Democratic ticket for 2012: Obama/Clinton?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by zephyr808, Dec 9, 2011.

1. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've read speculation about this on and off since 2008, the possibility of some kind of reshuffling in the administration. Hillary runs as Obama's VP candidate in 2012 and Biden accepts a cabinet post (or something). If they win, it would set Hillary up nicely for a presidential run in 2016, assuming she wants it.

And I've only been on here a short time, not really looking for a flame war just wondering what you all think about this. Is it even plausible or likely and, if so, would that help the Ds chances in 2012? I tend to think it would, Hillary has even higher favorables than Obama or any of the Rs (I think) and it seems likely to increase enthusiasm among the base. I also think a lot of undecideds are women, and that might make Obama seem more palatable than whoever the R turns out to be, especially if it's Newt. Thoughts?

The allure of an Obama-Hillary ticket

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is no way in hell that HRC would consider subsuming her ego enough to accept the number two spot on the ticket. She could easily sit out 2012-2015 and still be the most obvious candidate for Dems in 2016.

3. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    But if Obama wins in 2012, and it's not Hillary on the ticket with him, precedent would seem to indicate that whoever the VP is would then run in 2016, whether it's Biden or somebody else. I guess Cheney is an exception to that rule (thank God), but that's what Gore did in 2000, and what Bush the 1st did in 1988.

4. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only way I can see this happen is if there is a backroom deal where Hillary runs with him and he then goes out on a press conference or in the Rose Garden and announces he is resigning from the Presidency for some reason, and then Hillary takes over and then she runs in 2016 and possibly 2020 since I think the law is a person can only be elected to the top office twice, and if she comes in starting as a VP she would be covered. I can't imagine she'd want to spend 4 years as second in command just on the hope of a 2016 win but I have seen lots of strange things in politics so I won't fully rule it out.

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anything is better than the GOP circus party.

6. houtx48

Gold Member

She will be 70 years old for the 2016 elections. Hillary might be a tad long in the tooth by then.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:

She'll be the same age as Reagan was in 1981, and five years younger than Biden. There'll no doubt be a power vacuum in 2016, but Hillary will still be the biggest, best-known and respected (ugh!*) game among any potential Dem in town.

*Color me not a fan :rolleyes:

Of course, that's a lifetime away in Presidential politics, so who really knows?

8. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like Hillary, it was a toss-up for me in 2008 between her and Kucinich (sue me, I'm a total liberal lefty pinko commie whatever, lol) but Colorado switched to caucuses instead of primaries and I couldn't go. I would have voted in a primary, though. Anyway, Biden is great, well he's better than OK but not really somebody I ever would have campaigned for, and with the speculation I mentioned above it seems like she might bolster Obama's chances as a VP candidate. So much of it always boils down to that fickle 'undecided' group, maybe one in four voters who allow themselves to be swept by whatever breezes are blowing in the air and out of the media. And you're right, bbucko, a lot can happen in politics very quickly.

As for your scenario, hoss, I hadn't thought about that specifically but stranger things have happened. And I'm pretty sure you're right, LBJ won in 1964 as a sitting president and could have run again in 1968 if he wanted to, which would have made his presidency 9 years or so, had he run and won. Can you imagine the outrage from the Rs if Hillary was president for a decade? I think Mitch McConnell's head just exploded.

9. bigfuckinpenis

bigfuckinpenis New Member

Albums:
    A hard-working guy like Biden who knows his shit shouldn't have to be sacrificed to pay for Obama's arrogance and incompetence. The ticket should be Biden/Clinton.

They'll hold the base, and keep the swing voters. It doesn't matter who's the VP, Obama will not carry PA, OH, FL, or any of the midwestern states this go-round. Biden and Mrs. Clinton are doing most of the work anyway, Obama just loves being the MC.

He has shown no real interest in governing, so he could get a show on late night and make millions and do what he does best, and let the people like Biden and Mrs. Clinton who take the work seriously and don't care about being popular or being cool try to put things back together.

10. Cuddler

Cuddler Member

She'd have to sit in second chair for just over 2 years to be able to run twice on her own for POTUS. How does that effect the equation?

Amendment XXII
    No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.​

11. houtx48

Gold Member

some how i don't see then dumping Biden .............that does not happen, it shows weekness.

12. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't know if I would see it as "dumping" him, especially if he stays in the cabinet. Maybe he and Hillary might switch, Secretary of State is not by any means low profile. But like that article I linked to in the first post says, one reason to not do it is the perception of desperation, so maybe the whole thing is just a rumor.

#12 zephyr808, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. dude_007

Gold Member

I couldn't disagree with you more.

14. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Woo, US politics seems to be suffering from a huge case of 'dead men's shoes'. Are there really no up and coming good candidates of a more reasonable age, or is the system totally controlled by time served? The Uk political parties are headed by David Cameron 45, Nick Clegg 44, Ed milliband 41. Now, 100 years ago in the UK imperial age an ancient government was the norm.

15. hot-rod

Gold Member

Gotta disagree! I think it's already a done deal that was negotiated some time ago. Then she could just step right on in when the president's term has finished without much flap. People everywhere love her anyway. Can you just imagine the republican fallout?????.......lmao........:fest30:

16. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There are certainly exceptions, Barack Obama being a notable and recent one, but there does still exist this desire by the parties to recognize a long-standing member of their party and at least consider him for a Presidential nomination. McCain in '08, Kerry in '04 and Dole in '96 spring to mind. It's kind of like a Lifetime Achievement Oscar, more for the "body of work" than anything else.

As for "up and coming", I suppose Paul Ryan fits that bill, and he may have aspirations at some point. I can't really think of too many younger Ds that have indicated a desire to run, but with Obama and HRC both in line, it may be a while before the blue side gets to mull over the possibility of somebody else.

17. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    They did???? They do????

18. hot-rod

Gold Member

You Betcha baby!....:usa:

19. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums: