Denmark Feminism

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We are already equal, so the most outspoken feminists here tend to be guys ;)

Anyways, hate the term feminist most of the time. It's not about feminism, it's merely about equality - however sickening it is to say that in 2019...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seems like women in Denmark already have what feminist around the world are fighting for. Change their quality of life just a bit and I guarantee women would pick back up that feminist banner in a heart beat.
It's weird how differently they perceive catcalling and and similar things I consider minor but offensive.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So.....Saudi Arabia and Iran are more feminist?

M'kay
Excerpted from the text:

“It depends what you mean. I’m just ordinary, says Charlotte Venvike, a 55-year-old taking her break from the bank where she works. “I’m not marching in the streets.”

According to the data, only a quarter of Danish women consider themselves feminists, a stark contrast to neighbouring Sweden, where 46% do, and a smaller share even than in countries like Italy, Spain and the UK, which otherwise lag far behind Denmark on gender equality.

Even Denmark’s Equality Minister Karen Ellemann declared that she didn’t consider herself one when she took up the post three years ago.

Also, 40% of those polled had an unfavorable view of #MeToo. Their media, according to The Guardian, covered it as a social issue, rather than a political one, and chose to focus on the potential consequences to the falsely accused, even though false reports are the gross minority. So, it comes as no surprise, given that approach, that attitudes among Danish women are different.

How does that compare to Saudi Arabia and Iran? I don't know. I haven't seen the source material, and I don't know if more Saudis and Iranians consider themselves feminists, nor their attitudes toward catcalling, nor if their media have allowed them awareness of #MeToo, nor how they feel about it if they do know about it.

Reactions: TinyPrincess

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Excerpted from the text:

Also, 40% of those polled had an unfavorable view of #MeToo. Their media, according to The Guardian, covered it as a social issue, rather than a political one, and chose to focus on the potential consequences to the falsely accused, even though false reports are the gross minority. So, it comes as no surprise, given that approach, that attitudes among Danish women are different.

How does that compare to Saudi Arabia and Iran? I don't know. I haven't seen the source material, and I don't know if more Saudis and Iranians consider themselves feminists, nor their attitudes toward catcalling, nor if their media have allowed them awareness of #MeToo, nor how they feel about it if they do know about it.

I wrote that mainly because I find many such "surveys" to be irritatingly lacking in depth. It's abundantly obvious that cultural differences affect....well, culture. Feminism isn't going to even be a thing in a place like Iran. So a survey of who considers themselves a feminist has a completely different meaning in Denmark, where perhaps there's sufficient equality for a woman not to feel the need to describe as one....and Saudi Arabia, where no woman could possibly feel comfortable even responding to a survey like this.