Depression and inablility to cry?

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been taking them for 7 years. Like others have said, if there is a side effect I will get it.

I'm on effexor xr at the moment, about to self medicate lithium orotate to see if that helps.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey guys, I have been medcally diagnoised with depression and I have notice that have a inability to cry? Today i had some bad news and again i was unable to cry where i would of usually. I'm sure that it must be related to the depression. Any help is welcome.
The inabilty to cry is very normal and common in someone who suffers from depression. It is the inabilty to deal with emotions and letting go of the anxiety and anger that causes the depression. Anxiety and depression are one and the same. I spent many years down this dark road and i can tell you will see the light once again as i now see it. Im here if you ever want to talk.

Last edited:

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Don't feel bad about not crying...
I've hardly ever cried as an adult...
I've been very sad, even extremely sad, but sometimes the tears just don't come...

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I cried for about a month after I broke up with my first real boyfriend in 1990. (I had never cried that much before that). Then I got depressed and didn't cry again until 2003. Anti-depressants had nothing to do with it since I wasn't on any. More recently I have loosened up a lot and don't have an inhibition about crying anymore. It is psychological ...

Last edited:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I cried for about a month after I broke up with my first real boyfriend in 1990. (I had never cried that much before that). Then I got depressed and didn't cry again until 2003. Anti-depressants had nothing to do with it since I wasn't on any. More recently I have loosened up a lot and don't have an inhibition about crying anymore. It is psychological ...

maybe for some....but if you're on antidepresants and can't cry, there's a high probability that its the meds keeping you from crying.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i have tried music in the past but not to great avail, it ends up making me feel no better or worse tahn i had previously, but i havent been thorough so i shall try that again.

on the medication side of things i am on fluoxetine which the americans know as prozac.

Not to pry into your life too much but maybe you should talk to a therapist about this.

atomicTIGER

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not to pry into your life too much but maybe you should talk to a therapist about this.
Therapist are basically useless and are only listening because you are paying them. Most of them once you leave are laughing and making fun of you --of what you told them.

Nala

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Thank you all for giving me some insight in this. I am now able to understand why my son said he wasn't able to cry while he wanted to so bad when my mother in law died last month.

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
well i am supposed to be taking to some one about things in general (to do with this i mean) but im stil waiting for it to come though, the NHS isnt knows for its promptness? do you think this will help?

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
Hey, Beanie, first ... <big brotherly hugs> to you if that's OK. I've been depressed and on meds for it in the past, and it was a tough road uphill, but I made it. I just wanted to let you know that it's possible, even though sometimes it feels like it's not.

I'm no expert, but there were times I couldn't cry when I was depressed. God, that was painful, and I don't know how things work in Wales, but over here in the states, my regular doc ran me through a number of anti-depressants until I went to see a psychiatrist who specialized in meds, and he knew right away what to put me on. So not every doctor knows what it takes when it comes to meds for depression. Feel free to hit me back or PM me if you want to talk more about it.

--Kris

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ahah thanks kris, i really do need a hug. currently i have only been on one type of meds and no talk of changing them or anything it was kind of like, youv got this, take these and come back if it gets worse, not very helpful. i think i will have to get pro-active with the docs about this because this cant go on, im not getting any better and if anything bad happens in my life, which is inevitable, then i just get worse. i cant be having a nervous breakdown at 20!

erqwa

Just Browsing
Media
I'd say that after a certain point you realize that crying isn't always effective. If you seek it for release, you may be subconsciously be weighing it against the REAL satisfaction of a thorough solution to your problems.

I'd say that no matter what's happening, analyze your data properly, and choose your actions wisely and humbly.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
ahah thanks kris, i really do need a hug. currently i have only been on one type of meds and no talk of changing them or anything it was kind of like, youv got this, take these and come back if it gets worse, not very helpful. i think i will have to get pro-active with the docs about this because this cant go on, im not getting any better and if anything bad happens in my life, which is inevitable, then i just get worse. i cant be having a nervous breakdown at 20!

Hey, Beanie, one of the hardest things to do when you're depressed ... is get really proactive about being depressed! I just sucks the energy of life out of you, huh?!? I applaud you for the idea of getting on top of the situation. Seems to me that if they gave you meds, it's not getting better although you've been sticking with the plan, you are entitled to go back and say, "What's Plan B?"