Definition of "hooking up"?

fak_et

Experimental Member
Media
It seems a common term nowadays for people to say "we hooked up" or "did you hook up?"

It seems it is used from reference as anything from making out to intercourse.

I say no when asked if i hooked up and only made out but it seems like others would say yes.

So I looked this up on urbandictionary and it said that it is used to exaggerate or to understate what happened.

What does it mean? would making out be considered hooking up or not?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You crazy kids! :biggrin1: I have no idea what jazzy, new lingo y'all are using these days. That said, I thought 'hooking up' meant sex. I would never think hooking up was just making out, that makes no sense. :confused:

It seems a common term nowadays for people to say "we hooked up" or "did you hook up?"

It seems it is used from reference as anything from making out to intercourse.

I say no when asked if i hooked up and only made out but it seems like others would say yes.

So I looked this up on urbandictionary and it said that it is used to exaggerate or to understate what happened.

What does it mean? would making out be considered hooking up or not?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I understood it as meeting, sometimes prearranged, sometimes on the spur of the moment, just for sex with no intention of seeing one another again, I noticed NJ differentiated it in another thread from a one night stand and I was a little unsure why she considered it different - I do consider it different myself but I'm not sure if it's for the same reasons as NJ - while it's happening you're not sure if a one night stand is going to be a one night stand, while I think with a hook up you are.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's an interesting question, and I think people will have different interpretations of it. I think "hooking up" is fairly new expression or just used more than it was before. When I was younger, people would say they had a "one night stand", which meant sex. If they were just kissing someone, they wouldn't say they had a one night stand.

I would say that making out is not hooking up, but maybe some people will call it that. I would consider hooking up to mean having any kind of sex, but I don't consider kissing to be sex. I'm not sure why that dictionary would refer to it as "exaggerate" or "understate"--those two words are opposites.

But maybe that's the point. Someone may have just made out with someone, but they will tell their friends they "hooked up", leading the friends to believe that something more happened. You can use that one word to "exaggerate" or "understate". :confused:

Is urban dictionary usually right about these things? I'm not familiar with it.

I would never think hooking up was just making out, that makes no sense. :confused:

Making out and necking meant kissing but no touching. Although, sometimes those hands would go where they didn't belong. :tongue::eek:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As with many terms to my great irritation this is yet another term that has been appropriated and given a new meaning. In my mom's day and before and for quite some time afterwards it merely meant getting together meeting and a prearranged destination and going from there. There was NO sex involved. Now oldsters have to be careful about using this time tested phrase for fear of hearing a snicker from the youngsters.

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I understood it as meeting, sometimes prearranged, sometimes on the spur of the moment, just for sex with no intention of seeing one another again, I noticed NJ differentiated it in another thread from a one night stand and I was a little unsure why she considered it different - I do consider it different myself but I'm not sure if it's for the same reasons as NJ - while it's happening you're not sure if a one night stand is going to be a one night stand, while I think with a hook up you are.

A one night stand usually involves alcohol.
:)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Really? Hmm, maybe it means different things in different countries. I have always known going into it that a one night stand was just that. :cool: Maybe I am too pragmatic. :confused:

A one night stand usually involves alcohol. :)
This is true.

Hookup: I got the hookup!
Fucking, sucking or licking a male or female for a limited time in which neither of you will ever contact one another after such an event.
Okay, so then it is a synonym for one night stand.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I took it to mean that you got a phone number from someone you just met.
Another word that gets me is "fancy".
I had a Welsh manager at my last job who said he "fancied" me!
What the f#ck does that mean?

tgw

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To me, "hook up" is either VERY sexual or not sexual at all.

With a girl, hook up is sex... "I hooked up with this hot girl last night."

With a friend, hook up is just "meet up" "hang out" ... "Next time you come to town, let's hook up."

Interesting point.