Demographics of (bi)sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Harvey Schmeckel, Jun 16, 2010.

1. D_Harvey Schmeckel

D_Harvey Schmeckel New Member

Some of the recent discussion about what distinguishes "a bisexual" from a straight or gay person has been frustrating and confusing to me. Rather than let the 100% straight or gay define others as bisexual or not, as some seem prone to do, I'm interested in self-definition as bisexual. (100%ers sometimes seem very agenda-driven on the topic.) Pardon the use of Wikipedia but this entry really is full of wonderful links, international in scope, about the prevalence of bisexuality and homosexuality:
    Demographics of sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Survey results are so diverse that it becomes apparent that self-definition as bisexual varies tremendously in different studies. So do the criteria for defining a subject as bisexual. I'd appreciate comments from self-ID'd bisexuals about where you would draw the line between a true bisexual or a bi-curious straight or gay person. Was astonished to see some LPSGers dismiss sexual-orientation-as-continuum as a matter of opinion rather than voluminously documented research. Where on the continuum we place the boundaries between bi, straight, and gay vary from individual to individual, culture to culture, era to era.

2. Joseph

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sexuality is a very complex thing, it can be defined by sexual attraction... emotional attraction. I used to be very worried about it, now I just relax and try not to take a gender as an issue when selecting a partner....... I do admit, it's not that perfect and I do act differently for guys and girls, but I do still try to be open for options.

I do admit I find researching the thing all fine and I'm not one of those people who scream around demanding to stop using labels.... I mean... it's just terms to describe what we like. But still, maybe we just should stop over-thinking it.

I'm bi, so I can have fun with either of genders. Sure there's the bitter part of being sexually confused and worried, but I got over that now.

Ehhh sorry if this isn't about the topic, my head hurts a bit

3. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I've been on this group for almost three years and there are many others who have been on here much longer than that. What I've noticed in that time is that the discussion about sexual/emotional orientation being on a continuum seems to keep shifting back and forth. What I've also noticed is that some guys who self-identify as 100% straight have a very difficult time with this idea, and generally rally against it. I don't think it's about science but more a visceral emotional reaction..."no way am I gay...not even .0001%". I think this attitude gets shaped at a very early age and is difficult to see through. If you notice, no women on this board have an issue with orientation being more fluid. It's usually just the men, many of whom are not very well educated either. I also think that these same guys are primarily interested in meeting women here so even though it's called "Large Penis Support Group", they don't really notice that the board has a very diverse membership. Their primary focus is meeting women, not talking about or sharing their own life experiences, especially with other guys. After a while, these same men find out that there aren't a lot of women who want to meet them here, so they move on. (Strangely enough lots of times they don't post any photos of themselves either) I've also noticed that people in their teens and 20s are more open to the continuum theory than older folks.

I identify as being bisexual/bi-affectional in that I've had and do have emotional/sexual relationships with women as well as men. I don't see the difference in being attracted to and falling in love with either gender, and have had both as lovers. I don't think it's possible to completely categorize all the variable permutations of the sexual continuum. I read somewhere that there are 37 different kinds of bisexuals as defined by psychologists so far.

#3 B_Hung Jon, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

And what do psychologists know about anything, all they do is spout the mantras they were taught in college twenty years ago. You cannot categorize sexuality or political sympathies.

5. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Agreed. As time goes on, I think we will learn a great deal more about this.

6. D_Alec_Baldtwins

D_Alec_Baldtwins Account Disabled

Even if it were possible, I have a hard time seeing the value in doing so. It amazes me how preoccupied some people can get with trying to put everything and everyone in neat little boxes...

7. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

HS, I don't think that's the point. It's just an area of scientific study. I don't see any difference in studying sexuality than in studying any other aspect of human nature or even medical science. If it can help people understand themselves and others better then why not? For some reason there's a resistance to knowledge. As I've said many times on this site: wisdom is better than ignorance. :biggrin1:

8. maxcok

Gold Member

A continuum is pretty much the opposite of neat little boxes.

9. D_Harvey Schmeckel

A continuum is pretty much the opposite of neat little boxes.

Thanks, Max, some of the responses seem to miss that point entirely. I wanted to add that the results that were most personally interesting to me were that about a third of bi-identified teens end up as gay or lesbian identified adults. That was the case for me and illustrative of the fluidity of orientation. It's not that I was "really bisexual" then and am now in denial, or "really gay" then and in denial about it. Rather, interest in and experience with women was a significant minority of my sexual reality at age 25, but shrank to insignificance by 50.

10. double_digit

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pfffftt, c'mon. Sexual proclivity, preference, attraction? IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD. NOT theirs. Flip a coin, tie on your sneakers and shag the eyeballs loose with a happy, willing partner. WHUT iz UP wid DA Fussmaking?!

We did not fall out of the trees in our pinstripe suits and walk into Wall Street *overnight*. We hold three PRIMAL directves deep in ancestral/genetic code.

1) EAT

2) SLEEP

3) REPRODUCE

If you cannot enjoy and experience fulfillment in these areas (to arguable levels of success - but dang just have fun doing it!) then you have failed as a member of the species. Do not argue it. Go forth with it and persue it as a venue of enjoyment, enrichment and societical progression. It's your DUTY!

Why let some fancified logic layered over it add to your cranial CPU load? :>

10 Can I Eat It?; If Yes Gosub 20; If No or else gosub 60
    20 Can I Fuck It?; If Yes gosub 30; If No or else gosub 60
    30 Can I Sleep in,on,under, next to it?; IF Yes Gosub 40; If No or else gosub 60
    40 Keep it
    45 END
    50 REM "anyone reading this is geekier than me! Wait until I diagram where someone can "PUT IT AND FUCK THEMSELVES" in LOGO. :D
    60 Fuck it anyway and take Youtube video, then discard.
    70 END

*scampers away snickering*

11. NEWREBA

NEWREBA New Member

Albums:

dd, are you certifiable? :confused:

12. double_digit

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No - only a genius. ;D

Why, are you crazy too? I'm mad, you're mad - we're all mad here! Actually, sleep deprived...been up for 30 hours now, working on a little side project. I post to alleviate boredom. Does it show?

13. D_Harvey Schmeckel

HungJon wrote:

I don't see any difference in studying sexuality than in studying any other aspect of human nature or even medical science. If it can help people understand themselves and others better then why not?

For some people, better understanding of sexual behavior might threaten the authority of cultural and religious tradition.

For some reason there's a resistance to knowledge.

I note that those who decry all social scientific observation of sexual behavior usually seem to be the 100% straight males-- never saw a woman do it, or gay man. As for your "some reason"-- evidence and reasoning as applied by social scientists are threatening to the 100% straight male's place as the crown of creation. The ideal of manhood from which all variations are inferior, because cultural and religious tradition tells them so. If social science tells them otherwise, KILL THE MESSENGER!

14. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

in a way, i really feel for bisexuals.... i mean, at least in the case of one being gay or straight, there's an absolute to those orientations that make it easy to move on with life once it's been defined by a person to themselves.... a gay or straight person pretty much knows exactly who they are and exactly what they want.... in the case of bisexuality, there are so many grey areas and variances to it that a person cold literally analyze themselves to death trying to figure out where their place is among the grading.... it doesn't help either when a 100% straight or gay person tries to define a bisexual or tell a bisexual that they're only using that sexual identity to hide from something they 'really' are.... doing so could make a very shy bisexual afraid to explore anything because they're being judged by people who ultimately don't understand them.... to be honest: it's nobody's business but theirs as long as nobody's getting hurt....

15. alwaysguessing

alwaysguessing New Member

I'd like to know how you made the determination in bold.

16. 8inchbill

8inchbill Member

Albums:

I'm of the school of thought that sexuality is part personal and part social. As a teenager one tends to want to experiment and try many lifestyle options before settling down. If during your sexual experimentation you find that others are confused with how you label yourself, which happens quite often to those who identify as bi, you may feel socially pressured to "chose a side of the fence" so to speak.

Personally I was gay before I met my wife, and she was a card carrying lesbian (the card was just a picture of a plaid shirt). Anyway what I'm trying to say is that the prvalance for people having a bi phase in no way invalidates those who stick with being bi. Also unless you exclusivly have three somes it's very hard to be bi all the time. Sort of a "your only as bi as your last blow job" theory.

Can you be a bi celibate?
    Can you be a bi virgin?
    Can you be a gay guy married to a lady?

17. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I think a few of the responses to this thread prove my point quite clearly. It's much like the theistic creationists POV. To paraphrase, the THEORY of sexuality being on a continuum is simply that, just a theory, say the 100% males. The same could be said about the round earth theory. My sense is that if a particular idea doesn't fit into a man's world view it simply isn't true. If men feel threatened in terms of their status, power or position, they will fight tooth and nail to defend themselves. The real issue here is not about logic, argument nor science, but rather about competition...or put in another more humorous way, "Who has the biggest dick?" :biggrin1:

18. alwaysguessing

alwaysguessing New Member

You are delusional.

19. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Every once in awhile I think it becomes necessary for the moderators to remind people here of what the name of this group is. '"LARGE PENIS SUPPORT GROUP". It is primarily a support group for men. For those people who haven't had much experience in support groups, the whole purpose is to help one another, not take pot shots at each other. Calling people childish names only reflects badly on the participants. Even worse is not even paying attention to who the other people are as individuals. LPSG is not a place for pissing contests or name-calling. I've noticed that some of the new members feel they can say or do anything they want without any consequences. Calling others names is something that the moderators take seriously.

20. concupisys

concupisys Active Member

well put hung jon....

Draft saved Draft deleted