Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey guys, I have been medcally diagnoised with depression and I have notice that have a inability to cry? Today i had some bad news and again i was unable to cry where i would of usually. I'm sure that it must be related to the depression. Any help is welcome.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
are you taking anti-depressants?

If so....

question asked and answered.

my experience has been (I'm 26 and been on antidepressants for 13-14 years now) that while taking most SSRI's, I loose the ability to cry.

It sucks.

Talk to a professional about it

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am taking anti depressents, side this one of the side effects? Because I wasn't told about this niether did I read about anywhere? I feel it very disconserting and uncomfortable not being able to cry? I feel I i'm being denied a massive release of emotion and a basic human right? Is they're anything I can do? Anything helpfull?

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am taking anti depressents, side this one of the side effects? Because I wasn't told about this niether did I read about anywhere? I feel it very disconserting and uncomfortable not being able to cry? I feel I i'm being denied a massive release of emotion and a basic human right? Is they're anything I can do? Anything helpfull?

what anti-depressant?

my experience has been that different ones have different side effects...

I agree with you about crying

you never know that its needed, until you loose the ability to do it.... That sucks ass

I thought I had permanently lost the ability to cry, but a few years ago....I just about lost it, and cried for the first time in probabaly 10 + years.....it was what kept me from going over the edge

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Apart from any side effects of medication, theoretically we cry when we are sufficiently distanced from what is distressing us. In other words we cry when the initial impact of the hurt (shock, disbelief, immediacy) is ending. It is part of the recovery from hurt and doesn't happen to the same extent when the hurting is still there. to give a gross example, you do not cry when being tortured, you cry when it stops.

Being depressed in itself means that it may not be possible to feel sufficient "distance" or the reassurance that the actual hurting has ended.

I agree that crying is part of the healing and release. It's a pity that you can't cry yet. As the depression lifts and when the medication is not numbing you out, then you can cry.

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To unabear: thank you so much for your advice

To track14: I feel all of the above. I feel its abnoramal not being able to cry, miss it as a way to vent, I feel like I can't release it without crying and without crying it's building up and geting worse and I can't take it!

D_Garmanswait Glassnads

Experimental Member
Media
Maybe it's not the right medication for you, if crying is that important. However weighing up the pro's and con's might mean that missing the crying is worth it, you'll get used to it eventually. How long have you been on meds?

Some times I feel like my medicine makes me happier then what should be normal and wish I could lower the dose but when I think about my bad days, a lower does might be enough to push me off balance.

BIGDP

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ummm -- I have to chime in here. I have taken anti-depressants for years, and my ability to cry has not been diminished, but I need to point out that I tend to cry over happy things, not sad ones.

This did not preclude me from crying bitterly when my mother passed away suddenly several years ago. The first two years were especially hard.
DP

Last edited:

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If been on them about 8months. I feel that my dose is not high enough for me, I never get any happy days just normal or low. I feel that natural responses to emotions luke crying for me, are vital. So the loss of that is devistating!

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If been on them about 8months. I feel that my dose is not high enough for me, I never get any happy days just normal or low. I feel that natural responses to emotions luke crying for me, are vital. So the loss of that is devistating!

What is the name of the anti depressant?

I've been on just about all of them, so if you could tell me the name....I might could help you out. What have you been diagnosed with?

BIGDP

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just to disclose -- I'm on Wellbutrin (400 mg) and Effexor (75 mg) per day. I can still cry, but like I said, it's mostly for happy reasons.

I can also still get off nicely which I could not do with Prozac and some others.
DP

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have trouble crying and I have never been on anti-depressants. I've only cried two times in the past 10 years or so. About 10 years ago when my brother in laws father died and I was holding my nephew and realized that his paternal grandfather would never get to see him grow up (but there were other, in hindsight dumb, stresses at the time).

I tried to cry at the funeral of a person in their 40's who died via suicide but could not.

Most recently I cried after I said goodbye to my mother when I was moving to Florida. It hit me that this might be the last time I ever see her. I tried to compose myself as I got a ride home, but wept at home. It felt good.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm on (and have been on this combo for idk...5-6 years) serzone and wellbutrin sr.

Been on prozac, zoloft, wellbutrin xl (didn't have any other emotions other than happiness, anger, and anxiety) zyprexa, effexor, clonidon, paxil, celexa.....the list goes on and on....

each one had side effects......

I'm one of those people who....if it has a side effect, I'm going to get it....and get it bad. Hence the many many many different meds I've been on

atomicTIGER

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello
I have same problem--I don't take meds but I have been through so much in my life I am harden over and don't cry when most people would. BUT one thing I have found helpful is music. To listen to very sad music can help me to cry and feel better--the saddest music I know is Selena, Carpenters(last Monday it was also rainy here as well as a Monday!), Juliun Lennon, Olivia Newton John(new stuff), Shania Twain and others. It makes me feel better the next day. Maybe try music...just a suggestion

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hello
I have same problem--I don't take meds but I have been through so much in my life I am harden over and don't cry when most people would. BUT one thing I have found helpful is music. To listen to very sad music can help me to cry and feel better--the saddest music I know is Carpenters(last Monday it was also rainy here as well as a Monday!), Juliun Lennon, Olivia Newton John(new stuff), Shania Twain and others. It makes me feel better the next day. Maybe try music...just a suggestion

I agree with you there.....though not on the music selection lol.

I've found that when I'm really pissed off and need to release....I put on some marlyn manson or some other pissed off hard rock.

If I need to cry....I put in something sad....I can't think of any really good songs off the top of my head other than Arms of an Angel by sarah mclaughlin.....

Music is an excellent facilitator for emotions and emotional expression

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i have tried music in the past but not to great avail, it ends up making me feel no better or worse tahn i had previously, but i havent been thorough so i shall try that again.

on the medication side of things i am on fluoxetine which the americans know as prozac.