Depression and drinking.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Kassokilleri2ff, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Kassokilleri2ff

I drink, with friends. I like to go out and get SMASHED! Why? because its fun. But other than that, i have absolutely no desire to drink whatsoever. The only time i'll drink is when im partying with my friends.

So it baffles me to see that people drink to forget their problems, or because they are depressed. I don't know what to think of it. My friend just broke up with her bf and she is obviously depressed, and I'm talking to her on aim and shes supposedly drunk (its aim so i can't tell how much obviously). But from what i've seen from drinkin with her she likes to drink alot.

I feel bad, she shouldn't be drinking to forget her problems, i think its really really stupid. Should i tell her she shouldn't? I don't know if thats viable lol. She will probably forget anyways if she's drunk lol. I don't know, it makes me feel bad to know that she and other people, who are depressed have to drink to drown their pains away.

I'm afraid that she will drink too much and get alcohol poisoning or something. I'm like oh say 5,000 miles away so theres not much i could do, not like i know whats going on at her house, but it makes me fear for her safety :(

I dunno what to do ima cry just thinkin that she'll hurt herself lolz. Damn drunk fool talkin all kinds of crazy stuff on aim, maybe if i keep her attention long enough she will get tired and go to sleep and stop drinking soon :)

2. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Sounds like she may be an alcoholic. She will have to want help for that before she can get help, though. Many alcoholics are in denial about it.

I'm like you - I drink (although I don't get smashed, I just drink a little) at parties and such, but have no desire to drink any other time. Plus I really do NOT want to drink if I'm depressed. It just makes it worse. I prefer to drink (a little) when I'm in a good mood, and with friends.

3. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't worry about acute alcohol poisoning. That usually only happens to people playing stupid shot games.

If she drinks a great deal for many years, she WILL damage her liver. But if it's only for a few months, she should be ok.

So, no. Don't tell her NOT to drink. Instead, encourage her to do something else -- tell her to buy a bicycle and start cycling or something.

4. Kassokilleri2ff

oooh drinking games, yea that makes good sense lol. Thanks i feel better now :)

5. D_Joseba_Guntertwat

D_Joseba_Guntertwat New Member

People drink when they're feeling down because when you're drunk the whole world is a party, even if you're the only drunk one.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    For some, the pain and side effects associated with the overuse of alcohol or drugs are less than the pain and side effects of everyday life.

7. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

If I'm sad, depressed, or angry about something....alcohol is the last thing on my mind.

I've known a guy for years who, on too many occasions, has crawled into a bottle to handle his stress.
    But recently a friend of his actually told him they didn't like being around him when he "got in one of his moods"....that seemed to get his attention.
    And, unfortunately, this guy is more than capable of being a poster man for the line: "Instant asshole - just add alcohol."

He's quite civilized when sober.
    He'll often go for weeks without drinking Anything alcoholic.
    So I find the binge drinking more than a little disturbing.

He's also taking an anti-depressant....75mg of Effexor......that can only do a limited amount of good..... he has issues he refuses to address and until he deals with those (entire family wants him to get counseling).....I don't see anything changing and that is a very sad thing.
    He does not want to talk to anyone.

About your long distance friend.....agree that while she is drunk, do not tell her to stop...she may drink more.....
    Bring it up when she's sober.
    Do you have any mutual friends ?....anyone who lives close to her ?
    Maybe you can find out just how bad the drinking is.

I'm sorry I'm not much help......
    I hope she finds something to distract her from her misery till some time has passed and the breakup isn't so raw.

8. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

all drinking seems like a waste of time to me.

but different people do it for different reasons. For me, to obliterate your sense of reality every night and try to escape your problems seems like no better or worse a reason than because it is "fun" to get completely hammered with friends.

9. viking1

Gold Member

I agree with you. That's why I don't drink. I've never been drunken in my life, or under the influence of illicit drugs.

10. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

I've only had one full blown hangover in my life and that was before 1979.

I didn't need a second lesson on that shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted