Dems reach 60th vote on healthcare debate

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Had Obama become personally involved in writing this bill it would have been vilified as ObamaCare like HillaryCare.

wrong, 70% of the country is in favor of universal now, it was .01% when hillary tried.

and hillary wasn't the president, if bill clinton personally got behind it then there may have been more progress made.

obama needed to be personally involved, he didnt' even bother to get the dems in line.

as a result we're still first and ten. and our QB got sacked.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Had Obama become personally involved in writing this bill it would have been vilified as ObamaCare like HillaryCare. It already has been to some extent but no where near the extent it was with the Clinton failed attempt. If anyone remembers HillaryCare was put together behind closed doors and rolled out to widespread criticism. Washington is a place were power is everything. The executive branch cannot be seen as usurping the power of the other branches particularly with democrats and progressives who have a unique inability to vote in lockstep harmony as the Right.

Well said! Although I doubt many people really get what that means, unfortunately... :frown1:

D

deleted15807

You're talking a Lyndon Johnson.
Obama is no such creature, I'm beginning to realize.

Obama is definitely more of a consensus gatherer than Johnson. But it is an unfair comparison. We have a far different Congress and country than we had in the 1960's. The country is a far more divided country now both politically and ideologically speaking.

wrong, 70% of the country is in favor of universal now, it was .01% when hillary tried.

Note to thadjock...the country (Congress) isn't run by national polls. All that matters is what the voters of each congressmans district care about.

Last edited by a moderator:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The executive branch cannot be seen as usurping the power of the other branches

what are you talking about? where were u during the bush years?

that was 8 years of nothing BUT executive branch running the whole show, including the pentagon.

they changed the game, if obama thinks he's going to play ball in DC with kennedy era tactics, he's going to lose and lose big.

D

deleted15807

what are you talking about? where were u during the bush years?

that was 8 years of nothing BUT executive branch running the whole show, including the pentagon.

I am talking now not then. As I said before democrats and progressives have an inability to vote in lockstep like the Right and they actually vote what they believe or what will not endanger their re-election.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Note to thadjock...the country (Congress) isn't run by national polls. All that matters is what the voters of each congressmans district care about.

my point was, he had single payer momentum going in his favor , if u get enough of the public fired up congress will pay attention.

but instead emanuel et al anticipate what it's going to take to make the republicans happy, concedes, and gives them all of that up front.

it's like saying "here take my money" b4 anybody asks for it or shows a gun.

D

deleted15807

Well said! Although I doubt many people really get what that means, unfortunately... :frown1:

Faux News has already criticized him for his use of so called 'czars'.

my point was, he had single payer momentum going in his favor , if u get enough of the public fired up congress will pay attention.

We live in a country that's more 'I got mine. You get yours'. People who have coverage by and large don't think or care about people who don't. And if they do well we are for it as long as it's free.

Ericsson1228d

Experimental Member
Media
Thankfully this country is beginning to wake up (a little late) and realize what the Dems and the president really are.

Prepare for the Republican Surge.

You see, as news comes out that the Senate has secured the magical 60 votes, Obama experiences further declines. Rasmussen writes:

" Today’s update show the highest level of Strong Disapproval yet recorded for this President" (dated today).

Good job Dems in congress - your president hands you the blueprints for your (and his) defeat in the next election!!! Well done!!!

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thankfully this country is beginning to wake up (a little late) and realize what the Dems and the president really are.

Prepare for the Republican Surge.

You see, as news comes out that the Senate has secured the magical 60 votes, Obama experiences further declines. Rasmussen writes:

" Today’s update show the highest level of Strong Disapproval yet recorded for this President" (dated today).

Good job Dems in congress - your president hands you the blueprints for your (and his) defeat in the next election!!! Well done!!!
Poll: Imminent Passage Of Bill Without Public Option Causes Obama's Approval To Go Up Among Democrats

The new CNN poll finds that President Obama's approval rating is going up, now that he's on the verge of passing a health care bill -- and Democratic approval of the bill is going up, too............

Poll: Imminent Passage Of Bill Without Public Option Causes Obama's Approval To Go Up Among Democrats | TPMDC

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
D

deleted15807

True. The larger problem appears to be the foreseen circumstance of insurance premiums rising faster than employers and independents can afford. In more and more cases, insurance is becoming a shackle to employees as much as it is employers. ......the current model is becoming more and more untenable.

And one day employer health care plans will go the way of employer pensions. Gone With The Wind.

If Health Care Reform Fails, America’s Innovation Gap Will Grow

The majority of Republicans will crow victory against anything that doesn't goes Obama's way.

And in today's NYTimes:
The political scientist Barbara Sinclair has done the math. In the 1960s, she finds, “extended-debate-related problems” — threatened or actual filibusters — affected only 8 percent of major legislation. By the 1980s, that had risen to 27 percent. But after Democrats retook control of Congress in 2006 and Republicans found themselves in the minority, it soared to 70 percent.
A Dangerous Dysfunction

So being Lyndon Johnson is just not possible.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Disaster.... wait until the actual details come out... and we're paying for a couple years. Remember this doesn't start for awhile now... yet there's this rush to vote by xmas. My gawd did the Dems fuck up control of the house.

The biggest winner in this whole debacle is laughable...

healthcare insurance companies

Reid is a goner. Pelosi is safe.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Poll: Imminent Passage Of Bill Without Public Option Causes Obama's Approval To Go Up Among Democrats

The new CNN poll finds that President Obama's approval rating is going up, now that he's on the verge of passing a health care bill -- and Democratic approval of the bill is going up, too............

Poll: Imminent Passage Of Bill Without Public Option Causes Obama's Approval To Go Up Among Democrats | TPMDC

Clever... Bush enjoyed a jump in ratings via the surge yet was south of fity. Revlon just called... they've got a surplus of lipstick for this pig.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Disaster.... wait until the actual details come out... and we're paying for a couple years. Remember this doesn't start for awhile now... yet there's this rush to vote by xmas. My gawd did the Dems fuck up control of the house.

The biggest winner in this whole debacle is laughable...

healthcare insurance companies

Reid is a goner. Pelosi is safe.

i never thought i'd ever say this

but he's absolutely right about all of that. 100%

consider it an early xmas gift face

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah, AMONG DEMOCRATS. Big Surprise. Dolt.

And of course, every single source you've ever provided...
Every story you've ever linked to...
Every poll you've referred to for support on your beliefs...
Have all been completely, 100% bipartisan and neutral!!!

Spare us, please. Shut your hole, hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Yeah, AMONG DEMOCRATS. Big Surprise. Dolt.

Democrats, however, comprise about 72 million of the voting population while Republicans only comprise about 55 million. It's the 44 million independents who need to be swayed.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
And in today's NYTimes:
The political scientist Barbara Sinclair has done the math. In the 1960s, she finds, “extended-debate-related problems” — threatened or actual filibusters — affected only 8 percent of major legislation. By the 1980s, that had risen to 27 percent. But after Democrats retook control of Congress in 2006 and Republicans found themselves in the minority, it soared to 70 percent.
A Dangerous Dysfunction
So it's basically Romper Room in the Capitol.
This is extraordinary.
And it shows who is fundamentally undemocratic and immature.

So being Lyndon Johnson is just not possible.
I guess not.
(Not that Obama has that in him anyway. LBJ was a hammer.)

EDIT:

Obama is definitely more of a consensus gatherer than Johnson. But it is an unfair comparison. We have a far different Congress and country than we had in the 1960's. The country is a far more divided country now both politically and ideologically speaking.

Hmmm.
Hadn't seen this.
It's certainly true and it would not be possible for LBJ to pull an LBJ today.
That said, I'm sure he would find more traction than Obama.

Last edited:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Socialized medicine disaster.

I'd be better off putting my money aside (completely tax free) to pay for regular medical care (if prices could be brought down by universal shopping) and buying catastrophic health care insurance.

Pelosi, Reid and by association Obama are morons.

D

deleted15807

So it's basically Romper Room in the Capitol.
This is extraordinary.
And it shows who is fundamentally undemocratic and immature.

Of course it's a Romper Room, just look at Faux News and the 'leaders' of the Right. They can't be classified as adults. If you ever watch The Daily Show and the clips that are shown from Faux News and what some Republican congressman say your mouth just hits the floor.

For example:

It’s fashionable, at least among polite company, to break Republicans into two groups: first, the fringe-nutcase-teabagger-birther types and; second, the "establishment Republican Party." There is increasing compelling evidence, however, that this separation is wholly artificial.
Last night Tom Coburn provided the latest — and perhaps most obnoxious yet — example of this:

(Washington Post) Robert Byrd's Death Seemingly Wished For By Tom Coburn

Going into Monday morning's crucial Senate vote on health-care legislation, Republican chances for defeating the bill had come down to a last, macabre hope. They needed one Democratic senator to die — or at least become incapacitated.

At 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon — nine hours before the 1 a.m. vote that would effectively clinch the legislation’s passage — Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) went to the Senate floor to propose a prayer. "What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight," he said. "That’s what they ought to pray."

It was difficult to escape the conclusion that Coburn was referring to the 92-year-old, wheelchair-bound Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.V.) who has been in and out of hospitals and lay at home ailing. It would not be easy for Byrd to get out of bed in the wee hours with deep snow on the ground and ice on the roads — but without his vote, Democrats wouldn’t have the 60 they needed

A Prayer God Probably Didn't Appreciate

Socialized medicine disaster.

Yes Medicare is an absolute disaster. I dare you to eliminate that program.