Demographical Statistics Of Abortions, Political Alignment

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Basically I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any data on the political alignments/affiliations/identities of women who have had abortions.

I'm having a discussion where my interlocutor has assumed that most women who get abortions are "leftists". I am questioning this assumption. I tried to find relevant data to bolster the weight of my skepticism. While I easily found statistics on a number of demographical factors (age, race, national origin, religion, extent of education), political alignment was conspicuously absent in all the sources I looked at.

Also, if anyone wants to comment on why demographical surveys for abortions seem to tend to omit coverage of political alignment, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
With the exception educational background, still sometimes included, most of the demographic information is covered on medical paperwork for an exam or procedure.

Also. Abortion is a fairly personal choice and event, many women are justified wanting as much privacy as possible.

I will say the women protecting the rights to safe and legal abortions are democrat, or third party with a liberal bent.

ETA: Economic background is another point to examine. From a more compassionate view of why women choose abortion and how restricted access to medical care disproportionately affect women living at or below the poverty line.

Last edited:

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Thank you. Data on attitudes regarding abortion by party affiliation is definitely out there. The problem is that I'm looking for data on who is having abortions, rather than who feels what way about abortion. But I appreciate your efforts.
You might find that countries with patient privacy won’t include everyone. Or track certain demographics.

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Given puritanical social values in this country, I think it better that there are as few statistics about abortion as possible.

Holy rollers, bible zealots, religious screamers and their allies don't need ammunition by which they can justify their victimization of subsets of society. There has been far too much of that in this country's past.