DEMOCRATS vs REPUBLICANS

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, Feb 13, 2009.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ugh. Self-satisfied, sanctimonious crap.

It's pretty sad when one reaches the point of being unable to tout their own virtues at all without shitting on someone else in the same breath.

Political extremism is ugly, regardless of which side it leans to.

3. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't find it smug or sanctimonious at all... it seemed right on the money.

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was all of the above.

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, that is your opinion.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    All Republican thought bad. All Democratic thought good (or the other way around). Bullshit.

This is exactly what's wrong with American politics. People have one view point and defend it to death. No one can be seen to be wrong or admit an error. How very juvenile. They refuse to see further than the end of their f..ing noses.

I think their minds are becoming as lazy as their big fat arses.

7. sargon20

Gold Member

Spot on

8. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, y'all should form a third party or something, what's with the sudden bi-partisanship?

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    It must be the influence of Barack Obama.

Seriously, if that article is right, then you should just take all the Republicans out, shoot them and have done with it.

10. mindseye

Gold Member

I walked into the Restaurant of America the other day and sat down at a booth. The waiter came by to take my order. "This century's specials are warm flavorless gruel, and a bowl of dogshit with shards of glass in it. If you want, you can have a little of both."

I've never really loved the Democratic gruel -- it's enough to meet my most basic needs, but it's not very satisfying. The other party, however, is so much worse, that I cringe when I hear the word 'bipartisanship'.

HazelGod writes, "It's pretty sad when one reaches the point of being unable to tout their own virtues at all without shitting on someone else in the same breath." I agree that there's something sad about reaching that point, but I disagree with his assessment that reaching that point is 'political extremism' on the point of the author.

My chosen party isn't at the forefront of civil rights -- I wish it were. They talk about universal health care, but are too timid to take the bold steps needed to make it a reality. They fold like a house of cards with little provocation. What are its greatest virtues? My party doesn't torture prisoners. My party doesn't embrace theocracy. My party doesn't cloak its every sinister machination under the dark umbrella of executive privilege. My party recognizes it serves everyone, and not just those fortunate enough to be able to donate to it. I'd rather have the party that just manages to tread 20th-century water in 2009, than the party that rushes full speed ahead(?) towards the 18th century.

As I see it in present-day America, it's nearly impossible to tout my party's virtues (and, to be clear, I'm distinguishing virtues from aspirations) except by way of comparison to its unappealing alternative.

11. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is nothing that we can do about the Republicans. They can't be re-educated and we can't murder em. They are just going to continue to destroy the earth and mankind for their own personal gain or to satisfy their xenophobic or racist tendencies.

They are only half human.

12. houtx48

Gold Member

if there were a viable third party i would seriously consider joining it

13. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

I tend to vote Dem more than GOP, and I hate all that trashing of one party over another. Just from a tactical standpoint, it's stupid to assign all those bad qualities to your competitor.

14. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I've been blathering on and on for the need for a multi-party system.

The only way it happens, if some prolific individual breaks rank, and starts are party or joins one.

15. sargon20

Gold Member

This is true but American politics have descended to the 'lowest common denominator' for years now. Turn on any cable news show and watch the pundents scream and yell at each other. This 'infotainment' is to the detriment of debate and actual what one might leisurely call 'knowledge transfer'. But it gets good ratings. And that's all that matters to the bid media companies which are supposed to play a vital role in a democracy. That vital role has been usurped for profit.

16. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

This Daily Kos column is part of the problem, not the solution, to finding equitable compromises for today's partisan politics.

In its own way, it's like being trapped in your car with that loud-mouthed boor, Rush Limbaugh, screaming at you ("GET OFF THE PHONE YOU COMMIE CREEP!"). It had me clutching my head & rooting around for some ibuprofen.

From the Kos link:

Dems are "the party of science, reason, and rationality.....the party that understands economics....The Democratic party is the party of economic, social, fiscal, and environmental sustainability. The GOP is the party of spoiled 3-year-olds, expounding their infantile "Gimme it, it's mine! I want it all! Gimme gimme gimme NOW!" philosophy.....The Democrats are much wiser on foreign policy and national security.... The GOPers love America in the way that a 4-year old loves their mommy - mommy is always right no matter what, and anyone who criticizes mommy is a bad, evil man (or country).... Democrats view each citizen - nay, each human being - as a unique and valuable individual entitled to certain inalienable rights..... Republicans view each person as a cog in the machine, as a tool in production"

If dems & cons continue to think along these lines - viewing their political neighbors as "opposites", as political inferiors who walk in lockstep and subscribe to groupthink, drinking only their own party's brand of kool-aid - they only dig in the trenches a little deeper, solidify the gridlock.

We desperately need to find a new politics. As a good start, it might help if we all viewed ourselves as political independents -- if only to begin to break free from drinking our own kool-aids.

#16 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  17. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly. Even if you're 100% correct in those assignations, it's just bad form. The question could have been answered just as effectively using the first halves of each response. There was no constructive purpose in maligning the other faction...and this is why I see it as extremism. It's petty, unnecessary, and undermines your credibility.

18. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's also entirely human to want to go into detail during a rant.

Republicans can fucking suck it, I ain't offering them no fucking hand, and you shouldn't either.

If you can stand there with a straight face and compare the Dailykos to Rush Limbaugh, you are a true piece of work.

There was nothing in there that isn't factual. Speak the truth, don't dance around it.

So now I have to accept Republican bullshit for the cause of bi-partisanship? They wouldn't do the same for us, they told us to fuck off and die with any input that we had that was not in lock step with their plan. Barack Obama has repeatedly had his hand whacked away when he reached out to the Republicans... they can't have anymore fucking tax cuts 'cause it didn't work the last time and all it did was drain our government's coffers to dangerous levels. They are authoritarian and nothing more than bullies who seek to crush all opposition at any cost.

The DailyKos excerpt that you quoted is harsh as hell, but it is entirely truthful.

It's time for the Republican party to stand in the corner and think about their actions. Now is not the time to give them what they could never give us... that's right, I said NEVER!!!! Don't think that you can turn your backs on the right wingers for a fucking second, they will stick a knife in it and twist it to make sure that the wound is fatal.

The conservatives would like nothing more than for the Democrats to let them off of the hook.

Don't be a bunch of pussies... stick that knee back in their chest so that they can't move until the cops get here.

#18 tripod, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  19. Flashy

Gold Member

:rolleyes:

you are as extreme as they are.

how is that for succinct?

20. sargon20

Gold Member

Exactly. Until everyone of them in their current form is DEAD DEAD DEAD, until Fox News collapses, until all their propaganda Think Tanks ( Heritage, Cato, AEI, etc), until Rush and Mann Coulter die die die. Until all that happens you can never ever attempt to engage them in anything except their deporation to the authoritarian plutocratic country where ever that is that they so desire to build.

Draft saved Draft deleted