Democrats are playing Political Games with the American Voter's HealthCare

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ObamaCare won't solve her problem...it will make it worse. People in Canada with life threatening or costly health problems travel to the U.S. to save their lives and their health.

The mother has healthcare but it's not affordable to her. ObamaCare won't solve that problem for her.

This story is heartbreaking. ObamaCare would let the mother and daughters go blind. And I wish people would open their eyes:

Obama can't make up his mind about keeping US safe in regards to his "good" war in Afghanistan. Iran is popping off as we speak. We are actually depending on Russia and China to deal with that issue! And the issue by the way is a nuclear Iran. North Korea is just waiting to start acting stupid.

We don't have a trillion dollars for the Crap of a plan the Democrats refuse to scrap and start over on that WILL NOT work to curb costs or improve access or care AND will add to the deficit.

If you didn't understand what I wrote...We can't afford the crap of a plan called ObamaCare that Obama is stupidly pushing and the Democrats are ignorantly hashing out in congress and it won't work to do anything Obama and the Democrats promise.
The thing that's CRAP is the above post!Enuf said.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
If there are so many of these people, how about a long list of names?

While the "phantom" search ensues, here's some reading material:

Phantoms In The Snow: Canadians' Use Of Health Care Services In The United States -- Katz et al. 21 (3): 19 -- Health Affairs

They aren't phantoms.

According to a September 14, 2007, article from CTV News, Canadian Liberal MP Belinda Stronach went to the United States for breast cancer surgery in June 2007. Stronach's spokesperson Greg MacEachern was quoted in the article saying that the US was the best place to have this type of surgery done. Stronach paid for the surgery out of her own pocket.[65] Prior to this incident, Stronach had stated in an interview that she was against two-tiered health care.[66]

When Robert Bourassa, the premier of Quebec, needed cancer treatment, he went to the US to get it.[67]

- Wikipedia

Last edited:

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Actually the story you posted as if it supported ObamaCare is a bunch of crap.:rolleyes:

All debateable fecal identification aside, it remains true that the argument of Canadians seeking healthcare in the United States due to the inadequecies of their own system is one of the strongest arguments against Obama providing any healthcare reform. The study provided seemed to have debunked that quite handily, as the number of procedures performed in the US on Canadians was well below 1% when compared to the same procedures in their own country. Is there a corresponding survey or study which shows the numbers of Canadians seeking healthcare south of the border is larger, or has the argument of the Canadian healthcare system being hopelessly flawed been debunked?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All debateable fecal identification aside, it remains true that the argument of Canadians seeking healthcare in the United States due to the inadequecies of their own system is one of the strongest arguments against Obama providing any healthcare reform. The study provided seemed to have debunked that quite handily, as the number of procedures performed in the US on Canadians was well below 1% when compared to the same procedures in their own country. Is there a corresponding survey or study which shows the numbers of Canadians seeking healthcare south of the border is larger, or has the argument of the Canadian healthcare system being hopelessly flawed been debunked?
The whole Canadian Healthcare Brouhaha is a Red Herring used to SCARE people. They Have a NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE. No plan currently making its way through Congress proposes nationalizing our entire healthcare system.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Honestly?

An article about a Canadian politician who had her mastectomy done in Canada, and the ensuing boob job done in California?

To quote from the top article:

"While it is rare for MPs to seek treatment outside Canada, MacEachern said Stronach was not lacking confidence in the system.
'In fact, Belinda thinks very highly of the Canadian health-care system, and uses it when needed for herself and her children, as do all Canadians. As well, her family has clearly demonstrated that support,' MacEachern told the Star."

Not sure where you think the interview with Stronach comes into play here.
The last article you linked to is an opinion piece from 1994.

Wow. If that's your response, then, I'm laughing.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media

From your first article: While it is rare for MPs to seek treatment outside Canada, MacEachern said Stronach was not lacking confidence in the system.
"In fact, Belinda thinks very highly of the Canadian health-care system, and uses it when needed for herself and her children, as do all Canadians. As well, her family has clearly demonstrated that support," MacEachern told the Star.

In any case, this is the word of an individual who is not a leading authority on healthcare. She is not on the board for any committee in Canadian parliament which addresses healthcare. What she says one way or another is merely an unqualified opinion, and nothing more.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
From your first article: While it is rare for MPs to seek treatment outside Canada, MacEachern said Stronach was not lacking confidence in the system.
"In fact, Belinda thinks very highly of the Canadian health-care system, and uses it when needed for herself and her children, as do all Canadians. As well, her family has clearly demonstrated that support," MacEachern told the Star.

In any case, this is the word of an individual who is not a leading authority on healthcare. She is not on the board for any committee in Canadian parliament which addresses healthcare. What she says one way or another is merely an unqualified opinion, and nothing more.

