Dell Laptop Battery Recall

hottxboi16

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I was affected and am getting a new battery so i just thought id share the knowledge with you guys incase anyone didnt know ^_^ If you have one of the laptops below, then click the link and follow the

Potentially affected batteries were sold with the following models of Dell notebook computers or separately as secondary batteries:
  • Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810
  • Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705
  • Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90
  • XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

noface60

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my inspiron 9300 that I am typing on right now is affected. I'd like to send it in but dell might keep my battery forever. And its called a notebook for its PORTABILITY. So it would suck to have to "run to my nearest wall outlet" to have to use my notebook. So anybody have any estimates on how long you think dell might take to send a better battery once u send in the bad one? *hopes my computer doesn't explode (into flames) as I type*

hottxboi16

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
actually they advise you dont use the affected battery. You just call in and confirm your battery is affected and they will send you a new battery and once you get the new battery then you send in your old battery. SO if youd like you can still continue to use the old battery

and secondly...laptop, notebook...same flippn thing..seriously lets not be overly analytical of dumb things

thirdly

"
Fire Hazard Prompts Gigantic Dell Laptop Battery Recall

Company says 4.1 million batteries--affecting nearly all Dell notebook lines--are on the recall list."

Id hardly say 4.1million batteries is a small percentage o_O

noface60 said:
my inspiron 9300 that I am typing on right now is affected. I'd like to send it in but dell might keep my battery forever. And its called a notebook for its PORTABILITY. So it would suck to have to "run to my nearest wall outlet" to have to use my notebook. So anybody have any estimates on how long you think dell might take to send a better battery once u send in the bad one? *hopes my computer doesn't explode (into flames) as I type*

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
noface60 said:

Why don't you call Dell, explain your situation, purchase a new battery, hold on to the one you have until the new one arrives, then when it does send in your old one and have them credit back your card when they get it?

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
hottxboi16 said:
Id hardly say 4.1million batteries is a small percentage

I'm just relating my experience here at the office.

I'm responsible for the health and well being of 11 notebooks :)wink: Heather) here at the office. All of them are either Inspirons or Latitudes of the models listed. Not a single one had bad batteries as shown on the table.

Our corporate hq has about 40 laptops (whoops, reverted to oldspeak, senility showing) and of those they found only 3 batteries they need to exchange.

So while I don't have access to Dell's sales figures, if they say sold 20 million of these units worldwide (at 2 batteries each) and 4.1 batteries were ied's :tongue:, it would work out to be right around 10%.

Expando1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We've been advised by the IT Department at work to run our laptops on AC power only until Dell sends the replacement batteries.

Now personally, I bought a Dell laptop in 2004 and two batteries overheated within one month...so I reckon Dell knew of this problem long before they finally issued the recall, and did so only because they got caught between a rock and a hard place when someone actually video taped the darn laptop erupting into flames. Btw, I returned my laptop after the second battery overheated.

noface60

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hottxboi16 said:
actually they advise you dont use the affected battery. You just call in and confirm your battery is affected and they will send you a new battery and once you get the new battery then you send in your old battery. SO if youd like you can still continue to use the old battery

Shelby said:
Why don't you call Dell, explain your situation, purchase a new battery, hold on to the one you have until the new one arrives, then when it does send in your old one and have them credit back your card when they get it?

Gee, Thanks. You guys are geniuses. I would have never thought of that. :smile:

hottxboi16

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Shelby said:
So while I don't have access to Dell's sales figures, if they say sold 20 million of these units worldwide (at 2 batteries each) and 4.1 batteries were ied's :tongue:, it would work out to be right around 10%.

Why would you assusme 2 batteries each? I only got the battery the laptop came with....secondly id still consider 10% to be a large amount of corrupted batteries x.x but i suppose thats just my opinion

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
We always get two per. Just corp. policy. So we (most) always have a backup when needed. I just assumed (silly me).

Oh and you're right, from a business pov 10% is huge. I bet Dell (and even moreso Sony) is shitting its pants over the whole thing. It's just that at my company, after the big media scare, I was expecting all of our units to be compromised and was pleasantly surprised when they weren't.

In your case it was 100% so I totally appreciate how different it seems to you.

hottxboi16

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
YAY we all get to call Habeeb at Dell and try to explain to him what a battery is.

On the contrary..when i called i got a pleasant young women who spoke perfect english and was able to interact with and make jokes and such...probably one of the most delightful conversations ive had with an assitance operator

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hottxboi16 said:
On the contrary..when i called i got a pleasant young women who spoke perfect english and was able to interact with and make jokes and such...probably one of the most delightful conversations ive had with an assitance operator

Wow, Write that on the calendar...thats super rare.

Mabee they temporaraly switched services over to US operations during the recall, as im sure many americans would quickly get pissed off having to talk to Habeeb, Hasheesh, and Muhommed "but you can call me Wally"

I've Yet to talk with a Dell tech that has even a clue what im talking about.

The first thing I do when I set up new Dell's are to Format the Hard drive and do a clean install.
Get rid of all that trial crap on them, and install fresh drivers for everything.
C

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Rikter8 said:
Mabee they temporaraly switched services over to US operations during the recall, as im sure many americans would quickly get pissed off having to talk to Habeeb, Hasheesh, and Muhommed "but you can call me Wally"
Dell has reduced their overseas tech support three years ago. :rolleyes: Depending on what system issues you're having, you may be patched through to India though. The likelihood isn't high though.

Rikter8 said:
I've Yet to talk with a Dell tech that has even a clue what im talking about.
Don't be a dick. I know over ten people who work at Dell HQ, half in GTS.:rolleyes: