Depending on your job title you get treated like crap?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Fluoridia Bidet, Oct 18, 2007.

1. D_Fluoridia Bidet

D_Fluoridia Bidet New Member

What gives? I see waiters/waitresses and people at min wage get treated like shit? What is people's issue with them? It's like society spits and shits on people that work everyday jobs. What the hell?

2. james91320

james91320 New Member

that is true and to me it demonstrates the ignorance of the aggressor.

3. viking1

Gold Member

They do. If you're not rich, powerful, or a celebrity of some kind, you are nothing. Those of us who do the most work, and keep society rolling, make the least money and get the least respect...

4. snoozan

Gold Member

I worked at Home Depot part time after I graduated from college while I was looking for work as a photographer. I was told by one patron that I was stupid, ignorant and needed to go back to working at McDonalds. Why? Because he tried to return something that we had been giving away for free the week before.

Another time I was talking to a woman about basic flower care (i.e. don't leave them in full sun in 95 degree weather and not water them) and she went on to tell me about her home and how wonderful it was, including describing it's architectural style completely incorrectly. She was trying to illustrate how I couldn't possibly understand her situation with her flowers because of where they were located on the front of her home. I finally told her that I was her neighbor and know exactly where she meant because I lived in the same neighborhood and the same model home. I wasn't mean about it, to the contrary. She recoiled acted like I had just spit on her. I guess Home Depot employees aren't supposed to live in (barely) upper middle class neighborhoods.

It sucks. I get a lot more respect as a photographer.

5. D_Fluoridia Bidet

D_Fluoridia Bidet New Member

Well congrats on doing photography it's a great profession and people should respect you for it.

Sorry for my emo threads lately I just don't understand why we can't be nice to each other. That's just retarded how customer's act towards people that serve them and that are nice to them. I am just baffled lately how the world is maybe because I haven't had time to sit back and look at the big picture of things.

I mean I am not saying that I never been there before. I worked at Popeye's Chicken and wow such losers would come in there. I nearly got fired several times for not kissing up to the customer's asses. I would have to calm down before I could punch a bitch. I actually called a lady a "fucking pig" she would always come in with her greased face ordering boxes and boxes of chicken. Fucking lard ass. Now that I see people that were in my position I don't act rude to them. Just because someone makes a mistake on an order doesn't make them the scum of the earth. When it happens I am never rude to the people that serve me cuz I guess without them I can't go behind a counter and do it myself. I dunno I just probably have alot of repressed feelings for rude society.

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

You were right not to return the merchandise- it's gratis, and as such has no redeemable value. How do I know this? I too am an employee of the HD. And speaking as someone who's also cross a trained cashier, and good friends with one of the head cashiers, I can tell that response was dead on balls appropriate.
    It becomes rather insulting when people shitheap their relationship with me/us as a resort to getting their money anyways they can think of, and actually have the audacity to believe that we'll cut them a break because of it.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Crissy did you have/witness a bad experience in a restaurant recently? Cause this is not news, it is however 110% Wrong! Which is why I always make it a point to treat all people who provide me a service with kindness and courtesy.

I know I don't usually; but I agree with you this time.

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Some assholes need to treat other people badly just to impress themselves that they are actually worth something. I see it all over the world, there are worse offenders, but I daren't name names.

9. Osiris

Gold Member

Not all of us do. I worked in retail and know the value of treating the working service sector with respect. I usually tip between 30% to 50% of the bill if the person is doing a good job (this usually upsets my wife because it means I am not going to get her something expensive after dinner :biggrin1: ). Even when they make mistakes, I am usually very kind, it happens. If you get good service someplace, I feel you should let them know and the best way to let someone in food service know is to tip and tip WELL!

Now on the flip side...

There are those who are so flipping rude and bitter? I have been known to not complain, but either walk out altogether and make mention of it to the manager or even better ask that I be moved to another servers section or have another server take care of me.

A Karma story.