She is an example of a Canadian who can afford it going to the U.S. for care when their lives and health depend on it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure she does say she has confidence in the system, but actions speak louder than words.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
She is an example of a Canadian who can afford it going to the U.S. for care when their lives and health depend on it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure she does say she has confidence in the system, but actions speak louder than words.

And if you read the article to its completion, you see that she denies giving any sort of information as to what kind of procedure that she received, or what she paid for it. We also know that she already received a mastectomy in Toronto months prior. It is also called by her spokesperson a "late stage" procedure. We also know that whatever kind of procedure it is, she was directed to California as having the best hospital for the treatment.

Based on all of these facts it is highly probable that the operation in question was breast reconstruction surgery. This is cosmetic surgery, something the US excels at more than any other country in the world, and is a late stage treatment for women who have had mastectomies.

Without the relevant facts, the procedure and what was paid for it, we can't make a judgement call about the entire system, or the inadequecies of either. I know I wouldn't be willing to stake a claim on the superiority of one healthcare system over another based on proficiency in elective surgery.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
And if you read the article to its completion, you see that she denies giving any sort of information as to what kind of procedure that she received, or what she paid for it. We also know that she already received a mastectomy in Toronto months prior. It is also called by her spokesperson a "late stage" procedure. We also know that whatever kind of procedure it is, she was directed to California as having the best hospital for the treatment.

Based on all of these facts it is highly probable that the operation in question was breast reconstruction surgery. This is cosmetic surgery, something the US excels at more than any other country in the world, and is a late stage treatment for women who have had mastectomies.

Without the relevant facts, the procedure and what was paid for it, we can't make a judgement call about the entire system, or the inadequecies of either. I know I wouldn't be willing to stake a claim on the superiority of one healthcare system over another based on proficiency in elective surgery.

I read the article and I did not come to your conclusion that it was elective surgery for breast cancer. She is a Canadian that elected to go to the U.S. for care when her health depended on it...and she could afford it.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
I read the article and I did not come to your conclusion that it was elective surgery for breast cancer. She is a Canadian that elected to go to the U.S. for care when her health depended on it...and she could afford it.

Elective surgery for breast cancer? That's being a little bit intentionally deceptive don't you think? The Elective surgery would be to reconstruct the breast which had been removed from the mastectomy. Some women choose to go without this surgery, and there is no medical reason for it, therefore the surgery is elective.

What other operation would she be having? She had already had the mastectomy. Can you name another operation that would be plausible?

In any case, whether you got the impression or not when you first read the article, I have shown that it is very probable that this is what the operation was. It fits all of the criteria of the situation in the absence of information. Of course, it could have been an operation to remove a tumor from an area the cancer had spread to. The point is we don't know. You are basing the motivation behind her decision to go to America to have a procedure on a guess. Nothing more.

D

deleted213967

I am still scratching my head over the roughly 80% of Americans satisfied with their current health care coverage.

I do have private health care coverage, all of which I pay for myself. I am only satisfied with it to the extent that I have been lucky enough not to have to use it much. I am also lucky to live in a progressive state that keeps insurers in leash and outlaws their most egregious behavior (e.g. denying coverage to a woman because she has a sickly preexisting condition called "pregnancy").

Are the pollsters asking the wrong question?

The US health care system as a whole is clearly broken, fraught with inefficiencies in both patient care and claim processing, it is too reactive and not nearly enough preventive, it has the poorest ROI of the OECD club.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, not when I provided an article entitled:

Stronach went to U.S. for cancer treatment: report

And the only one guessing is you. :rolleyes:

The wealthy politician went to a plastic surgeon in California to have reconstructive surgery on her breasts, after getting her mastectomy done in Canada.

And the article quotes her spokesman as to how happy she and her whole family are with the health care in Canada.

The fact you cite this (and only this :eek:) as evidence buttressing your arguments is laughable.

Lordy.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
No, not when I provided an article entitled:

Stronach went to U.S. for cancer treatment: report

And the only one guessing is you. :rolleyes:

Considering you quoted the very article I did, which refused to identify her procedure, I'm guessing that you just read the title. California is well known for the abundance of prominent plastic surgeons (Hollywood anyone?) The article talks openly of the fact that she received a mastectomy in Toronto, but when she goes to one of the plastic surgery capitols of the world, all of a sudden the nature of her procedure is hush hush?

So you're not guessing about her procedure? What was it then? No dodging. If I am the only one guessing about the procedure, you are not, which by extension means that you know what it was. What was it then?

D

deleted213967

The fact you cite this (and only this :eek:) as evidence buttressing your arguments is laughable.
Lordy.

No purely anecdotal case should be used to buttress either side of the debate. Some high-profile physicians and medical centers specialize in rare conditions and are simply the patient's best hope.

I am sure you'd seek care at the Magic Mormon Clinic
in Salt Lake City if your attending physician convinced you that it was your best chance at survival.

By the same token, Glenn Beck himself would fly to Paris if a renowned French surgeon were his only hope to beat his hypothetical cancer.

Last edited by a moderator: