Democrats eat into McCain's lead as Palin's halo starts to slip

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sargon20, Sep 15, 2008.

1. sargon20

Gold Member

So much for the BOUNCE...dead cat bounce........

Democrats eat into McCain's lead as Palin's halo starts to slip

By Leonard Doyle in Washington
    Tuesday, 16 September 2008

There were growing signs yesterday that the "Sarah Palin effect" is starting to wear off and that the Republican candidate, John McCain, has peaked.

Democrats took heart from four national opinion polls which show that despite the bounce caused by interest in Mrs Palin, Mr McCain now leads by an average of just 1.6 points, his smallest margin since the Republican convention.

The latest polls come amid a flurry of critical news reports into Mrs Palin which cast doubt on some of her claims to be a squeaky clean reformist. Senator McCain's claims that his running mate had not sought special interest funding from Congress have been shown to be wrong.

It emerged yesterday that she had asked the US to fund $453m worth of projects in oil-rich Alaska for the past two years. Among the requests was $4.5m for an airport serving fewer than 100 people on a Bering Sea island and $9m to help Alaska's already hugely profitable oil companies.

Democrats mocked the Alaska governor as "an earmark queen".

The disclosures come on top of evidence that her administration also held on to more than $500m in federal funds for a much-derided "bridge to nowhere" which she maintains she vetoed. For two weeks the McCain campaign has wallowed in the media's obsession with Governor Palin. A huge bounce in the opinion polls followed, with women especially declaring that they were changing their allegiance because they admired her so much.

But that appears to be changing as the focus of the election turns to the economy, especially in northern states. In Iowa, a poll in the Des Moines Register gives Barack Obama a comfortable lead of 12 points. In traditionally Republican southern states, however, the McCain campaign remains strong (he has a 20-point lead in South Carolina).

In the final weeks of the race for the White House, both sides are stepping up the attack, with events on Wall Street expected to provide the main focus.

A cacophony of news greets voters every day, including video press releases, blogs, and attack ads on television, on top of newspapers and television. The Obama campaign is also spending tens of millions of dollars on advertising in an attempt to dominate the news agenda. The McCain campaign, with less money to spend, relies on cable news channels to give free air time to the attack ads it releases.

The Obama campaign was quick to seize on comments by Mr McCain in Florida yesterday, which it said portrayed him as fundamentally out of touch with voters. Speaking at a "town hall" meeting with supporters, he said that "the fundamentals of our economy are strong" before adding: "These are very, very difficult times and I promise you we will never put America in this position again."

Democrats eat into McCain's lead as Palin's halo starts to slip - White House, News - The Independent

2. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is the reality and I am stoked! Maybe I can stay in the country after all! lol!! :smile:

3. Notaguru2

Gold Member

The blowback from weeks of lies is now catching up with their campaign. When Rove says McCain went too far, you by-gawd have gone too far. lol. I will thoroughly enjoy watching the collapse of the McCain campaign... and its happening before our eyes.

4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I wasn't worried. It was gonna happen.

5. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

The sooner the better. Goodie, goodie, goodie!

6. sargon20

Gold Member

All the lies they've told is starting to catch up. And all the conservative (and Trinity) spin can't help. The woman is so incredibly unqualified for the job. And McCain picking her is an affront to all the other qualified women Republicans out there. She was picked for two reasons, one was to get the wacko theocrats and the other was..well you can guess the other reason (think chromosones).

#6 sargon20, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  7. Freddie53

Gold Member

This is the very reason that Obama may win a large electoral victory, even if McCain wins the popular vote, So McCain rakes up big margins in the southern states. If a state has 10 electoral votes, the winner gets all seven regardless is the winner won by 51 percent or by 80-20 percent.

People are assuming that McCain will win Mississippi. Mississippi has 37 percent black vote. I don't know what the Hispanic vote is, but if the blacks turn out in great numbers and Obama so much as wins by even a 52 or 53 % margin among Hispanics, it would take almost 100 percent of the whilte vote for McCain to win. Depending as I said on who actaully went out and voted that day, not who asnwered the phone on a polling survey.

This election isn't about the popular vote nationally. It is about which candidate wins the swing states. Third party, voters staying home, special interest groups votoingin great numbers; all these vactors aren't reflected in the polls. Yet all have a major impact on the outcome.

8. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not suprising, she is a flash in the pan. But now that she is doing interviews, and with the debates coming, everyone will see her inexperience and wacko politics.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Saw her on TV today regurgitating scripted talking points about how more regulation and accountability are necessary in the US financial system. The adoring audience was clapping and cheering.....

lol, the GOP's now saying we now need more regulation for everyone's good.

Riiiigghhhhtttt......

10. sargon20

Gold Member

Yep lies just all lies. Once the GOP drones get into adminstration positions they will block all attempts at regulation. Then actually hold a press conference that same day saying they are drafting new regulations. And if they do have new regulations you can bet they are toothless and written by industry for industry. And if somehow new regulations are passed they will simply de-fund the agency charged with overseeing those regulations. Win win.

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The look in her eyes frightens me. The eyes of a zealot.

12. B_New End

B_New End New Member

More regulation is Washington speak for a slap on the hand, and some "restitution" to politicians campaign funds.

Its like a father saying, "I'll buy a new car, since you demolished the family car, but from now on, no speeding. I never liked the minivan anyways, lets get a Viper."

13. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    "I can see Russia from my house!"
    S.P

14. sargon20

Gold Member

“We must not, Charlie, blink, Charlie, because, Charlie, as I’ve said, Charlie, before, John McCain has said, Charlie, that — and remember here, Charlie, we’re talking about John McCain, Charlie, who, Charlie, is John McCain and I won’t be blinking, Charlie.”

15. sargon20

Gold Member

“We must not, Charlie, blink, Charlie, because, Charlie, as I’ve said, Charlie, before, John McCain has said, Charlie, that — and remember here, Charlie, we’re talking about John McCain, Charlie, who, Charlie, is John McCain and I won’t be blinking, Charlie.”

16. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

This is a pretty damning piece on her.

17. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    To what country were you planning to move?

Here in the U.S., we have one of the lowest personal income tax rates. In Australia it is about 55%, IF I recall correctly. New Zealand and many European countries are similar. Other countries also have problems.

18. sargon20

Gold Member

I love it....

What kind of person tells a self-aggrandizing lie, gets called on it, admits publicly that the truth is not at all what she originally claimed -- and then goes out and starts telling the original lie again without changing a word?

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    This is why Palin's Favorability ratings are plummeting.
    Though there's no doubt, after Meltdown Monday, that it's the 'economy AGAIN, stupid', there's also no let up in the vetting of someone who has claims to be a heartbeat away from potentially the oldest ever President elect.
    Our friends over on Motley Moose have an exclusive. Tania Tetlow, a former Federal Prosecutor and now Professor of Law at Tulane, has brilliantly exposed how Governor Palin's policies on domestic violence and rape have undone decades of consensus, and for all her purported 'feminism' represent a backward move to the dark ages.
    Sarah Palin has provided the ultimate example of why a female candidate is no substitute for a candidate who cares about women. Compare Palin and Biden's records on violence against women, an issue on which both sides normally agree. The political right may not always prioritize the cause, but it does not disagree that domestic violence is destructive of families and that rape is fundamentally wrong. Yet Palin sailed right past apathy to downright punishment of women for reporting rapes.
    With her field experience of law and domestic violence, Tania Tetlow knows what she is talking about. And when she quotes local officials, she also knows what this means on the ground.
    Palin did not charge any other crime victims for the privilege of law enforcement. When the Wasilla police fingerprinted a house that had been burglarized, they did not present the owners with a bill for their services. But rape, of course, is different. As an on-line reader of Wasilla's local paper wrote in response to the issue:
    To weed out the false accusations women make with respect to sexual assaults, many towns have and are charging for rape kits. I have worked enough rapes to know when the town ho cries foul just to be vindictive and YES she should be charged.
    The only measure of a candidate is what they have done in the past. It's clear what Sarah Palin's position is from her time in Alaska. It's not just blaming the victim, it's billing the victim.
    So Governor Palin isn't the presidential candidate. She's just the VP nominee. OK. Let's compare like with like:
    Which state has more than double the national rate of rape, and the highest per capita murder rate of women by men? You guessed it. Alaska.
    Not only is Joe Biden better on this issue, he has been the nation's most vocal champion for ending violence against women. Biden drafted a federal statute that banned local communities from charging for rape kits (contained in a crime bill that McCain voted against.) Biden spent years of his Senate career authoring and passing the Violence Against Women Act ("VAWA"), a law that created federal enforcement of interstate domestic violence and stalking, and, more importantly, brought massive funding to local police departments to protect women.
    Since VAWA, the domestic violence murder rate has decreased substantially. Joe Biden has saved countless women from rape and murder.
    It's McCain versus Obama. I know how that works out. But it's also Palin versus Biden. And on any feminist issue, I know who is in the right camp: vote Biden against Palin

Draft saved Draft deleted