Democrat Ownership

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Tintagel_Demondong, Nov 2, 2008.

1. D_Tintagel_Demondong

The Electoral Map: Key States - Election Guide 2008 - The New York Times

Barring catastrophe, it seems obvious that Obama/Biden will win the election, so the real question now is: Will they get enough seats for a super majority in Congress? If this happens, as many of you know, the GOP cannot filibuster to stop legislation presented by the Dems. This could drastically accelerate Obama's plans for change.

I'm excited to see what broad and sweeping changes there will be in domestic and foreign policy, the economy, America's reputation, legislation and opportunity.

I'm sure those of you who earn over $250,000 are already buying your plane tickets to Monaco.

2. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    pre 1996 the republicans attempted to change senate rules so democrats could not filibuster. as soon as the dems had a (miniscule, one seat) majority the republicans filibustered every single bill on the floor.

the dems will have at least 58, maybe 59 seats of the 60 required for a filibuster-proof majority and that's still OK because the issue is votes not seats and with intelligent, responsible republicans like Chuck Hagel, Arlen Specter and John Warner as well as independent Bernie Sanders all will be right with the world again.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Our majority is already super!

I think you're asking if we'll end up with 60 seats in the Senate, and I think that's unlikely at this point. 57-58 looks like a safe bet. 59 might be possible if in Minnesota, Barkley voters get cold feet and switch to Franken at the last minute.

For 60 to happen, we'd need to force Saxby Chambliss into a runoff in Georgia, and then win the runoff election. We're getting phenomenal turnout in Georgia right now for Obama, but I'm skeptical that we can repeat that turnout in a runoff election for the less-charismatic Jim Martin.

There's an outside chance (I'd say maybe about 1 in 100) that we could also reach 60 seats by persuading Arlen Specter to take a cabinet position. Specter is 78 years old and has two more years left in his term. Pennsylvania is turning bluer every year: we replaced Ridge/Schweiker with Rendell, then Santorum with Casey, also four House seats flipped from red to blue in 2006. His age and his party will be liabilities in 2010. By taking a cabinet post, he'll have a position in Washington at least through 2012, and Bob Casey would get to nominate his successor.

4. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    And this would not devistate America how? If there was some way that this would happen, America would be a 3rd world country within a year.

Anyway, I have a close relative that works for the RNC, and he told me from the inside that McCain is "going for the win".

I said, 'what do you mean? Of course he would go for the win right?'

He said "No. There is a choice a campaign can make. You can either go for the win, or focus on the house and senate seats. But you can't do both. You see, back when Dole was running, it was determined early on that there was no way he was going to win. So his role, and the role of his whole campaign was to try to help Republicans win house and senate seats. If Dole wen't for the win, and lost, that would have really hurt those other races."

It was determined that McCain had a good enough chance to win to 'go for the win' which, if he fails to do, should theoretically be detrimental to the Republicans' house and senate seats as well.

It was a very interesting insight into a campaign.

5. mindseye

Gold Member

Both Hagel and Warner are retiring and did not run for re-election. John Warner's seat will be replaced by Mark Warner, and Chuck Hagel's will be replaced by Mike Johanns. Both are former governors of their states.

6. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Didn’t Kerry have a substantial lead the night before the election and what’s up with all these polls showing NObama doesn’t have anywhere near the lead the liberal-shill-left-media claims he does?

7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Attached Files:

8. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    I think it's still govt "of the people, by the people and for the people" that matters for most democrats.

To the extent that either party focuses on this, they will be successful in the US. The question is only which party best focuses on the people.

In my opinion, this is where Obama's focus lies. His success, and any party's success, will lie in whether they can keep that focus paramount.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

On what planet does this "liberal shill left media" exist? Perhaps you've missed out on the recent discussions that the media have tried to make this race look like a narrow horserace instead of a blowout, because a tighter race is better for ratings.

The Washington Post, for example -- a favorite whipping-boy of the right-wing -- has Obama with just 207 electoral votes(!) They have 173 electoral votes in the "swing state" category -- including states like Minnesota and New Mexico, where no pollster has shown McCain ahead in over a month.

CBS -- lord, how you whined when Dan Rather anchored there -- also has Obama short of the finish line, with just 259 electoral votes.

PBS -- another branch of the 'liberal media' has Obama leading, but with just 291 electoral votes: barely a Pennsylvania more than needed to win. CNN has the same results.

MSNBC -- M S N B C ! -- has Obama with just 286 electoral votes. Guess who else has Obama with just 286 electoral votes? FOX.

The big Obama leads are found on independent non-media-affiliated sites like pollster.com (311), fivethirtyeight.com (332), electoral-vote.com (353), and electionprojection.com (375).

You can screech all you want about the "liberal shill left media", but the actual evidence says you're wrong: the media shills for whichever side brings in better ratings -- the closer the race, the happier they are.

10. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

I like chips...:stupid2:

11. dreamer20

Gold Member

Those were 1BiGG1's out of touch with reality polls.:smile:

12. mindseye

Gold Member

ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!

13. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

A QUESTION ABOUT ANOTHER POLITICIAN...​
    I can not remember his name as usual, he was on CSPAN, was talking to an interviewer off screen.. And when he talked he made you think of Elmer J Fudd!
    I am serious. He spoke with a articulation or phonemic disorder or a form of a rhotacism that sounded spot on like Elmer Fudd. And he was talking, and you were supposed to take him serweeus!
    What Is His Name?

14. houtx48

Gold Member

notoriousbigg mcsame lost.............deal with it, he has

15. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Who?​

Draft saved Draft deleted