Decided i've got too fat

youngdane

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Find the tipping point in your metabolism. If you can HONESTLY monitor calorie intake and outgo (by exercise) it isn't that hard. If you track what you are eating now down to the calorie and gram, you will be shocked at the amounts of fat, sodium, and sugar that you are ingesting. Reduce calorie intake little by little. Substitute water for all other drinks. Add in 2-3 days a week of 30-45 minutes of cardio at 80% of max heart rate and you are there.

It is really that simple. There is no magic diet.

Less calories in + more calories burned = less weight

Rate of weight loss then becomes dependent on how disciplined you become about making small lifestyle changes. Don't underestimate the time it takes to do this in a healthy way. 2lbs a week is a good way to go. 21 weeks, right? DO IT! Post your progress here....

Last edited:

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
2lbs a week is a good way to go. 21 weeks, right? DO IT! Post your progress here....

2 lbs per week may be unrealistic.
Again my New Years Resolution is to lose weight
If I can do a lb a week I will be most happy.

Usually the first week or two 5 or more lbs comes off each week and then it gets very hard.
I don't know if it is true but I heard that changing to a healthy diet eliminates a lot of sodium from the system that is causing water retention and that water loss from change in sodium balance is the reason for the initial loss of many pounds.

Math
Person eats 2000 calories a day. (OP possibly 2500)
One must burn 3600 calories to lose one lb of fat.
500 calories x 7 days in 1 week = 3500 lb in one week.

Average person would have to cut calorie intake in half to lose 2 lb a week.

I think cutting calories back 12-15% is where the metabolic rate slowdown occurs.

Walking at about 3 mph (walking a dog pace) would burn about 350 calories for the OP in 1 hour.

So if he could cut back on calorie intake about 12% (300 calories)
Walk 1 hour (350 calories) that would be 4,900 calories a week (over a pound) keeping his metabolic rate up and less likely to go off the diet because he is not eating so much less than he is used to

It would take 30 weeks to lose 40 lbs

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Most of the advice on this site is reasonably accurate. But no one has mentioned that simply walking without stopping (not fast, not slow, just walking) for 15 minutes is an excellent start to getting your body's metabolism to slowly increase. A 15 minute dog walk in the morning (I know, they need to stop and sniff everything) and another dog walk at night) will make a major difference -- and prevent the real possibility of overdoing your Achilles tendons which, with little difficulty, can rip out of place if they are not warmed up and not use to activity.

My doctor's advice in Barçelona has been the best: don't eat anything white. Sugar, rice, potatoes, bread, things made of white flour, salt, etc., unless it's a vegetable. After you've cut all the sugar and salt out of your diet for a couple of months apples, carrots, and almost all fruits except citrus can taste so sickeningly sweet you won't believe it.