Dee is going on a road trip!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, have you seen any Armadillo by the road yet? That really tripped me out the last time I was in Oklahoma. Also I will let you slide about Juno. LOL! Enjoy your trip! I still have to find those addresses for you. :smile:

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm on the phone with Dee now, he's just had to pay two tolls within a few minutes of each other. He said that he hasn't seen any armadillos on the side of the road.

He's driving on I-44 heading toward Lawton, OK. I'm getting the live narration and I'm reading him some of the last couple of posts in this thread.

He said that the scenery looks nicer than the last time he was there, this time Dee says everything is nice and green--last time it was really brown. He said that where he is now, gas is about $3.80 a gallon.

Dee thinks that he'll be out of touch until he gets to Tucson because he's not sure about what he'll have for an internet connection until he gets to Arizona.

Dee said that if anyone wants to get in contact with him, just send me a PM and I will relay messages via telephone. He's craving Olive Garden and he still hasn't had the chance to eat there yet, but he's hellbent on having it before Tucson. LOL

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mmmm! Olive Garden!:biggrin1:

As a general rule I'm not a fan of chain restaurants, but I've had some good experiences at Olive Garden. I don't know if they still have it on the menu, but years ago they had a parmesan crusted chicken that was really good. I liked it enough to re-invent it to cook at home. I also like it that they offer grated cheese and black pepper when serving the salad.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I like the grilled pork filletino there. For a chain, it's pretty good, but I'd rather support the small independent restauranteur. The service is more personalized, the food is more creative, the atmosphere usually a little better. Not that there's anything wrong with chains, but they are so predictable.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like the grilled pork filletino there. For a chain, it's pretty good, but I'd rather support the small independent restauranteur. The service is more personalized, the food is more creative, the atmosphere usually a little better. Not that there's anything wrong with chains, but they are so predictable.

Agreed, but sometimes predictable is nice. When travelling I generally try to explore the local, independent restaurants, but I've probably had nearly as many disappointing meals as good ones. Sometimes, especially if you're tired or stressed, you want to go somewhere where you know what you're going to get, something familiar and comforting. Maybe that's how Dee is feeling now.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Although I've been thinking well-wishes to Dee ever since I noticed this thread a few days ago, I just realized that I didn't actually say anything. (Sometimes I forget that people don't know I'm thinking fondly of them.) Although I haven't been out there is a couple of years, I have a certain fondness for Arizona since my client is there and I deal regularly with the universities. I really liked Tucson the one time I visited, and U of A seems like a good place; I hope Dee will be happy and successful in his program there. I'm also a bit jealous that he's taking the plunge and pursuing his doctorate. I was once headed in that direction, but changed my mind. It was probably the right decision for me, but I'm still a bit disappointed that I didn't pursue my academic goals.

I have strange urge to go into town, walk around campus, and try to remember what it felt like to be a student.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hey everyone.

I'm in Flagstaff right now, and I'm beat. I put in 12 hours of road time. I'm nasty and sweaty and I feel pretty gross. I'm just proud that I stuck to the road and kept on truckin'. I have to say, I saw some pretty nice scenery along the way. Like Monty said earlier, the midwest (and now the southwest) are a bit more green than I would have expected. The neat thing in the Albuquerque area is that all of their overpasses feature adobe-inspired artiforms, and I passed some towns that were neatly cut into the rock layers flanking the highways.

Still good on gas mileage.

Lawton, OK to Clarendon, TX: 35.0 mpg
Clarendon, TX to Laguna, NM: 38.4 mpg

I have a decent travel day tomorrow. I'm coming up on I-17, and I'm just taking it south through Phoenix into Tucson. My mom told me that Phoenix had some flooded water from the rainstorms the past couple of days, but I imagine that all the heat and dryness will recede those waters pretty quickly. And it's not like I'm going in the city. Worse to worse, I'm sure there are detours.

Olive Garden:
Tuscan Soup
Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara (pretty good!)
Black Tie Mousse Cake

I'm a happy if not tired and stinky boy. :)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good for you, Dee!

You are really doing it! I remember just a few years ago you were wondering if you would ever get to this point! We are so proud of you. As for the sweat, Funkiness is something all of us release! :biggrin1:

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Dee called me earlier, while I was in a meeting, so I couldn't answer. He was almost to his new apartment. He had stopped and already changed his cellphone number.

While I was typing this, he called me back. He just got his car insurance changed over and it dropped by $20 a month. His landlord is doing a few last minute things in his apartment, so he can't move his stuff in yet--he's got to wait till a little later this afternoon.

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Dammit I need a road trip and have always wanted to see AZ! and DeeB:biggrin1:

So glad you're there and getting settled, Dee.

Is it hot? or hawt?:tongue:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Ha ha. Just hot. It kinda takes you aback for the first couple of days. In any case, I can probably scrap everything out of my wardrobe except shorts and lighter colored t-shirts. It has been cooler because of the rain activity, but there were a few nights that it was still well above 85 degrees at nighttime.