual meals.
To manage it, I had to learn to LIKE the feeling of being "empty".
I did not increase my level of 'exercise' in the slightest.

Exercise for reasons of cardio health, fitness and a generally better quality of life... but NOT for weight management.

Here's a few interesting facts- you burn MORE calories SITTING in a pool, than running a Marathon.
-Because in a pool your body loses heat 9 times faster than in air, your body burns more calories simply to keep up with heat loss.

Its a simple formula- LESS food, LESS you.

Everything in moderation. As I mentioned in my other posts, I don't believe that dieting works nor does working out like a maniac for a short period of time and then quitting. It's about making permanent lifestyle choices and changes, and being moderate with what you consume and how much you consume. As I also mentioned before, exercise has helped me reduce my junk food cravings and reduced my appetite by 50%. When I do eat snacks and meals, I am more inclined to reach for something healthy because I just don't want to eat junk anymore. Therefore, I'm burning more calories by exercising + consuming less calories = permanent weight loss. I have to diasgree with your point that exercise doesn't result in weight loss. It has only been through consistent exercise that I have managed to drop my weight, reduce my appetite and keep the pounds off permanently. Your body burns more calories after weight training than it does after a cardio session. I have had countless trainers tell me this. After cardio exercise your body stops burning calories after 1 hour while after weight training, your body continues to burn calories for hours resulting in weight loss.

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
I weighed myself no a supermarket scales when i finished work. 17st 4lbs. Or 242lbs for my american friends. Now that was with jeans, t shirt, and heavy work boots. So i'm going to weigh myself at the same place every other saturday to red any difference. I'm also going to take a full body pic and put it on the fridge, and i'll post it here too, so i can see any difference too. Thanks for the help folks. Keep an eye no a this thread for my progress. And a bit of motivation goes a long way.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Remember, good rule of thumb: Eat as naturally as possible (meaning foods actually found it nature -- which excludes chips, Twinkies, Pepsi, McDonald's, Fruity Pebbles, etc)

McDonald's is found in nature, look, it's right there next to the park.

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
Typical, the scales are busted at the place i went to. (I want to use the same scales so the measurements aren't distorted.) Don't think i've lost any weight over christmas. But few people would over christmas. But did go swimming last night for the first time in years. I used to be able to do 3 miles in one go, but no longer. I'd be amazed if i did 1.5 miles in total. But all the scallies in the pool didn't help matters. Got a membership at the swimming pool so it costs £3.00 instead of £3.60. And on top of the football i play on a monday i think i need one more activity to help my weight loss. Not sure whether to do a class at the local gym, or start martial arts again. But i'm walking the dog more, we got a new dog at weekend so i have a spare dog when i tire one out lol

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1 stone = 14lbs. After 17st, it's 17st 1lb ("seventeen stone one" in speech). But 17st 7lb would be "seventeen and a half stone". Quaint, huh? Most people round to the nearest half stone, unless they're watching their weight.

Any idea why the USA dropped stones from the Imperial System? (Do you call it that over there?) Though I think we only use them for body weight nowadays.

Last edited:

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
And don't forget 16oz in a 1lb. And 1oz = 25.4 grams. But either way still not weighed myself yet. Can't eat that weight watchers stuff, i find it tasteless. I'm eating carrots and apples for snacks.

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
Found a 1.7 mile route to do. Did it last night and good lord. Had to pump twice due to some tightening of my calfs but still did it in 14min 26 seconds. Now i used to be able to do 3 miles in just under 21 min which is a decent pace. Going to do it again tonight in the same time but not stop.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That is it.

No that isn't it.
Taking in less calories will cause the body to reset metabolic rate making it harder to lose weight.
(A natural reaction to low food situations to avoid using stored calories too quickly)
Exercise can help keep the metabolic rate up.
This is the cause of the rebound a lot of dieters experience when they go back to their old eating habits. The weight will come back. Back quicker than they lost it and often they end up weighing more because the lower metabolic rate allows them to burn calories faster.

bigdik09

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Every one shouls avoide dairy from cows it is extremly bad for your body it can actually cause bad teeth & ostioporosis. You should switch to Goat & sheep milk products that havn't been pasteurized

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some very good advice here.
My mom used to say the best exercise for losing weight was pushing yourself away from the dinner table.

Less calories, Less fat, more fiber.
Less sugar and salt
Less caffeine
Cut out soda including diet soda

A diet doctor I used to listen to on the radio used to say when going shopping buy fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans and then go to the checkout.
No breads
No dairy
No meat - If eating keep it to a minimum
Some fish OK
Claimed to have great success with his patients that followed his advice.

Cook simple meals for yourself
Avoid restaurants.
Packaged prepared foods are a minefield of poor nutrition

D_Doewell Dadong

Experimental Member
Media
Not a chance i'm giving up milk. Love the stuff. I cook all my own food, so thats not a problem. I only use olive oil, and last week got a 1 cal spray for cooking. The diet i'm trying is basically high protien and fibre low fat. I'm not a coffee type person if i have a hot drink its green tea. Its a long road. Just need a bit of support.