Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Long overdue:

Dell sued for misleading customers - vnunet.com

Closer to home, for me:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2157239/misleading-dell-advert-banned

I've long felt Dell's marketing, at least in the UK was a model of opacity and deception and won't be surprised to see a similar action to the one in the US over here.

I've once or twice tried to 'buy' items advertised at the prices advertised, it's often all but impossible. So, you want cheap 'n' cheerful get it while you can. Probably best to avoid that extended warranty though!:rolleyes:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The links don't work. I got my pc from Dell and it was the cheapest one at the time. I didn't need one with high specs just one that was adequate to ebay and chat and it cost around £270.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The links don't work. I got my pc from Dell and it was the cheapest one at the time. I didn't need one with high specs just one that was adequate to ebay and chat and it cost around £270.

Links work for me.
Dell used to have a good reputation for its service, it seems to me.
I've known writers who have used Dell professionally, paid for a good service contract, and been quite satisfied by how Dell delivered on it.
I wonder if the whole company slipped during the period in which Michael Dell was not actively at the helm.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

If you go to UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com and search for "Dell Sued" you'll find them OK. I just did that so I know they work. Bit slow though.

Dell kit is OK, some of their servers are actually pretty good and thus good value. No, it's not quality (well not entirely) that bugs me, it's their misleading advertising and shoddy aftersales service.

I know lots of people with Dell kit,and I'd say it's about 80:20 in the dodgy camp - but if yours works for you and you got a good deal, that's great.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cheers that link worked for me. Although I'm pleased with my computer I did bugger it up, I can't remember the exact details of what I did but Dell advised me over the phone to take the side off which would have invalidated the guarantee as pointed out in the 'Dell sued' article in the link.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Links work for me.
Dell used to have a good reputation for its service, it seems to me.
I've known writers who have used Dell professionally, paid for a good service contract, and been quite satisfied by how Dell delivered on it.
I wonder if the whole company slipped during the period in which Michael Dell was not actively at the helm.

Glad the links work!

Emphasis on the used to have. My main issue with Dell, and to be fair they're not the only ones, is an assumption that they can mislead customers with questionable advertising, skirt the edges of truth in their sales pitch then all too often fail to deliver at the back end and then not be called to account. You have known folks with good experiences with Dell, as have I, but I've known far more who have felt they received a very raw deal.

Rubi, I'm not on a crusade against Dell, many large organisations are equally guilty. Just the article came in my email and, as I said I've felt this was long coming.