I was at P.F. Changs which I have a very good rep at. There was a new server who was also a wine snob. My wife has sulfite and tannen issues so she doesn't drink red wine, only white. So when he came to take the order, my wife orders Orange Beef. Riesling isn't the perfect match, but a good dry Riesling could bump up the orange sweetness of the dish which my wife likes. The waiter says, "Wouldn't you prefer red wine with that?" My wife politely said no. He snorted in a snotty way and walked off. I decided to go over to the bar to mainly tip the bartender for the wonderful martini he had made. Mr. Snotty Server was there, back to me, and fuming. Here is what I heard:

"Would you believe the bitch with the wanna be black guy is ordering Riesling with her beef dinner?"

I took that opp to push by him and ask the bartender to send the manager over and also gave him a $10 tip for the drinks.

I told the manager that I was offended at his behavior and thought it very unfitting for his place as the other staff are nothing but wonderful. I requested a new server. The manager obliged and comped us our meal and later the bad server came over to offer us a dessert on him. I declined saying we weren't really hungry and proceeded to order something from our new server. When we were through, I personally handed our server $40 and thanked him. I took the opportunity to tell the other guy "My tip for you is get a job with the Federal Government and you'll do fine."

Sometimes it is the fault of the service person and not the patron.

10. findfirefox

Gold Member

customer service representative = me

I work in a call center doing mainly billing and technical support for a small ISP, and I have two observations...

First, people calling for help will never hesiate to think and point out that they think your wrong, and then always place the blame squarely on the provider (even though 98% time it is somehow a problem on their side). Second, all customers seem to think we created the billing policy and have direct access to change it oh yelling angerly then magicly gives us access to do something we could not do a minute ago.

People suck.

11. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Um, I don't mean to burst your bubble. The people doing the everyday jobs are doing them because they can't do anything else. Do they deserve respect? Absolutely. But they don't keep things rolling. I can't tell you how many times i've heard people bitch about their jobs and claim that their boss's will be sorry when they quit.

Here's a very important lesson in life. The sooner you learn it the better. I don't care who you are. You can be replaced. This also brings up why CEO's get paid so much. There are only so many people who can run these companies. They aren't doing it for the money. It's just an added perk. Those of you without a business background can't comprehend the amount of time stress and responsability it takes to run a major corporation let alone a small business. These people thrive on it. There are no days off, no vacation etc. While you think they are being overpaid, the reality is that without them you have no job.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly. I think this behavior comes from being insecure with your place in society. They want respect from other's and think that this is how powerful people act. In reality the rich and powerful are usually very polite.

There are dumbass people everywhere and the service industry has it's share too. But that's no excuse to be routinely rude to people waiting on you.

13. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree that low paid workers don't deserve to be disrespected. But knowing that there are people that will treat them like garbage should be a motivation to get out of that situation. It's all a game, the game of life! You can either play the game (even with the unfair rules) or you can complain about it. Having worked some low paying jobs in my life, I decided to get an education and get a better job. I prefer to be a higher paid person that still respects low paid workers.

14. BigDuder

BigDuder New Member

I worked as a doorman during undergrad, and people just assumed I had to be an idiot. I started reading really pretentious books while there to impress them.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is purely off the cuff, but I'd venture to guess that a sizable percentage of those who are rude/mean to service industry personnel haven't ever been employed in a service job.

It's a page taken right out of the "walk a mile in their shoes" book of etiquette. I really don't think people should be allowed to eat in restaurants without having worked at least one shift as a waiter.

I'm always astonished when dining out with people who aren't aware that waitstaff and bartenders in restaurants typically make $2.13 per hour. I know this because when I waited tables in HS in Houston, that's what I made. It's probably gone up a little in the last 15 years, but probably not by much...less than the rate of inflation, anyhow. Their wages aren't shit...it's their tips from service that make up their compensation. So, 15% to me is the baseline minimum...if the job is done correctly and perfunctorily, this is what I leave them. Anything a waiter does that impresses me (again, having firsthand knowledge of working in a restaurant opens your eyes to things others miss) makes it go up...and most of the time, this is the case. I usually wind up leaving 20% on most checks.

Also, I typically don't come down below that baseline. I tend to be fairly forgiving, particularly with issues that aren't the server's fault...but if I think the waiter is doing a shitty enough job that I'm considering stiffing him on the gratuity, then it's usually bad enough that I'll get a manager involved. It doesn't happen very often, but I think management should be aware when it does. Also, anytime there's a problem with the food, I always let the manager know that the waiter wasn't the problem (unless he obviously was).

Most waiters I come across are personable, or at the very least, they're polite. Every now and again, I'll get sat in some surly bitch's or sonofabitch's section...but I don't make an issue of it unless it's affecting their service. I can't say I understand it, though...the service industry is always hiring, so if you don't like your job, then fucking quit. Don't show up in a dour mood and shit all over the dining experiences of paying customers.

You guys are right, though...I really don't understand why some people feel the need to be condescending to service workers. It's much more fun to flirt and be chatty with them. Smiles are much easier to walk away with, anyhow. Mean people suck.

16. viking1

Gold Member

I think it's the other way around, and this just shows your arrogance, and the arrogance of others high up in the business world.

CEO's can also be replaced. Don't tell me they don't take vacations. I see stuff on TV and in magazines all the time where these top CEO's globe hop all over the world doing this and that.

Let all the people in everyday jobs set down and see what happens. Let all the sales clerks, truck drivers, mechanics, etc set down. When you have no food, fuel, raw materials, electricity, etc. Then who won't have a job?
    The big shots are just the deal pullers. The rest of us do all the real work.
    I hope I see the day that we get tired enough of this to show you that, too.

How many menial workers committed suicide after the crash of '29?
    Not very many. How many big shots jumped from the office windows on Wall Street? Quite a few. They couldn't stand the thoughts of going back to the life of the poor working man. The life most of us know everyday.
    My job really doesn't depend on people like you, but your job does depend on people like me...

17. findfirefox

Gold Member

First, my job is all about talking to the customers, all of them, you have a billing question, you contact, you have a problem, you contact, without customer contact there our no customers, WE (The mindless peons) keep things rolling, without someone to do the work nothing gets done, unless the CEO does everything. (Guess what, they don't)

Second, you said "I don't care who you are. You can be replaced" then said "there are only so many people who can run these companies." Thats a little bit hypocritical, and untrue a CEO can be replaced just as easily as I can.

Third, Lie lie lie, my CEO just want to South Africa in his private jet for 3 weeks, hey he was gone and I still had a job, how freaking strange is that? The company kept rolling while the CEO was gone for weeks, wow.

Thank You! Without us they don't have a job.

Edit- I should say we need each other...

18. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

One of the problems is that management does not care if the employee is treated like crap. All they care about is returning customers and $$$.

19. vindicari

vindicari Member

Albums:
    As a carpenter I had occasion to work in a wealthy persons home, Her husband had his own successfull business she drove a porsche blah blah,anyway she was the most obnoxious person I had ever had to work for, rude, arrogant, downright ignorant. I happened to be talking to my sister and mentioned her, she thought for a moment and said to me" I think I know who you mean, she went to school with me, tell her Helen said hello" When I told her this she said " Helen who?" "Helen Mclaughlin" said I, It was as if I had hit her with a hammer, the look of shock on her face, said it all. Her attitude changed immediately, ever so nice cause she knew, I knew, she came from the same background as me, and wasn,t the upperclass twat she pretended to be.

20. frizzle

Gold Member

Well all low-paid underacheiving jobs are seen as this. I'll admit, I used to take the piss out of people who work at McDonalds. But after working there for a series of months, I can truely understand how hard they work and I never judge people on if they work in that type of buisness.

Draft saved Draft deleted