Dee's in Berkeley!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Drove up the coast yesterday into Berkeley. Left San Diego around nine in the morning, snaked around Los Angeles, and stayed on the 101 until it hit the 1. I'm pretty sure the 1 is the Pacific Coast Highway, but don't quote me on that. I texted DJG to let him know I was thinking about him on the way up. Anywho, the PCH made this trip very much a scenic drive, but it was absolutely beautiful! Many, many panoramic views overlooking a cliff extending out into the ocean, and the requisite tons of tourists parked at the vista points. One girl balancing (poorly) on a rock kinda scared me and my friend, but we didn't think she would fall.

We stopped twice -- once south of Pismo Beach to eat some of the best fish 'n chips I've ever had, and another time at Nefithes, the highest point on the highway. We stopped in to piss at the restaurant, and talked to four girls (who could have passed off for models) who requested that we take some photos of them on the terrace. They took three pictures of us in return. They also mentioned that actress Heather Graham had been in the building, but they had just missed her. Oh, shucks.

Traffic wasn't too bad either. We were snagged a bit in Oakland. There was a game last night that had backed up the freeway a few miles, but we broke through. Landed in Berkeley around 8:00 -- our trip including stops reached 11 hours. Night life was a little disappointing. Even the terrific New York style pizza couldn't compensate for three bars packed with loud, smarmy undergraduates. Apparently, one fraternity rented out the basement floor of one ill-recommended bar. We had a beer at each place before walking back.

Our friend joked with us about the seriousness of jaywalking tickets, despite a group of undergradutes stumbling drunkenly up the hill beside us. Boxed sake. Who knew?

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dee, um, you are in my neck of the woods!!!

Yes, the "student" area of Berkeley drives me nuts. I don't like it. Telegraph Ave. can be amusing if only for it's "retro" constantly caught in a time warp 60's ways. North Berkeley (Solano Avenue) is where the rich white snobby hippies hang who look down their nose at the underclass of Berkeley who can't afford to buy organic, drive a Prius, and recycle their nose hairs. West Berkeley is a hidden gem. It's industrial and blue collar residential. I wouldn't recommend South Berkeley unless you enjoy dodging bullets as a way of forcing you to exercise.

You should come to Lake Merritt in Oakland. It's a much friendlier atmosphere. Yes, yes, yes, the Grand/Lakeshore side up by the Grand Lake Theater is quite yuppie. But, there are all kinds of yuppies there and they tend to be a happy lot. The Lake itself is a beautiful oasis in the midst of our city. It's our nation's first wildlife refuge. It's known for the amazing variety of birds that call it home or camp there on their migration paths.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the area. Take some time to get up into the East Bay Hills too. There are some very nice parks up there.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oakland!

I had a text msg 2 weeks ago from a naked guy in Oakland inviting me to a party!
I didn't know where Oakland was then! :rolleyes:

Best wrong number I've ever had! :biggrin1:

Have fun in SF Dee!
Gotta be good on saturday night!!! :wink:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh, yes, and the night life is much better over in the City. Do cross the bridge into San Francisco if you are looking for clubs. The East Bay is more or less a bedroom community. It's kind of quasi-urban-suburban. San Francisco has a character all its own.