Dee is going on a road trip!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hey everyone,

I'm heading to St. Louis in a few hours. I'll do my best to take photos, but don't expect too much. Cell phone camera. :tongue: Thank you for the warm well-wishing. I'll be safe and careful. I will have periodic Internet access while I'm on the road, so I'll do my best to update here. I have also sent some PMs to different LPSGers in the St. Louis area, so I may have some stories to share.

Thanks!
-- Dee

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Dee,

Best wishes on a safe trip out to Tuscon!

I will be visiting U of A later this week - July 11-July16. I will be part of the faculty with a graduate recruiting program there this year... Maybe we can get together, depending on your schedule and your availability...

B

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's HOT in Tuscon. Yikes... remember to always carry a gallon of water in your car just in case. They have a fantastic Sugaro Cactus reserve/park just north of town. Beautiful.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I will be visiting U of A later this week - July 11-July16. I will be part of the faculty with a graduate recruiting program there this year... Maybe we can get together, depending on your schedule and your availability...

B

Cool. I'm getting into my apartment on the 15th. I could probably grab some food with you that evening once I get some things down.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hello. It's my last night in St. Louis. Weather permitting, my friends and I are supposed to celebrate a rendition of the beheadings of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette for the local Bastille festivities. Afterwards, we might do a meal -- still full from lunch here -- and then drinking. I can't get too crazy tonight (despite what they'll say) because I need to leave early tomorrow morning. My next stop is Norman, OK to visit a friend doing his Ph.D. at OU. I'm staying a night there and another night in nearby Lawton before continuing out west. Norman is approximately seven and a half hours away.

The one drawback to having a cell phone camera is that you can't really get good photos unless you're standing still. Believe me. It's hard to drive a coupe car and aim meaningfully at state signs. So, here's a photo taken at a neighborhood coffee shop that makes excellent gyros. I sat outside with some food, a Mountain Dew, and a book about how advertising and media effect other forms of communication.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to meet any LPSGers while I was here. I solicited a couple of responses and didn't hear anything back. :dunno: Oh well. I'm not want for trying.

I hope that the weather holds up during the next leg of my trip. Thunderstorms have been rolling through the area. I got caught in them a few days ago, and this local front seems to be moving past me, so I should be okay.

I'll check in sometime in the next few days.

-- Dee

Attachments

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
hahahaha.

Good morning. Coming to you live from Norman, OK. My friend Sean is working on his Ph.D. at OU. The last time I came out here was maybe, three and a half, four years ago to spend some time during Christmas Break. I wanted to go out to a couple hangout spots last night, but I was way too tired from being on the road all day plus not getting enough sleep plus drinking way too much the night before.

Honestly? I didn't want to like the movie "Juno," but it pleasantly surprised me. I think once you get past some of the crap dialogue and pacing, you really enjoy how she gives up her baby to a mother who truly believed (and acted like) she was meant to raise a kid. Don't get me wrong. I'm not ga-ga over the flick. I just thought it was OK. :cool:

I think we're gonna run around town today. I want some soup from Olive Garden, and I wouldn't mind picking up a good book somewhere. I figure if I'm going to school in a few weeks that I need to stimulate my brain.

Thank you all for the wellwishery. This is actually kinda fun. I've been west before, but not like just me and my car and my things driving along. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the toll system in Oklahoma. Basically, if you're on I-44 West at any point in the state, you've got to pay up. At least toll booth ladies are nice, though. I'll take what I can get.

Oh yeah! And... a big harumph! to that one gas station at whichamacallit -- there's a rest area about three-quarters between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Sign says "last services" and I'm thinking, shit, I should fill the tank while I'm here. And drink some coffee. :eek: Wouldn't'cha know that there was another station about 20 miles down the road? Liiiiiars!

Yesterday's fuel efficiency averages:
Louisville, KY to St. Louis, MO: 35.4 mpg
St. Louis, MO to Norman, OK: 39.1 mpg (new record!)