Delta Segregates Bathroom Users Via Class

Should Delta Air Lines Be Allowed To Segregate Bathroom Users

• Yes; Delta should be allowed to set any regulations they want.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yes, but the flight attendants should be allowed to make case-by-case exceptions.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No; this policy should be eliminated.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • If there were enough bathrooms in coach, this wouldn't even be a problem.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mid-Air bathroom emergency on Delta Airlines

A Passenger who allegedly twisted a flight attendant's arm in a bid to use an airline toilet is facing charges. Joao Correa, 42, said he had “a bathroom emergency” onboard a Delta Airlines flight from Honduras to Atlanta. When attempting to access the bathroom, he found it was blocked by a beverage cart. Mr Correa was then told he wasn’t allowed to use the business class toilet, due to Transportation Security Administration policy.

In his desperation Mr Correa ran to the business class bathroom but was blocked by a flight attendant’s arm, and said he was forced to grab it “to keep his balance”. However the flight attendant alleges that Mr Correa grabbed her right arm and twisted it, authorities have reported. Mr Correa was arrested when the plane landed in Atlanta and was charged with interference with a flight crew.

Delta Air Lines has a policy where passengers in one section of the plane (ie: coach) may not use the bathroom in a different section (ie: business class). Should this be permitted?

This is policy on every plane I've ever flown on with multiple classes. This isn't unusual at all. There should be more toilets in coach as coach seat numbers increase but toilet facilities do not. I think the FAA should enact, if they haven't already, a minimum ratio of toilets-to-passengers. The damn drink cars are a menace, and particularly so on a full plane when they can't do the slide-forward/slide-back to accommodate a passengers who needs to step into an empty seat to pass the cart. I think that for the health of the passengers and simple general courtesy, no one who desperately needs a bathroom should be barred from one. What do they want someone to do? Shit themselves and thereby create one horribly embarrassed passenger, many disgusted passengers, a possible health hazard, and a bad reputation as an airline that won't allow someone in poor health the simple dignity of using a toilet? Phenomenally bad PR on the part of Delta which should have issued a statement apologizing for the incidence and announcing a policy of making exceptions for anyone with possible bowel illnesses for the comfort, dignity, and safety of all their passengers.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's quite a normal policy. I think it's been that way on every plane I've ever flown on. Maybe if the attendant saw it was an emergency...then yes, she should have allowed it. It probably would have been in the best interest of everyone, but I think there's nothing wrong with the policy (except in emergencies).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This policy has always been in place; however it has been strictly enforced since 9/11 in an attempt to keep passengers moving forward in the cabin. In terms of security I think it's a good policy. I was sitting in first class on a flight from NY to Tokyo and was standing waiting for the forward bathroom to be free. The flight attendant asked me to return to my seat because one of the pilots was in there and would be coming out and opening the cockpit door in a moment. I'm happy to comply with measures that ensure security and peace of mind.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't see anything wrong with the policy and yes, it seems to be standard across the industry.

Though to be fair, the way this story is reported, it sounds less like an 'emergency' and more like an impatient passenger.

I fly coach all the time and sometimes there's a queue to use the loo, but if someones bursting, they're nearly always allowed to go in next. It's no big deal.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No CCTV on board ... I wonder who's word will take precedence?

Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott released a statement saying flight crews "do everything within the limits of the law to ensure the safety and security of our passengers."

Policies are one thing, rules another. Insensitive and uncomprising enforcement of either is something else, which is what appears to have occured here.

This policy has always been in place; however it has been strictly enforced since 9/11 in an attempt to keep passengers moving forward in the cabin. In terms of security I think it's a good policy.

I fly in different classes (depending various factors) and if the nearest free toilet is forward of me, that's the one I'll use. To suggest that in doing so I present a 'potential security risk' is one of the more bizarre rationales I've heard. Cabin crew have never a word. The same would apply to use of galleys.

But since I seldom fly on sectors governed by FAA regulations, (and unless I have no option never on US carriers) I suppose I've been lucky enough never to fall foul of such an anachronistic policy.

Despite your example, there still seems to be a surreal disjunct between perceived risk and cabin class, despite 9/11. But with airline 'security' largely a sop to public paranoia, and so full of bizarre 'anomalies' I suppose the above incident should be no surprise.

It's not so bad as Ryanair seeking to charge for the use the onboard toilets but ... :cool:

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm still caught up in the recursive American Express/Delta Skymiles trap that started when I was a "corporate slave." I still travel enough that Skymiles make a big difference, but I finally realized I had to opt for the Platinum Card to always get the flights and seat assignments I want. It's a ruse. First year free, then $350 every year thereafter just to "feel special?" So I usually fly on Delta in business class, except when they refuse to let us "special" people use Skymiles to upgrade to business or first class.

I flew back to Nevada from Spain to vote last year on British Airways. They always seem to have some way of getting me to and from their western hub in Phoenix regardless where I might be starting and returning to in the West, and for the same ticket price as if I were starting from Phoenix. But British Airways doesn't fly from the USA to Argentina, and my favorite airline, LAN Chile, did not have any available flights for the dates I need to travel. So, I booked a one-way flight from Nevada to Atlanta and because I make travel plans three to six months in advance Delta usually puts me in business class automatically. Then I booked a the long haul (9 to 10.5 hours, depending on the season and other factors) from Atlanta to Buenos Aires, which is one flight they no longer let us "special" Platinum Card holders use Skymiles to "buy" our way into business class. Nope, they want cash up front for those big leather seats more comfortable than a bassinet with surround sound.

My "preferred coach" ticket would have cost $1,800 plus airport taxes this year. And remember that was the cheapest round trip flight I could get; leaving and returning six months apart. But I could buy it with Skymiles. If I had wanted to fly business class I would have had to cough up more than $5,000. It doesn't matter if you're in business or coach, everyone who staggers off of Flight 110 leaves that flight with kennel cough. But one thing Delta has always done on that Argentina to Atlanta flight is pull one of the doubled business class curtains on one of the aisles back so people in coach have access to five bathrooms instead of four (most 767's have dueling bathrooms in the aft section). The business class people are still made to feel "special" but 10 hours on a non-stop flight is a dumb idea to begin with so the flight attendants on this particular route tend to show more humanity than on domestic Delta flights.

I feel bad for the guy who couldn't get past the beverage cart and was treated so poorly. I also feel for the flight attendants who work their asses off serving the public having to serve drinks, food, and play "duty free" shills when their primary function is to manage public safety and administer medical assistance in case of emergencies. It's degrading to see a woman or man my own age who probably receives half of what she or he made 20 years ago perform duties more suited to a house maid. Their jobs are no longer secure and Delta is more worried about what colors to paint all the equipment they're inheriting with the merger with Northwest than use that same money to reward loyal hard work from their front line employees. And that includes the maintenance and mechanic folks, too. But the passenger had a legitimate need and shouldn't be charged with a felony for trying to make a dash to use the bathroom to avoid shitting his pants.

There have always been separate sets of bathrooms for first/business class and coach/tourist. But does anyone remember the days when the counter agent who checked you in was a counter agent? Now, the counter agents are often the same people who herd everyone on board announcing seating sections and then follow the passengers onto the plane and work as the flight attendants. It's a job I would never want. So, I can understand a flight attendant getting his or her Irish up and displaying what little authority they have left. It's a no win - no win situation.

My only solution for avoiding these sorts of problems has been to fly a European or South American passenger carrier. I doubt there's a more stringent and well-oiled airline when it comes to quality and service than British Airways. But they have a problem with making connecting flights to other countries at the Heathrow hub. Plus, non-US carriers are quite liberal with with wine and alcoholic beverages. I've yet to be charged for a beer or a second, third, or fourth split of wine.

I yearn for the days when Delta was still a southern regional carrier and the options for us folks in the West were Western Airlines (which Delta bought and merged with), Frontier Airlines, or Hughs Air West (fly the BIG banana!). American, Pan Am, TWA, and some exotic companies like Air France or Swiss Air would make appearances at SLC International 3 or 4 times a week. But climbing aboard a Western Airlines flight was always a treat. It didn't matter what time of day, everyone was offered at least one free glass of champagne before the flight crew had to do beverage and food service. Granted, it was the cheapest possible champagne in the world, but it was free and they made everyone feel genuinely welcome.

Fuck Reagan and his cadre of blood suckers for deregulating the airline industry in 1982! (Whoops! Did I just write that out loud?) :cool:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Oh yeah, I forgot: I was sitting in the last row of first class on a New York to LA flight many years ago when an otherwise normal-looking classy 50-something businessman in a suit and tie jumped out of his seat, pulled down his pants then climbed on top of the beverage cart and took a shit in front of all of us. Clearly, something something had come loose inside his head. Five attendants and some big male passengers wrestled him to the aisle floor and a real Air Marshall showed up with handcuffs. I'm sure that guy was not charged with a felony. After all, either he or his company had paid full fare for his first class seat. I often wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Don't make me write more describing the stench and mess the flight attendants had to deal with. They made us all stay in our seats when we landed until LAX authorities arrested him and dragged him away. It was a major shock and a foul-smelling thing to suffer. Contrast the behavior of that coddled business traveler with that of the poor guy in coach who wasn't permitted to use the bathroom. There's a moral in there somewhere.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As one who lost several inches of colon in the aftermath of an automobile accident, I can sympathize with the sense of acute desperation that comes when the need to relieve oneself suddenly arises in flight. There have been several times on long flights when I've come perilously close to soiling myself during lengthy waits for an open restroom.

Its come to the point where I now fast for 24 hours prior to any flight longer than a few hours. I can't risk what might happen were I to be delayed in using a restroom when the need arises.