Decriminalizing pot!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Not_Punny, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Rep. Barney Frank, Massachusetts, has a proposal on the floor (to the House of Representatives) to decriminalize pot.

If HR 5843 were passed, the House would support marijuana smokers possessing up to 100 grams -- about 3½ ounces -- of cannabis without being arrested. It would also give its blessing to the "nonprofit transfer" of up to an ounce of marijuana.

Read the article

2. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The government legalizing this would probably mean ridiculous prices. A street dime-bag is 10 bucks, 15 for some outta-this-world product, the government would probably charge 30 bucks for shwag, and probably limit how much u could buy at a time.

ALTHOUGH, I LOVE the idea of having a guaranteed source, the pharmacy, gas station, or wherever they'd sell this stuff, beats waiting in the parking lot of a supermarket for someone who might not show up.

On the flipside again, the govt. would probably be just as bad as the Weedman about hyping up their product.

3. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    It doesn't change laws that prohibit the SELLING of pot, so you'd probably still have to use your old sources. Yaaaay parking lots!

But at lease YOU wouldn't get arrested if you have the stuff on you or in your car.

- - - -

I don't buy or use the stuff myself, but I know plenty of folk who do, and I get soooo worried for them.

4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

It's legal in Ottawa to posess up to 15 grams, but the the cops officially won't even bother you unless you have over 30. The chief of police also said that enforcing this will be up to the discretion of the individual officer, so you could possibly get caught with hundreds of grams and not be charged.

It may seem fairly liberal to allow people to posess any amount of weed, but I think that even the unofficial 30-gram allowance is unfair. Canada's marijuana law has been nonexistent since July 31, 2001--a year after the Canadian Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional. I've been in Ottawa for 10 years and I haven't seen any increase in potheads, or even marijuana usage in general.

Surprising!

5. lucky8

Gold Member

WRONG! Ever been to Amsterdam? I have, and you can get a gram of the best shit on Earth for $7, no stems, no seeds, pure sensi. The same would happen here. The government wouldn't fuck with shwag...nobody would except the Mexicans, and then they'd eventually have to start growing sensi too, and the price of bud you buy from dealers would decrease due to increased competition.

This isn't the first time a bill like this has been proposed. I highly doubt it will pass, but if it does, I doubt the government would sell pot, at least not any time soon, there's more pressing issues at the moment.

Many cities have laws similar to this. I lived in Lawrence, KS for awhile (definately a big time stoner college) and while I was there, the city passed a law that if you're caught smoking or with pot on you and it's less than an ounce, all you get is a citation. I know Denver and Boulder are like this, I think the twin cities are too, and i'm sure countless others. If you ask me, that's the way to go. I'll take a ticket over jail anytime.

The feds will probably leave this a state issue, as they do with just about everything else.

6. lucky8

Gold Member

Barney Frank is a dem, rep. is referring to representative

7. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    no seeds pure sensi haha

8. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you progressive folks realize how many correctional jobs would be cut as a result of a halved prison population (yep, roughly, half of the incarcerated population consists of non-violent drug offenders).

Shame on you!:wink:

9. lucky8

Gold Member

I believe N.W.A. said it the best...

10. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL, the war on drugs is a disguise for the war on the middle class. Whitney Houston being busted with pot isn't the same as Joe Nobody being busted with pot.

I almost don't want to read the rest since you're comparing the US government to Europe's government. They're like night and day.

Since when do they focus on pressing issues that don't support their current agenda?

Oh, I'm SURE the states' main objective will be selling good product for a cheap price. I doubt that they'd try to maximize profits by selling lower grades for a higher price, cuz of course people would stop smoking if it wasn't the highest high of all highs.

11. Insanedragon

Insanedragon New Member

It's being illegal that keeps the price up. I hope they legalize it, there are already to many people in jail for no reason. According to the constitution, if what you are doing is not directly harming some one else it can not be illegal. Also where marijuana is decriminalized the % of hard drugs drops. Where there has been eradication attempts, such as in Hawaii, the hard drug problems and the crime associated with it increases a lot. Besides a drop in crime the US spends big bucks that it does not recoup on the war on pot. Personally I would rather pay less taxes and be free to choose my own way of life. FTG, IMO.

12. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mexico has already gone beyond simply pot. However, the experiment is still in its infancy and it may take years before we can assess the impact.

13. lucky8

Gold Member

Marley, when I say it would be left up to the states, I was referring to a law being passed that decrimanilized possession of smaller amounts.

Now let's get this straight. IF pot were decrimanilized and the government made it legal to buy and sell, the government would NOT make money from growing its own weed and selling it. Instead, it would make its money from TAXING INDEPENDENT PRODUCERS AND SELLERS, just like they do with every other product or service in this country. These producers would then probably produce some of the best marijuana this planet has ever seen, thanks to our free market economy.

Would you rather I compare America with Vancouver than Amsterdam?

14. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

My understanding is that this bill does not really decriminalize it. It merely allows people to possess up to one-quarter pound of it. Personally, I think that is too much to allow, but the basic idea is fine by me. However, as part of this I would like to see PI and DWI laws heavily strengthened. If you want to smoke some pot in you home, that seems reasonable enough. Just sober up before heading out. Also, those receiving welfare, low-cost housing, food stamps, Medicaid, etc, ought to still see their benefits stripped for any amount of possession. If you are so poor that you need government subsidies, the you are, by definition, too poor to afford pot. (Yeah, they could have received it for free, but I'd put the burden on them to prove that they got it for free.) I also disagree with the "nonprofit" transfer of one ounce issue. That seems to be an enforcement nightmare. The government would have the burden of proving that the individual received more in the transfer than what he paid for it. Last time I checked, not many ordinary pot dealers issue receipts. If you want to share your pot with a friend then just give it to him, or let him find his own.

15. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, so is the war on crime a state-wide or federal war on poverty?

That's awfully presumptuous. Some restaurants exceed health standards and offer great service and food, some have rats in the kitchen and are more concerned with shoving you out the door than satisfying your pallet. I doubt that every pot distributor would offer great products, greed+cost effectiveness would come into play, but I'm sure there'd be some good sticky sold.

Maybe I'm biased against my home country, but I believe that the backwards/behind the times attitudes, arrogance, and obssessive political correctess yet tolerance of discrimination all combined are unique facets of America.

16. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Thanks. That still trips me up. I know that Ron Paul (R-Texas) supports this proposal. This is very encouraging to me.

I wonder how many violent offenders are on the streets because the prisons are too full of weed vendors.

From the article:

17. lucky8

Gold Member

18. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:

I'll acknowledge your experiences if you acknowledge mine. NO ONE denies that the war on drugs has an ulterior motive.

So a crime with no victims has become a means of "getting money". To what crowd does enforcing fees and fines hurt the most?

I know, I'm looking forward to the good stuff, I was just noting that the entire industry wouldn't be based on customer satisfaction, NO product is like that.

Anyone who calls America out for its bullshit and doesn't blindly orgasm every 4th of July is deemed "hating it". I hate few people, few things, and I hate NO places cuz there's always good with the bad. Acknowledging the bad shouldn't be discouraged, especially since it's balanced with me.

19. lucky8

Gold Member

20. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:

Will you marry me?

Again, trust me, there are some ulterior motives at work. And I agree about stoners, I always joke that I've never heard of a pothead pawning his gramma's dvd player for a dimebag.

You really think I'm makin' this up don't u? I'm not saying the entire government is anti-poverty, but there are some questionable practices. And isn't it arguable that punishment that only affects people with less money are a bit one-sided? What lesson is learned when a millionaire gets a tap on the wrist and a $50 fine. They tip more than that at Olive Garden.

To give you an idea of what I'm saying, how do you feel about Paris Hilton, the other rich bitch, and the Kardashian girl being jailed for less time than it usually takes just to get booked? I spent more time being booked than all 3 of them, and all 3 were DUI offenses.

Draft saved Draft deleted