Deleting a file help.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just recently I took my old laptop in to finally get it repair, ''a new keyboard was installed''.
After returning home with it, I went to update my Kaspersky, in doing so it says that a
version of Ad-Ware is installed and will have to be deleted before it can completely be installed.
Simple enough you think. Ha!
OK, here the problem. I went to the control panel > add or remove programs > Ad - Ware.
Click remove and this pops up. see1pic.
I have try the alternate paths given nothing has worked.
I have also tried to reload the Ad-Ware hoping it would locate the original version all ready installed and attacked to it, so it could then be deleted. In doing so I receive this. see 2pic. After clicking yes to remove I receive this see 3pic.

OK, I have worked on this problem all day today. I give up. :aargh4:

If any of you have any ideas on what to do I would appreciate your help.

Oh, and I have used search to locate the file, it says its unable to locate it. WTF?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Neither an computer geek nor an expert of any kind here, but...
A) Have You made sure Ad-Aware is shut down before trying to uninstall? Sometimes uninstalls don't work when a software is actually running.
B) Have You tried uninstalling from the Lavasoft folder in Your start menu (rather from Windows' Add/Remove Programs)? Ad-Aware has it's own unstall. Perhaps that'll net better results (?)

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Try using Revo uninstaller(free). Or try a manual uninstall;

1. Click on "my computer" and navigate to your Lavasoft Ad-Aware folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware \

2. Run the file unregaaw.exe

3. Delete the entire ad-aware folder

4. Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware link in your start menu (if present)

5. Delete the Ad-Aware icon(s) from your desktop(if present)

6. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Lavasoft and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.

7. Empty your trash bin

8. Reboot.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Even if it is not listed in add remove programs the file itself is still on your computer. Rather than use add remove go to your software programs on your computer and find it and remove it.

Last edited:

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Neither an computer geek nor an expert of any kind here, but...
A) Have You made sure Ad-Aware is shut down before trying to uninstall? As far as I can tell its not running, nor has it run or been active for over 2 years.
Sometimes uninstalls don't work when a software is actually running.
B) Have You tried uninstalling from the Lavasoft folder in Your start menu (rather from Windows' Add/Remove Programs)? If there a Lavasoft folder in my start menu I am blind, I have searched for it, if its there its under a different name.Ad-Aware has it's own unstall. Yes I understand it does. Perhaps that'll net better results (?)

Try using Revo uninstaller(free). Or try a manual uninstall;

1. Click on "my computer" and navigate to your Lavasoft Ad-Aware folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware \ This is my problem there isn't a folder to be found, I have looked for hours.

2. Run the file unregaaw.exe I did type this in on an outside chance, I was given an error message.

3. Delete the entire ad-aware folder

4. Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware link in your start menu (if present)

5. Delete the Ad-Aware icon(s) from your desktop(if present)

6. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Lavasoft and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.

7. Empty your trash bin

8. Reboot.

Even if it is not listed in add remove programs the file itself is still on your computer. Rather than use add remove go to your software programs on your computer and find it and remove it.
I have looked throughout my software programs listed on my computer, using not only Lavasoft name but the file size as a references too, without any luck.

If you have any more ideas please reply, I'm open to trying anything even voodoo. :rolleyes:

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You could give this process from the Lavasoft site a try - Uninstall Guide for Ad-Aware - Lavasoft Support Forums - though it might cover what you have already attempted. Yes this was tried and tried again.

One key thing is to ensure you run the install as Administrator (right-click on it and choose that option) I did and I was rejected.

Alternatively, there is this - Useful Free Tools - Lavasoft Support Forums - steps 1, 2 & 4 seem worth having a try if all else fails. I use CCleaner currently.

Good luck. I'm accepting any good luck that anyone offering and still seeking any other ideas.

I'm getting ready to throw it out the window. :eek:

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
What do you mean 'rejected' ? It wouldn't run the program, running it came up with the same error or you were prevented from using 'run as Administrator' (or some other situation) ?

Each of the tools in the second link do different things. If you haven't already tried them, I'd still try steps 1 & 2 as they will remove the program, whereas CCleaner only removes references to it in the registry etc.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What do you mean 'rejected' ? It wouldn't run the program, running it came up with the same error or you were prevented from using 'run as Administrator' (or some other situation) ? Sorry I was unclear, but it came up with the same error message.

Each of the tools in the second link do different things. If you haven't already tried them, I'd still try steps 1 & 2 as they will remove the program, whereas CCleaner only removes references to it in the registry etc. When I responded I had tried both 3 & 4, I was waiting until I did a bit of reading on 1 & 2 before trying them. Being unsure of 2 I decided to go with 1 first. WOO HOO it worked. :banana: :hail:

A big thanks to each and everyone who responded to my query.