"Definately" Annoying...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by phillyboy8x6, Jan 18, 2007.

1. phillyboy8x6

phillyboy8x6 New Member

I am just curious...

I know the internet is not where you go for proper grammar, spelling, etc. & I am definitely not a "grammar nazi", but where did the misspelling of the just-used term (i.e. "definately") come from and how did it become so prevelant?

Don't believe me? Take a moment to search the LPSG forums for the (incorrectly spelled) term "definately".

I guess my personal theory is that it is just evidence of the power of the internet itself. Perhaps "definitely" is one of those terms that people use all the time in conversation ("like", "totally") but rarely (pre-internet) would have occasion to use in written form. Now that everyone uses the term in email, chat, blog, postings, etc. the common misspelling is mimicked to the point of becoming the accepted form...just a thought.

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

3. JustAsking

Gold Member

that's "teh stupid"

4. mindseye

Gold Member

The misspelling irks me, though I find it understandable. "--ately" is used far more often than "--itely" in words like "approximately", "(un)fortunately", and "immediately". The misspelling "definately" strikes me as a reasonable, though wrong, effort to generalize from other examples.

Contrast this with misspelling "lose" as "loose" (e.g., "I'm loosing my mind!"). There's only a single legitimate example of the "s" in "--oose" being pronounced with a 'z' sound; that's "choose". In words like "goose" and "noose" (and the correctly-spelled "loose"!), the "s" is pronounced as a hard "s". Generalizing from only one example strikes me as an unreasonable effort, and so I find that misspelling more objectionable than "definately".

Still, it'd be nice if people would just freakin' learn to spell.

5. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I think what's even more annoying is the widespread use of "alot."

I'm not a grammar Nazi either, but geez...

6. SeeDickRun

SeeDickRun New Member

Finally, a group of people who are bothered by the use of poor grammar, poor spelling, and just plain poor English.

I was schooled in an era when we were taught if you can pronounce a word correctly and understood spelling rules, you could write a word correctly. Oh yeah, and you had to learn penmanship as well.

Of course, you also had to know how to diagram a sentence, and look words up in the dictionary. And, by GOD, you better have fun doing it all too, or the grade school teacher wouldn't let you go out on the playground for play period, which included such politically incorrect games as dogdeball, baseball, basketball, etc. Essentially any kind of game that let someone choose team members, lest there be a person who was picked last as a team member.

But then, I ramble and rant...... a privilege that comes with advancing age.

7. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

it still amazes me how often people misuse "your" and "you're"...or "they're" "there" "their"

take half a second, and say "you are" or "they are", and see if it fits...

8. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

More than likely this springs from the fact that in English there's really no correct way to pronounce vowels and so which ones we use in words is often near arbitrary, particularly vowels commonly reduced to schwas, as the penultimate vowel sound in "definitely" usually is in common usage.

9. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Finally? People pissing and moaning about "poor" spelling and grammar on the internet is probably just as common as "definately."

10. trufitjock

trufitjock Member

Albums:
    funny.. but aweful... and how many of us are GUILTY......

11. Matthew

Gold Member

I propose a law that you have to be able to spell 'masturbate' before you can do it.

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

There is at least one other word that's commonly misspelled but I can't remember it right now.

13. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Good catch. and the same thing I said about definately applies to the penultimate schwa here, too.

14. Spoogesicle

Spoogesicle New Member

Under a bridge...The Bridge of Sighs (or Size?)
    I came across a spelling of the word in question that bothered me even more: defin8ly! I wanted to open a vein over that one.

And then there's prolly. . .

15. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Prolly is prolly closer to how most people actually say it. Like "gonna," accepted vocabulary in comic books. In that respect, it's actually intelligent transcription.

The substitution of numbers in place of sounds or similar-looking letters does seem a bit queer, though. Even if it doesn't exactly warrant the rupturing of arteries.

16. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

jewlery
    jewelry

17. JustAsking

Gold Member

Oops.

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

... you are yellow ...

This is entirely Jeff Black's fault.

Selfish, isn't it?:cool:

19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I wanted to include this one, but I think he was joeking.

20. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

I've sacrificed many red pens to circling the usual assaults on standardized spelling (you're & your, it's & its, they're, there, & their, alot, loose & lose, definately & defiantly for definitely [I blame this one on spell check], of for have, etc. [or, more commonly, ect.], and I can understand the persistence of these spellings because they approximate or can't be distinguished by pronunication. The widespread use of "taken for granite" & "prolly" indicate lack of elocution, IMO, however. It's the sloppy articulation that led to listeners singing "Secret Asian Man" instead of "Secret Agent Man." Sinatra is rolling in his grave.

Draft saved Draft deleted