Dee is going on a road trip!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Dear everyone,

Happy Independence Day.

As some of you may know, I am moving to Tucson this summer to pursue a Ph.D. program at the University of Arizona. I loved hanging out with my family, but now I'm ready to make that big drive across the country and get settled into a new life. I'm stoked!

I'm hitting the road on the 8th and I'm due in Tucson on the 15th. I have a week to enjoy the journey.

I thought I would do a thread about my travels on the way there. It would give me something constructive to do while time allows for it.

I'm taking I-65 west from my parents' house to St. Louis for my first stop. I'm visiting a friend there. After that, I will be continuing westward on I-44 toward Oklahoma City to visit another friend. Then, it's I-40 west into Albuquerque, then I-25 south for a bit and then hitting I-10 into Tucson. This latter part of the trip is a little more open-ended. I'll probably do an overnight stop in Albuquerque and then drive out the rest.

Anyway, rough sketch there. So, if you're along the way, I don't mind stopping in to say hello. Some food, a beer. If anything's going on in your city that sounds fun, I'm game. If interested, respond here or send me a private message.

I'll keep this thread open as I'm on the road. While I have Internet access at my friends' houses, I'll have to get creative otherwise, so if we can set some stuff up a day or two in advance, that would be great. Also, it's probably better to try to meet with members who aren't too far away from the Interstates, just so that I can stay on course.

Thanks,
D

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Drive safely-or are you hitchhiking?

At any rate have a safe and enjoyable journey to your next destination, be sure to take pictures-

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wish you good luck on your trip, and I hope you have fun.

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That sounds like such a good time! I wish Seattle were on the way but I guess its kinda far north, eh? :tongue:
Have a safe and fun trip!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dear everyone,

Happy Independence Day.
<...>
I'm taking I-65 west from my parents' house to St. Louis for my first stop. I'm visiting a friend there. After that, I will be continuing westward on I-44 toward Oklahoma City to visit another friend. Then, it's I-40 west into Albuquerque, then I-25 south for a bit and then hitting I-10 into Tucson. This latter part of the trip is a little more open-ended. I'll probably do an overnight stop in Albuquerque and then drive out the rest.

Anyway, rough sketch there. So, if you're along the way, I don't mind stopping in to say hello. Some food, a beer. If anything's going on in your city that sounds fun, I'm game. If interested, respond here or send me a private message.
<...>
Thanks,
D
Congrats, D. I haven't spent a lot of time in Tucson, but what I've seen is great. If you are an outdoorsy-type at all, there's lots to see and do in the area.

My one suggestion for your travel itinerary would be taking I-40 from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, then south, instead of going south from ABQ. It's much more scenic that way, and not a whole lot of distance difference. There's not much of anything between ABQ and Las Cruces, and not much of anything between Las Cruces and Tucson, except lots of unremarkable desert. Heading toward Flagstaff, on the other hand, takes you out of the Albuquerque basin into the high desert, and you stay in the high desert down through Phoenix and into Tucson. Flagstaff is beautiful, but I don't think there's much to recommend for visiting there, except as part of your travel plans. But it's better than Truth or Consequences!:biggrin1:

Have another look at your map, and tell me what you think of that suggestion...

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
That sounds like such a good time! I wish Seattle were on the way but I guess its kinda far north, eh? :tongue:
Have a safe and fun trip!

Heh heh, your detour is definitely tempting, SS.

Flagstaff is beautiful, but I don't think there's much to recommend for visiting there, except as part of your travel plans. But it's better than Truth or Consequences!:biggrin1:

Ha! I saw that city on the map too! It's almost worth a visit just to take a picture of a road sign.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dear everyone,

Happy Independence Day.

As some of you may know, I am moving to Tucson this summer to pursue a Ph.D. program at the University of Arizona.
D

I hope you are not gonna make us call you Dr. DeeBlackthorne. :wink::biggrin1:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dee,

Too bad Oakland isn't on your way to Tucson.

Anyway, I'm so glad you're following your dreams. Have fun with that week and many blessings on your journey...

Love,
Simcha

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hey, LPSGers. I just sat down with an atlas and traced out a rough itinerary for my trip. I have three stops to make along the way. The first is in St. Louis. The second and third are within an hour of Oklahoma City.

These are some of the major cities I will pass through:

Tuesday, July 8:
Louisville, KY
Evansville, IN

Wednesday, July 9:
St. Louis, MO

Saturday, July 12:
Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Norman, OK

Sunday, July 13:
Lawton, OK

Monday, July 14:
Amarillo, TX
Tucumcari, NM
Albuquerque, NM
Flagstaff, AZ

Tuesday, July 15:
Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, AZ

I'm committed to be in Norman and Lawton on the 12th and 13th, and on Tucson on the afternoon of the 15th. I can play times on the other days. If I'm close let's grab a beer or some food, alright?